Very hot today!

balo

So today was my planned bicycle trip to Soi Chaiapruek, Jomtien, from Naklua. It's only 7 km , and I did this trip many times before. When I looked out of my window it was a beautiful morning , but no wind,  I was even hoping for some clouds to cover the sun.
When I talked to my Thai neigbor she said: Very Hot today! The few words of English she knew and I got the message, when Thais complaining it's too hot, It's really hot.....

I consider myself fit for my age, I'm in my 50's. But this time I should have stayed at home. 

Already half way I felt exhausted, I was sweating and I felt really uncomfortable. But I arrived as normal to my friends house and then I lost it completely, I almost fell over my bike and had no energy left. I needed to get into a room with air-con and just sit down and ask for water. 

But I did drink a lot of fluid before I left home, plenty of water and some coconut juice.  But this time it was not enough.  After sitting inside that room for 2 hours to cool down my energy came back and I could prepare for the home trip. 

Just a friendly warning, take it easy out there in this heat. Just a few degrees warmer than normal and you could get in trouble. 

3 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Hot day indeed ! Our car showed it was 44c today

This was not in Pattaya though !

hot.jpg.c7e6edeaebc53f0a27a0e3cdfa1d706e.jpg

Mitsubishi triton I think ?... we have same. Anyway, 39c near Phitsanulok ....   I really felt it today, couldn't even enjoy a beer outside with the fan, I had 1 large bottle then went inside.  Way too hot.

4 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Mitsubishi triton I think ?... we have same. Anyway, 39c near Phitsanulok ....   I really felt it today, couldn't even enjoy a beer outside with the fan, I had 1 large bottle then went inside.  Way too hot.

Yep the 2019(8) version. Just got it 2,5 months ago. Yeah the Heat was terrible, laying on the bed to have a nap with as usual only the fan but couldn't sleep. The breeze from outside was just blowing hot air in ????

3 hours ago, balo said:

Just a friendly warning, take it easy out there in this heat. Just a few degrees warmer than normal and you could get in trouble.

Very good advice Balo. Today was very warm up here in Isaan, but yesterday and the day before were scorching.

I went on my weekly, across field, mountain bike trek. and had drank my two litres of water before i turned round for the trip home. I stopped off at a small mini-mart to replenish supplies and have a rest. The lady in the mini-mart noticed me sitting on the step outside and placed a fan close; It was appreciated. I didn't really relish the 20k return trip, so when a pick-up from the village stopped outside we put the bike on the back and I got a ride home.

I've felt really guilty at cheating myself over the shortened ride, but Balo is quite correct; take it easy. As soon as the temperature drops below 40 I'll be off again, and try to add in the 20k that I missed yesterday.

Can't be too careful in LOS.

ps: Sorry guys! Just noticed it is the Pattaya forum.

Pay attention to the dewpoint more than anything.  Today it was 25 or 26 which is hot and considered dangerous.  Dewpoint will indicates how well your body can cool itself and the lower number the better.  Anything above 15 becomes uncomfortable. 

Three days above 42c here outside Udon, I have no idea how the posters that crop up regular stating they don't need AC, a fan is fine exist and survive at this time of year, it must be miserable, with AC at least you can lead a life with a degree of normalcy and as little perspiration as possible. The body is struggling to keep cool, it needs help at this time of year! Beer helps as well ???? 

9 hours ago, CGW said:

Three days above 42c here outside Udon, I have no idea how the posters that crop up regular stating they don't need AC, a fan is fine exist and survive at this time of year, it must be miserable, with AC at least you can lead a life with a degree of normalcy and as little perspiration as possible. The body is struggling to keep cool, it needs help at this time of year! Beer helps as well ???? 

Yes CGW, it has been a hot little spell in these parts.

My thermometer hit 44c on Tuesday and 45c on Wednesday, but only 41c yesterday. Today I am going to load the pick-up with water hyacinth from the river, so I don't mind it being a bit hot.

My bike ride on Wednesday was a disaster. When i got back home after 20km of hard slog (cheated, 'cause it's usually 40km), I drank over two litres of water in an hour. I don't drink beer, but I do like mushroom wine.

I don't like air con. It stops the body getting accustomed to the heat. With the fan, it is best to have a passage of air, rather than just blowing the air about.

