Do you really care about lower # vistiors to Thailand?

I'm just curious.     

I personally gain nothing from higher tourist visitors and  actually gain from lower numbers coming here.     I live here and more visitors means crowding and increased traffic and  etc. for me.

If you care about lower numbers can you explain why it matters to you?

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I think the only people caring about lower tourist numbers are businesses who make money from them and if somebody's favorite restaurant or bar is closing because of a lack of customers.

I fully agree with you, jackdd.

That's why I posted the question.   I don't want businesses to cease operation  but as this forum continually posts the topic it seems  it should be a matter of concern to the expat who lives in Thailand.     Oh my goodness the tourists numbers are down.    Run to the hills..

I'm fully Ok to have less crowded roads and restaurants/bars as long as businesses can survive.

I think T.A.T. would beg to differ that there are less Tourists,

there are less Expats thats for sure,and maybe less Tourists

up North due to the terrible smoke .but still hoards of Chinese

about.

regards Worgeordie

5 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I think T.A.T. would beg to differ that there are less Tourists,

there are less Expats thats for sure,and maybe less Tourists

up North due to the terrible smoke .but still hoards of Chinese

about.

regards Worgeordie

Chinese are not tourists ?

Is there any indication that tourist numbers are falling? People have expected this many times - after the tsunami, the various coups, the Red Shirt riots, the airport blockade, numerous fatal accidents and horrific murders. But it doesn't seem to change Thailand's popularity as a tourist destination.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

That's why I posted the question.   I don't want businesses to cease operation  but as this forum continually posts the topic it seems  it should be a matter of concern to the expat who lives in Thailand.     Oh my goodness the tourists numbers are down.    Run to the hills..

I'm fully Ok to have less crowded roads and restaurants/bars as long as businesses can survive.

Continually posts ? Do you mean news articles generated by numerous sources and then brought to the forum by our news team along with all the other latest news published by main stream media.

Is someone coercing you ?

I like low season in Hua Hin of course the roads have less traffic and less giant tour buses.

I feel bad for some of the owners of bars and restaurants that cater to white males. Constantly going in and out of business.   

other wise I don't have any business concerns. All my girlfriends are always worried about it.  

If you truly live here I imagine you should be concerned. More people means higher prices for the condo you bought, better infrastructure and food options, shopping malls....

Personally I don't care as I'm not invested here and could care less if there's a civil war tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, watcharacters said:

I personally gain nothing from higher tourist visitors and  actually gain from lower numbers coming here.     I live here and more visitors means crowding and increased traffic and  etc. for me.

Doesn't bother me about either high season or low season which is now.

Our area is overcrowded with Thai people more now these days. 

Songkran start tomorrow here so back road for a few days.

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I think T.A.T. would beg to differ that there are less Tourists, there are less Expats thats for sure ,and maybe less Tourists up North due to the terrible smoke .but still hoards of Chinese about.

Where did you see that there are fewer expats? :ermm:

Yes I know that a "ThaiVisa poll" said that, but it was totally unrepresentative of reality :sleep:

FYI, my Embassy (France) indicates that the number of French expats living in Thailand is growing very regularly of about +3% every year. I see no reason why many other countries wouldn't have a growing number of expats too.

Couldn't care less. Actually hope for it and enjoy it when noticeable in low season. Not working here (nor business owner) most things "good" for Thailand are not at all beneficial to me/us. Still waiting and hoping for the economic replay of 1997-1998. Good thing haven't been holding my breath! :coffee1:

18 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Yes I know that a "ThaiVisa poll" said that, but it was totally unrepresentative of reality :sleep:

FYI, my Embassy (France) indicates that the number of French expats living in Thailand is growing very regularly of about +3% every year. I see no reason why many other countries wouldn't have a growing number of expats too.

I have noticed this from just my locality,at the end of last year and beginning

of this year,7 Expats have moved out of my Moo Banh, why was the TV poll

totally unreprestive  of reality ?????,posts on here saying I am leaving were prevalent,

when changes were made to the requirements required to stay here, I am sure

those that are left here,will have the same stories of friends, & acquaintances,

that have left.just because the French Embassy says French expats are increasing

every year by 3 %,does not mean expats from other countries are pouring in,

French expats are well behind the Expats from Australia,UK,USA.

Regards Worgeordie

21 hours ago, watcharacters said:

The percentage of people on this forum who live in the LOS must be considerably lower than those who just visit. Thousands of visitors read TV. It's where most of us go to if we want any information and the latest news.

Speaking from the point of view of a holiday maker who has visited Pattaya when it's in the depths of the low season the atmosphere suffers and the desperation of some of the bar girls and practically empty bars can be rather depressing and make you feel sorry for those that work them.

Mind you it's better than high season with prices going through the roof, everywhere jam packed and the prettier girls behaving as if their sh!t doesn't stink unless you're practically pouring ridiculously over priced LDs down their throats.

