2 Year Old Needs Heart Surgery - How To Pay?

hsoa

What resources are available to help a Burmese migrant worker whose 2 year old daughter needs heart surgery? In order to have the procedure done, a deposit of B 400,000 is needed to cover the estimated cost of cardiac catheterization for Atrial Septal Defect. The child was born in Bangkok, but that apparently does not make her eligible for aid from the Thai social health insurance scheme.

We need information. There must be some entities that can help. I have no idea where to start looking. Any leads provided will be much appreciated.

I have no firm knowledge of this situation and can only suggest trying to get it on social media or Thai newspapers/TV hopefully someone here may have better ideas good luck and hope for some good news for the toddler????

Not sure if it's the right person but maybe google the Pavena foundation, founded and operated by a now famous / credible Thai lady Khun Pavena, she's found help for many cases where Thai women and especially kids are in dire need, neglected, in danger from domestic violence, sick etc. She seems to have good connections and co-operation from government agencies and the police. 

I just don't know if she extends her reach to migrants / migrant kids but surely worth a try and  maybe she's much more aware of resources available for migrants and migrant kids.

Good luck.

Another example for why it's important to get health insurance. Before anybody says she has no money, migrant workers pay 1300 baht per year for this according to what i found on Google.

Now she can do what other people who don't have health insurance do as well, beg for money on gofundme, maybe she is lucky because people feel sad for a two year old

There is a health scheme open to migrant workers which entails them to the 30 baht system. However as far as I know it does not extend to their children.

The cost you mention (1) cannot be just for the cardiac cath, must also include septal repair and (2) sounds like a private hospital. Go to a government hospital, the cost will be about 1/3  - 1/5 as much.  Still obviously more than they can afford but more feasible amount to raise.

You can also try contacting  The Cardiac Children Foundation of Thailand.  No idea if it would help cover surgery costs for a migrant but certainly worth talking to them:

2, Soi Soonvijai, New Petchburi Rd., Bang Kapi, Huai Khwang, Bangkok 10310 Thailand

Tel:+6627166071, +6627166070

Mon-Fri  08:00-17:00

http://www.doctordek.com/index.php?option=com_content

If they cannot help they may be able to suggest a place that can.

Lastly I suggest you bring them to St Louis Hospital on Sathorn and go to the office of the "St Louis Foundation" which I think are on the ground floor (not sure). It provides assistance to the poor though I do nto know the details.

Perhaps the people at Burma Children Medical Fund could help.  Although the organization serves migrants along the Burma/Thai border and the parents and child are now in Bangkok, it's possible that they could refer the family to one of their care providers in Bangkok or Chiang Mai.  

In Chiang Mai, the families stay in a BCMF family/patient house while the child has surgery at Suan Dok (Chiang Mai University) hospital.  The condition the child has is a very typical case for BCMF.  https://burmachildren.com/

• Like 1