Haze-hit northerners feel the pinch, poll shows

webfact

Haze-hit northerners feel the pinch, poll shows

By The Nation

531aadda16b3deb277f0bb08e71b3b5b-sld.jpe

Doi Luang Chiang Dao ,Chiang Mai

PEOPLE in the North are burdened by additional costs to cope with the ongoing haze crisis even as more forest fires erupted in some areas yesterday.

A Nida Poll survey of 1,253 respondents who lived in nine northern provinces and encountered the haze on April 4 to 5, found that nearly 57 per cent of them had to bear additional costs to protect themselves from the pollution.

It was not revealed how much more they had to spend. About 43.10 percent said they did not have to spend anything extra to take care of themselves. The poll also found that 36.47 per cent of the respondents said they were seriously affected by the problem, while only 9.26 per cent said they were unaffected.

About 60 per cent said they were allergic to the haze, with some |suffering from colds and runny nose, while 49.34 per cent said they faced respiratory difficulties. About 48 per cent said they had sore eyes. 

Nearly 84 per cent said they had used facemasks to protect |themselves and 29 per cent said they preferred to stay at home.

The Pollution Control Department yesterday tried to downplay the |situation while forest fires still erupted in several areas.

PCD director-general Pralong Damrongthai said that as of 9am |yesterday, the concentration of fine dust particles – PM 2.5 – had reduced in several areas compared to the previous day. The overall air quality had improved to moderately fine to health-affecting.

Three areas in Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai were severely affected by the haze during the past weeks and were identified as the most dangerous for health. The |concentration of PM 2.5 microns in 24 hours were measured at 47 to 123 micrograms per cubic metre, still exceeding the safety limit of 50mcg. 

The department asked for cooperation from local residents to desist from setting fires in their localities. Those prone to health problems should avoid exposure to pollution and outdoor activities, he warned.

From Chiang Rai to Mae Hong Son, new forest fires still erupted along the mountain ridges bordering Thailand and Myanmar and parts of Laos.

Officials and volunteers faced difficulties reaching the sites and |dousing the fires due to the steep slopes. In mountainous Mae Hong Son, as many as 128 hotspots were still detected.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30367327

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-08

Am absolutely Sure that will be 100% effective

Yes the stupidity is just unbelievable - after the air got much better yesterday where we live in Doi Saket - some idiot started burning yesterday afternoon near the Chinese Cemetery with huge black clouds of smoke visible from kilometers away! These people are just too stupid and ignorant! When the firefighters / police arrived there was nobody there and apparently nobody knew who had started the fire!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

had to bear additional costs to protect themselves from the pollution.

Typical stupid article focussing on the tiny cost of protecting oneself while ignoring the massive cost from the slow down in business in the region.

• Thanks 1

Several of the people I employ in various capacities ( e.g. Thai massage, caddying ) have complained to me the smoke is causing the number of customers they get to shrink quite significantly. They are not in any mood to accept government placebo assurances.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lungstib said:

My word, spontaneous combustion. The fires just erupted. I have been living in it and yes, its caused sore eyes, itchy throat and congestion but its cost me nothing in true monetary terms, just made me feel miserable and angry at the people causing it. The worst disappointment is knowing the authorities are doing nothing to stop it.

They will, eventually, if tourists and expats will not choose Thailand any more..........

Edited by hansnl

5 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Yes the stupidity is just unbelievable - after the air got much better yesterday where we live in Doi Saket - some idiot started burning yesterday afternoon near the Chinese Cemetery with huge black clouds of smoke visible from kilometers away! These people are just too stupid and ignorant! When the firefighters / police arrived there was nobody there and apparently nobody knew who had started the fire!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The burning in the cemetery is a annual Chinese tradition known as Qing Ming or tomb sweeping day. It is a filial duty of all Chinese to clean the tombs of their parents and ancestors. It is only a few days and would not contribute much to the pollution. However they should also be responsible to burn in a controlled manner like in bins.