Denied entry at Don Meang

On 4/11/2019 at 12:01 PM, Penefattore said:

Being denied entry while having a visa is plain outrageous.

I disagree. It might depend on where that Visa was issued.

The IO may feel the issuing consulate did not confirm requirements.

Also in the case of a Multiple Entry, the 'tourist's' circumstances may have changed. 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2019 at 6:01 AM, Penefattore said:

Thai Immigration has really gone ape.  If they want to put a limit on the days a tourist can stay in Thailand , they must issue a precise rule , so that people know if they can enter or not.

So you want to screw things up for everyone and not just the few that get stopped!

Being denied entry while having a visa is plain outrageous.

MFA website;

10.  Royal Thai Embassies and Royal Thai Consulates-General have the authority to issue visas to foreigners for travel to Thailand.  The authority to permit entry and stay in Thailand, however, is with the immigration officers.  In some cases, the immigration officer may not permit foreigner holding a valid visa entry into Thailand should the immigration officer find reason to believe that he or she falls into the category of aliens prohibited from entering Thailand under the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979).”

At the moment , they are acting like a restaurant chasing away their best customers , which is idiotic to say the least. All money gifted to Cambodia , Vietnam and Indonesia.

Or the customer that eats the bread for a starter and orders the cheapest option on the menu!

How much money is Thailand missing out on by reducing long term tourism? You must have the figures to back up your opinion. 

Thailand doesn’t have a problem with long term visitors as long as they have been vetted and hold the right visa/permit.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, elviajero said:

So you want to screw things up for everyone and not just the few that get stopped.

no , I want to avoid people wasting money for air tickets and hotel reservations only to be bounced at the airport and have to waste more money to buy another air ticket and reserve another accommodation.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Penefattore said:
23 hours ago, elviajero said:

So you want to screw things up for everyone and not just the few that get stopped.

no , I want to avoid people wasting money for air tickets and hotel reservations only to be bounced at the airport and have to waste more money to buy another air ticket and reserve another accommodation.

And the price to pay for a few people being inconvenienced (most know the risk) is that everyone gets limited to 180 days per year or similar.

Anyone that hasn’t got the message that you can be denied if you stay too long as a tourist has their head in the sand and only themselves to blame if trying to beat the system.

• Like 1

I for sure would want to see it in writing and confirmed if i were to plan on 6 months in Thailand, 6 months in Malaysia or similar yearly planning and investing in it. But now the worry would still be there. So yes, clear rules would be better.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 2:31 PM, elviajero said:

And the price to pay for a few people being inconvenienced (most know the risk) is that everyone gets limited to 180 days per year or similar.

Anyone that hasn’t got the message that you can be denied if you stay too long as a tourist has their head in the sand and only themselves to blame if trying to beat the system.

but holy crap , if I don't know how much is "too long"  how can I plot my trip back to Thailand ? This uncertainty has potential devastating consequences as many previous visitors are scared to come back

• Like 2

but holy crap , if I don't know how much is "too long"  how can I plot my trip back to Thailand ? This uncertainty has potential devastating consequences as many previous visitors are scared to come back
The same way you plan your trip when visiting other countries. Just ignore Thailand and think you're going to Japan, Singapore, or Hong Kong. How r u going to plan your trip?

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

56 minutes ago, Penefattore said:

Absolutely. I'm one of them. Cut down the number of trips for this year from 4 to 2.
Next year? Uncertain if I visit Thailand. I'd like to have a vacation there and spend a few 100,000 Baht doing so, but I have to fear to be treated like a criminal by some IOs just because of a few stamps in the passport.

31 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

The same way you plan your trip when visiting other countries. Just ignore Thailand and think you're going to Japan, Singapore, or Hong Kong. How r u going to plan your trip?

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I don't know the visa regulations of the countries you mentioned, but before I plan another vacation in the same country again, I will surely check if my plans are according to those countries laws.
But if you look for a time limit there simply is none in Thailand. It would be pretty easy for an embassy to deny a back to back visa application or for the immigration denying an extension of visa exempt / tourist visa if the applicant has already spend the maximum allowed time in the country.
But thats logical western thinking which does not fill any pockets......

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Peterbilt said:

Uncertain if I visit Thailand. I'd like to have a vacation there and spend a few 100,000 Baht doing so, but I have to fear to be treated like a criminal by some IOs just because of a few stamps in the passport.

Try Cambo, VIetnam, Bahamas. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Penefattore said:

That's the idea - fear.  That is what this clique in control of a few entry-points want - you (and others) never coming back - or, at least, not often or for very long.  They don't care about the Thais this policy harms, as your money is spent in Vietnam, etc instead.  

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

That is what this clique in control of a few entry-points want - you (and others) never coming back - or, at least, not often or for very long.

More than happy to oblige them ????

19 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Those are expensive places, so 99% of folks won't be staying long or often.  People stay in Thailand more-often/longer because it is a "discount" vacation destination - similar to Cambodia, Vietnam, Latin America, and parts of the Caribbean - all of which have a large portion of their populations who struggle to get above a bare-subsistence income. 

Of course, those other countries recognize this, and treat visitors from higher-wage nations in a welcoming way, to ensure the more-frequent / longer stays which maximize the spending/revenue which benefits their citizens.   Thailand seems to want to pretend to be like Singapore in terms of tourist-immigration, yet while their working-class is paid like Mexicans (~$10 USD / day) - even creating a cheap-worker "LA-Visa," to ensure Thai wages remain low. 

Granted, HK, Singapore and Japan (also Taiwan and South Korea) developed when global capital was willing to pay relatively-higher labor-wages to counter the appeal of communism.  Some even received "free trade" cutouts to the USA at a time when tariff-barriers to protect the working-class were still high (fueling the early Asian-Tiger syndrome).  Those conditions no longer exist, given the belief that - in the absence of the USSR and the sellout of China (from a Marxist-perspective) - capitalist countries don't have to demonstrate a "better life for workers than communism," any more.  

Edited by JackThompson