Songkran meaning

Melom

Songkran is the most important in Thai culture. Even if Thais celebrate European and Chinese New Year Songkran is more important and lash. It was not that easy to find out origins of the celebration. The answer is always simple – Thai New Year. So I did own research.

63747021.cms.cms

In India there is traditional New Year celebration which is called “Sankranti”. Looks pretty similar, even in Thai word “songkran” (สงกรานต์) preserved unreadable letter “t” at the end. But it is not complete loan bit some creativity is well.

Sanskrit’s “san” is the Indo-European “san” or “saint” with the same meaning. But Thais changed it to sounding alike but purely Thai word “song” (สง), which means watering and growing.

The origin of the name seems was pretty clear until one obstacle. Full name of the Indian event is “Makara-Sankranti” because it is celebrated on 14 January. It is actually the New Year but by ancient Julian calendar.

Nowadays Orthodox Christians still uses Julian calendar for their religious events. For instant Christmas date goes on 7 January.  New Year say therefor goes on 14 January. Well it is neither religious nor official holiday but people of those countries like this as occasion for extra partying.  Quite similar to what Thais do.

The point of celebrating in April explained by another Indian holiday exactly on 14 April. Well to be correct it is Tamil and Sri-Lankan tradition of “Puthandu”. Actually Buddhism was brought to Thailand from Sri-Lanka while mainland India was already reverted back to Hinduism. That explains time frame of Songkran celebration.

To be precise “Puthandu” is not a New Year holiday, this is rather vulgar point of view. This is celebration of natural (not calendar) rejuvenation after fasting winter time. Therefor I had to point you on another not obvious but substantially same cultural artifacts.

Easter” is the holiday (which came from the East); Jewish “Pesach” (Passover); Orthodox “Pascha” (Easter); Islamic “Ramadan”. All monotheistic religions may lay their own meaning for the said events, but paganish basement stays intact – new life after harsh fasting.

Even Jews didn’t fall down from the Moon and also passed through pagan school of life (though shy of that fact). Otherwise where from an idea of “Golden calf” came out in those spiritually weak members during Jew’s Great Fasting journey led by Moses to the new way of life.  Even Torah contains some strange paganish passages, which is well excusably for the βeta version.

Something more about water pouring traditions. In Eastern European countries which mainly Orthodox Christians there is whole week of celebration apart Sunday Easter itself -- so called “Great Week”. Next  after Easter day called “Pouring Monday”. Traditionally people (not everywhere nowadays) pour each other with water wishing prosperity. Young and pretty unmarried women usually get more water.

Easter_card_ukr_leg_crop.jpg

154264162416262416201010.jpg

8_1.jpg

In the same day people present each other eggs as the symbol of fertility and fruitiness.

Mixed hindo-christian family prepared traditional Puthandu "Paаl" (cream-caramel) and “Pesaha Appam" (Easter cake).

img_5244-1.jpg?w=600

Christian Orthodox traditional Easter set gives kind tricksy wishes.

big4f7effb55c48e.jpg

Edited by Melom
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Melom said:

It was not that easy to find out origins of the celebration.

Easy enough Thais make their own version of anything.

Well I got wet at my christening as a baby.

Thai go get water poured over them by monks at temples all year round as some kind new start.

One thing I noticed yesterday one of the lakes next to the village is where tankers that have collected from overfull household cesspits empty there loads into.

The local council was setting up pumps and long pipe lengths of this lake section of road with water spray jets, I won't using that road until Songkran is over. ???? 

On 4/13/2019 at 9:11 AM, Pilotman said:

I read the Op's post and I have just realised that I can use the computer while asleep. ????

Not a rare observation. Most of people spend their whole lifes being asleep.