UK PM May asks EU for Brexit delay until June 30

webfact

2 hours ago, nontabury said:

So your saying the U.K. has FULL control over immigration policy. Well that’s not true. We have absolutely no control over immigration from the E.u. Countries. And there lies the rub.

If the tin pots in Brussels had agreed that the U.K could operate a points system for E.u. countries, then maybe we would not be witnessing the Pantomime that is now taking place.

In the immediate aftermath of the Brexit referendum result Liam Fox went on tour to India and the Philippines.

In India he was told no trade talks without more UK visa for Indians.

In the Philippines he was seeking cheap replacements for EU workers.

Your ‘Control of borders’ is hogwash.

The UK needs immigration, it can get that from the EU nations with whom the UK shares wide historical and cultural history, or the UK can import cheap labour from Asia.

Liam Fox’s Asian tour suggests the latter is the plan.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Well anything is believable if you can swallow the idea that offshores Hedge Fund manager Reed-Mogg has the interests of ordinary working people in mind.

Should be investigated for insider trading, with the pound and shares swinging up and down he is in a privileged position to take advantage of volatile market knowing what going to happen before it is made public.

16 hours ago, nontabury said:

So your saying the U.K. has FULL control over immigration policy. Well that’s not true. We have absolutely no control over immigration from the E.u. Countries. And there lies the rub.

If the tin pots in Brussels had agreed that the U.K could operate a points system for E.u. countries, then maybe we would not be witnessing the Pantomime that is now taking place.

Of course we do and have done so throughout our association with the EU. UK Immigration could and would reject any entry from a EU person if that person was deemed not to be suitable for work or citizenship in the UK. It's a fallacy that 'freedom of movement' is not subject to any scrutiny or control. 

Besides that, I would rather have EU citizens entering the UK than from 'elsewhere'.  

10 hours ago, Basil B said:

Should be investigated for insider trading, with the pound and shares swinging up and down he is in a privileged position to take advantage of volatile market knowing what going to happen before it is made public.

I quite agree. IMO, at the very least, he should declare a conflict of interest and resign from his position as chair of ERG.

16 hours ago, nontabury said:

The problem with you reasonable suggestion, is would it still mean the free movement of people. as in the case of the agreement with Norway.

So what? The NHS could use a few thousand nurses right now, but many have returned to their EU countries to jobs there owing to the uncertainty of Brexit and possible lack of job security in the UK.  

And as for those Brits who are unemployed and living off the dole blaming immigration instead of getting off their backsides and finding employment elsewhere.

For Labour MPs to insist that a referendum is their red line is, IMO, a catastrophic cop-out.

The government and MPs are in their posts to govern the UK, albeit their attempts at it have failed abysmally, and it looks like parliament would vote against a no-deal and May would be forced to stay in the EU. 

The UK populace, in the main, are not in any position to comment on or vote for plan A, B, or C, because they know F-all about how to govern a country. It'll come down to roughly the same vote as last time with a split country result of around c.50%.

If May manages to achieve a Customs Union agreement with the EU that is legally binding by the UK government, she could pass her deal, with some Labour support - and I don't see Corbyn rejecting that. 

Some troll posts and replies have been removed. 

A post in violation of fair use policy has been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

Edited by metisdead

14 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Well anything is believable if you can swallow the idea that offshores Hedge Fund manager Reed-Mogg has the interests of ordinary working people in mind.

10 hours ago, Basil B said:

Actually, Jacob Rees-Mogg's hedge fund Somerset Capital Management has been quite smart on behalf of investors hedging against Sterling adversely affected by the risks of Brexit. The stupid ones are his political supporters and in particular expats exposed to a Sterling income stream without any hedge whatsover. Loser fodder on the economics front.

Especially the organised crime syndicates from some eu countries??????

Of course we do and have done so throughout our association with the EU. UK Immigration could and would reject any entry from a EU person if that person was deemed not to be suitable for work or citizenship in the UK. It's a fallacy that 'freedom of movement' is not subject to any scrutiny or control. 

Besides that, I would rather have EU citizens entering the UK than from 'elsewhere'.  

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

16 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Actually, Jacob Rees-Mogg's hedge fund Somerset Capital Management has been quite smart on behalf of investors hedging against Sterling adversely affected by the risks of Brexit. The stupid ones are his political supporters and in particular expats exposed to a Sterling income stream without any hedge whatsover. Loser fodder on the economics front.

That's assuming one is wealthy enough to be able to hedge sterling.  I'm not, as are many other Ex-pats, so please remove or amend your disdainful response.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

That's assuming one is wealthy enough to be able to hedge sterling.  I'm not, as are many other Ex-pats, so please remove or amend your disdainful response.

There are those affected by the inability to hedge Sterling who didn't choose the current situation and then there are those similar who did and continue to choose not only Brexit but Hard Brexit. No disdain for the former. It is the latter who can presumably stew in their own juice. Or go full cult and embrace it. That seems quite popular with the Hard Brexiteer crowd. 

Edited by SheungWan

3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Is Talahnut's post from another thread?  I ask as I can't see it on this thread.

Or was it one of the posts deleted for being either a troll or a reply to the troll post?

Seems like it was removed from this thread. Maybe it was off-topic?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Loiner said:

IMG_0157.PNG
No, Poland, Ireland, Romania and the rest.

At the end of 2017 there were just over 4,000 EU nationals in prisons in England and Wales. That’s around 5% of the overall prison population—the same proportion as for the last five years. The total number of EU prisoners dropped by around 100 in 2017 compared to the year before.

EU nationals made up 43% of foreign national prisoners in England and Wales in December 2017—up from 38% in 2013.
That’s from Full fact, so probably massaged slightly. https://fullfact.org/crime/eu-prisoners/

NATIONALITY OF PRISONERS England and Wales, at 31 March 2018.

Total % British Nationals 73,711 89%

Foreign Nationals 9,318 11%, Includes top-ten nationals from Pakistan, Somalia, Nigeria, India.

I would suggest that the 4,000 number of EU and EEA prisoners from about 30 countries is small beer in comparison - even though they alone are costing the taxpayer about £140m per year.

Just an update on prison statistics. I have to delve back into my memory for this, but the statistics are collected once a year. That means that those with short sentences, unless they land on the particular date they're officially counted aren’t visible and most inmates are short term. In other words, you could get a three month sentence, then a month, then another three months and not even appear on the statistics. If you count the prison statistics by that criteria it’s probably three times higher than the official one.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, John V said:

Just an update on prison statistics. I have to delve back into my memory for this, but the statistics are collected once a year. That means that those with short sentences, unless they land on the particular date they're officially counted aren’t visible and most inmates are short term. In other words, you could get a three month sentence, then a month, then another three months and not even appear on the statistics. If you count the prison statistics by that criteria it’s probably three times higher than the official one.

Or relatively lower because many locals are not being counted (if what you say is correct)?

Anyway, I still fail to see what the point is.