Best way to take Baht to UK

Going on holiday back home to the UK.
a. I need to take some of my THB to deposit in to UK bank account.
b. I need to take some of my THB to use in the UK as holiday spending money.
Not huge amount for either a or b.

What is the best way to take the THB to UK:
1. as THB notes and change in to Pound Sterling in the UK?
2. as THB notes and change in to Pound Sterling BEFORE I GO in Thailand?
3. send it via Western Union
4. Some other way?

Thanks.

I was in a post office the other day(in the UK)and noticed the exchange rates.

They sell at approx 37 THB to £1 (eek) yet buy at around 48 to the pound.

I'm guessing the same applies at places like super rich, but if not it could be

an idea to bring some over to exchange.

The same rules would apply regarding notes in good condition as they generally b

give them out to holiday makers traveling abroad.

Superrich is currently quoting 41.5 (buy) / 41.75 (sell) for GBP. Compare that to the UK Post Office rates above and I think you can see that exchanging here in Thailand is the way to go.  If we're talking about a few hundred or even a couple of thousand pounds, I would take cash. More than that, check out Dee Money, AFAIK the only non-bank exchange dealer licensed to make outbound transfers at reasonable rates (I exclude Western Union, whose rates and fees are not reasonable).

• Like 1

Find one of your countrymen here who need to bring in THB (but doesn't need to show it as an international transfer), and then do a swap...

You give him THB (or send it to his Thai account) while he sends the equivalent GBP to your UK account.  No fees either way, and a perfectly matched Fx rate.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

All good advice. Thanks.

https://www.superrichthailand.com/#!/en

They have a branch at the airport. Floor B. Slightly lesser rate, but may be more convenient for you.

Western union isn't that bad if you utilise their online service and send to a bank account, but DeeMoney is best for transfers. Never use Western Union unless online. You can initiate the transfer online and then go to a specified booth to complete the transaction. But never initiate from a booth. The fees will make your eyes water.

5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Something else to bear in mind is that some banks overseas might not know where the Thai notes originate as they are entirely in Thai script. I had that problem in Germany.

The other problem is that international banks are only obliged to exchange the latest version of a foreign banknote and at the moment there are different versions of the 1000 baht note.

I bailed a few people out when the UK changed the £20 note.

The best and safest option is to buy GBP before going, if in the Pattaya area Yenjit down Walking Street is almost as good as Superrich.

2 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

They have a branch at the airport. Floor B. Slightly lesser rate, but may be more convenient for you.

You couldn't buy currency at the airport, very few of the Superrich branches actually have foreign currency to sell. We use Superrich fairly regularly and when we go to Bangkok we park at the airport so my wife phoned them up and asked if we could pick up at the airport and they refused.

Things may have changed so not 100% that is still the case.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

You couldn't buy currency at the airport, very few of the Superrich branches actually have foreign currency to sell. We use Superrich fairly regularly and when we go to Bangkok we park at the airport so my wife phoned them up and asked if we could pick up at the airport and they refused.

Things may have changed so not 100% that is still the case.

Thanks for the feedback.

DeeMoney perhaps.

Swampy basement definately where the MRT station is located. But remember to compare as there are many money exchange boots and once or twice I did see a difference between one and the other.

The article referenced below also gives an idea of the regulations when exporting THB. Hope it is up to date however.

http://www.wfw.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/WFWBriefing-BOT-FX-Reform.pdf

Edited by observer90210

On 4/12/2019 at 3:18 AM, shy coconut said:

I was in a post office the other day(in the UK)and noticed the exchange rates.

They sell at approx 37 THB to £1 (eek) yet buy at around 48 to the pound.

I'm guessing the same applies at places like super rich, but if not it could be

an idea to bring some over to exchange.

The same rules would apply regarding notes in good condition as they generally b

give them out to holiday makers traveling abroad.

Doh!

Forget everything I said, obviously having some kind of brain cart.

If anyone learns anything from my post, never ever change money either way at the

Post office!

Would skip changing it in the Uk. I went to change around 40 or 50,000 bht last year there and worked out what it should have been . Gave it to my mother to do as she knew where the place was to exchange it while I went to do something else . She came back and I think I lost around 30 % of what I expected to get !!