21 hours ago, watcharacters said:

I thought the topics were constantly posted to encourage the masses to blunder 

off topic , blaming the slow down on xenophobia, poor air quality, mean hearted 

immigration rules and officers, bad driving, ladyboy gangs , taxi mafia gangs, bar

girl scams, no one wearing helmets on bikes, families of 4 on bikes, poor education,

rubbish beach engineering projects, rubbish on the beach, poor water quality and, 

bizarrely, local men and their small appendiges!

Have I missed anything?

18 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

It’s absurd how seriously TV takes their survey of a few hundred members and regards it as a reliable cross section of expats and tourists in all of Thailand.

They are comparing it to last years survey of a few hundred people.

The tourist numbers hit 40,000,000 last year. Tourist numbers down or just TV numbers down?

One thing that stood out to me was how poor most TV members are living on the bread line and how the majority claim they are getting ready to leave because they can not figure out how to fill in a couple of forms at Immigration.

Nonsense.

I will believe your Embassy figures of 3% and the TAT figures over a dodgy TV survey of which many of the participants don’t even live here.

Tourist numbers are up, and the trend has been up for several decades. A couple of old beer bars going out of business is a poor indicator.

The airports are flat out.

7 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

I thought the topics were constantly posted to encourage the masses to blunder 

off topic , blaming the slow down on xenophobia, poor air quality, mean hearted 

immigration rules and officers, bad driving, ladyboy gangs , taxi mafia gangs, bar

girl scams, no one wearing helmets on bikes, families of 4 on bikes, poor education,

rubbish beach engineering projects, rubbish on the beach, poor water quality and, 

bizarrely, local men and their small appendiges!

Have I missed anything?

Oh you've only scratched the surface with those few realities. But DON'T GET US STARTED! :vampire:

22 hours ago, watcharacters said:

"I'm fully Ok to have less crowded roads and restaurants/bars as long as businesses can survive."

How does that work?

A lot of expects don't come because of the poor exchange rate l started come to Thailand in 2014 the rate was 31 baht to AUD and since then has continual dropped and now 22.6baht, maybe if the Thai government devalued the baht tourist would flood back which helps all the thai people but we know that wont happen

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

I have noticed this from just my locality,at the end of last year and beginning

of this year,7 Expats have moved out of my Moo Banh, why was the TV poll

totally unreprestive  of reality ?????,posts on here saying I am leaving were prevalent,

when changes were made to the requirements required to stay here, I am sure

those that are left here,will have the same stories of friends, & acquaintances,

that have left.just because the French Embassy says French expats are increasing

every year by 3 %,does not mean expats from other countries are pouring in,

French expats are well behind the Expats from Australia,UK,USA.

Regards Worgeordie

The poll:

- On a specific website -  not broadcast to a wider audience, very possible many foreigners would not have seen the poll (TV is not the 'cup of tea' of all foreigners in Thailand and I doubt any similar board is).

- Many have reservations about the polling methodology.

- A % who saw the poll would dismiss it for whatever reasons, one being criticism of many past polls.

- The language is English which is not the native, or even second language of quite a few foreigners, and there are other boards in other languages these folks are perhaps more likely to

read.

- I wonder if 'the poll' attracts actual votes from the negative / pessimistic thinkers and not so many actual votes from the optimistic foreigners. 

1 hour ago, RobMuir said:

It’s absurd how seriously TV takes their survey of a few hundred members and regards it as a reliable cross section of expats and tourists in all of Thailand.

They are comparing it to last years survey of a few hundred people.

The tourist numbers hit 40,000,000 last year. Tourist numbers down or just TV numbers down?

One thing that stood out to me was how poor most TV members are living on the bread line and how the majority claim they are getting ready to leave because they can not figure out how to fill in a couple of forms at Immigration.

Nonsense.

I will believe your Embassy figures of 3% and the TAT figures over a dodgy TV survey of which many of the participants don’t even live here.

Tourist numbers are up, and the trend has been up for several decades. A couple of old beer bars going out of business is a poor indicator.

The airports are flat out.

The TV survey:

- On a specific website -  not broadcast to a wider audience, very possible many foreigners would not have seen the poll (TV is not the 'cup of tea' of all foreigners in Thailand and I doubt any similar board is).

- Many have reservations about the polling methodology.

- A % who saw the poll would dismiss it for whatever reasons, one being criticism of many past polls.

- The language is English which is not the native, or even second language of quite a few foreigners, and there are other boards in other languages these folks are perhaps more likely to read.

- I wonder if 'the poll' attracts actual votes from the negative / pessimistic thinkers and not so many actual votes from the optimistic foreigners. 

1 hour ago, Boedog said:

A lot of expects don't come because of the poor exchange rate l started come to Thailand in 2014 the rate was 31 baht to AUD and since then has continual dropped and now 22.6baht, maybe if the Thai government devalued the baht tourist would flood back which helps all the thai people but we know that wont happen

As long as the Thai government big wigs income stream doesn't go down then nothing will change, they are not interested in the ordinary Thai people, only themselves.

Archived