mail in 90 day, keep copy of previous receipt

hank2800

If you mail in your 90 day I'd recommend making a copy or at least a phone pic of your previous 90 day receipt before you mail everything in. I mailed mine a couple days ago the same as I've been doing for 3 years now and got a call today that my 90 day was previously expired 90 days ago and i had to pay 2000 baht late fee. So I drove in from Samoeng this morning and paid the fee and wondered what the problem was because I wasn't due until April 21. They said I have been without a 90 day since my last report(which I mailed in) back in end of jan,.. looking at the paperwork I sent 2 days ago,( which they had) there was no receipt of the last 90 day expiring on April 21 which I' was sure I had sent together with the other usual copies. So I paid the 2000baht and got back on track with the 90 day, After I got home I looked thru everything around my desk and turned the room upside down in case I didn't mail it together and wasn't able to find the April 21 90 day receipt and I'm 99% sure it went in the envelope with the  other stuff anyway. Admittedly I have less interest in sending these now than I did a few years ago but the receipt has been sitting on my desk for 2 weeks with a computer notification  waiting for me to send it so I don't pay any penalties and find it hard to believe it wasn't in there.. So somewhere between my desk and theirs, the Apr21st receipt went missing. If I would have had a copy or pic of it at least in my records , I would have had a chance, but once it's all in the envelope you have no recourse. I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't have me in the computer with the April 21st expiry anyway and even if in fact I was negligent and didn't renew my 90 day 3 months ago I'm sure someone would have called us advising that I was over and I had a fee to pay. They were very happy to call at 7:15 this morning to tell me that I owed them this. which has subtle irony for all the times I'd wished they would have been open early when I've been waiting for visas. But from now on I will keep backup on everything with immigration, I guess having to drive in and loosing 2000bt got me interested again.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I did mine by EMS post for years until one time it arrived over a month late, then the following 90 day didn't arrive at all. Got the wife to phone TI and they said that they'd sent it. I decided to revert back to reporting in person to save the worry of being stopped and not having the current receipt. It's an in and out job anyway now that they just scan your previous receipt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One time I mailed mine in. The day before it was to expire I had not received my new one back so to be sure I called the immigration office.  They told me they had no record of ever receiving it.  So I went the next day and did it in the office, using a copy I had made before mailing it.  2 days later the one I mailed in showed up in my mailbox.

Edited by rwill
  • Sad 1

I keep a photo copy of the   receipt and post the original via EMS  with a self addressed envelope with stamp to the immigration 

I track the EMS letter online so know when its received 

done twice this year and no problems so far received the last one back with in 7 days 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Duvidl said:

Doesn't Immigration stipulate that you need to send in the original of the previous receipt?

Typically, yes (but obviously a photocopy, likely signed, works for some).

On rare occasion (it's happened to me and to friends), an officer at exit immigration at the airport itself has removed (and either retained or tossed?) my last 90-day Receipt of Notification so that I and friends have no original (or even copies at times) to mail in the next time.....and that's caused no problem or comment (I'm guessing they know this happens on occasion).  But, because that has happened to me a couple of times, I now try to remember to take a photocopy before I exit the country.

Best to send the original of the previous receipt,don't leave yourself open to a pedantic officers whim. 

Mine sent registered in, 3 baht sae back,21 baht total.I have the PO receipt and copy of previous 90 day receipt if it happens to get lost which is unlikely.

Online doesnt work for me,when it does,next time I leave the country maybe, I will use it but the PO is only 5 mins away

Takes between 4-7 days for return, over many years