On Saturday morning I usually go for my 10km run. If the temperature is 40 plus tomorrow. I'll cut it back to about half that. A few weeks ago I did a 5km swim and that didn't go too well. For a couple of days after, I had a pain just above the right eye every time I lifted something heavy. I'm OK now. Reckon I was a little dehydrated. I'm staying away from the weights while it is as hot as this.

I have known hotter. In Kingston 10 (Jamaica), one year it was so hot the tarmac melted and Lindos, in Greece, hit 51, whilst I was there. But I was relaxing on holiday both times. Here, in Isaan, I have work to be getting on with.

Out on my cycle ride this morning, at 6.00am before it gets to hot for two hours,

45 k around the villages noth of Uttaradit.

My advice to all cyclists get out early  before it gets to hot stop every 10 /15 minutes ensure you drink lots of water stay hydrated.  

Keeping fit can really be addictive as can being on a mission to lose weight through exercise and not being able to is often difficult to accept and quite frustrating. I don't really enjoy any exercise (with the exception of swimming) in the Kingdom to be honest as I just don't feel comfortable and I gotta take my hat off to anyone who manages to cycle/run/jog/play tennis etc in Thailand's climate, no matter where.

I don't know where you (even at 6am) hardcore cyclists with masochistic tendencies find your motivation....Impressive..

The wife,Is a fitness fanatic ,she gets up some mornings at 3 does her exercises and then runs 10k on trails ,with her mates, i mentioned in another thread that sh was on the trail when the cyclist had a stroke (wonder how he is?), mind you i like exercise as well ,i get up at 7 and go down and open the gate so she can drive straight onto the drive without having to get out of the car ,sometimes i even close it as well.????

36 minutes ago, bojo said:

Keeping fit can really be addictive as can being on a mission to lose weight through exercise and not being able to is often difficult to accept and quite frustrating. I don't really enjoy any exercise (with the exception of swimming) in the Kingdom to be honest as I just don't feel comfortable and I gotta take my hat off to anyone who manages to cycle/run/jog/play tennis etc in Thailand's climate, no matter where.

I don't know where you (even at 6am) hardcore cyclists with masochistic tendencies find your motivation....Impressive..

I am 66 keeps me sane and fit.When your out early in the morning your be suprised

The number of Thai people you see out cycling before they go to work.

7 minutes ago, RUOK said:

I am 66 keeps me sane and fit.When your out early in the morning your be suprised

The number of Thai people you see out cycling before they go to work.

Fit in body. fit in mind...never a truer saying.

Yes, I would be surprised really, (more becuse I don't consider Thais as sporty), but at least they have the edge on us temperate imports having been born where the heat is incessant .....

I have had to admit defeat with my cycling in this heat. Heart rate just spikes right up within a few minutes of heading out the door in Ban Dung Issan. So have treated myself to a decent spin bike, set up in the spare room with air con, so can still manage to get my fix of endorphines a few times a week. I just could not imagine not exercising at least every other day.

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I don't like air con. It stops the body getting accustomed to the heat. With the fan, it is best to have a passage of air, rather than just blowing the air about.

We differ here, I like AC, the body operates ideally with an outside temp of 22c, this allows it to dissipate heat most effectively, sure you can get used to higher temps but at what cost to the body? higher temp also allow micro-organisms to breed at a more prolific rate, the inside of a hot house degrades faster, meaning dust, damp, clothes become damp and smell, Isaarn is also notoriously dusty, I prefer to keep the house closed up and AC ticking over to keep the dust PM levels to a minimum, even then they still get very high at times.

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I have known hotter. In Kingston 10 (Jamaica), one year it was so hot the tarmac melted and Lindos, in Greece, hit 51, whilst I was there. But I was relaxing on holiday both times. Here, in Isaan, I have work to be getting on with.

I spent a lot of my working life in shipyards, when its 30c plus outside we would be working on "dead" vessels, meaning no air was moving, it gets awful warm in the bowels of a vessel, add in welders and hot steel, not pleasant, I only got heat stroke three times in 40 years so learnt to cope, now I am happy to put the AC on ???? 

14 hours ago, steven100 said:

Here  in   Nongprue for the forth time in 2 weeks they decide to cut the electricity for  2  & 3 hours, if that was'nt bad enough in this heat they turn off the mains water supply for 3 days good we have a pump supply..

Think yourself lucky to be living in that area with temperatures in the mid 30's.

In Nakhon Sawan it has been plus 40c for some time and into the foreseeable future. Impossible to go out of the house in the afternoons.

Last night it was still 35 at midnight. 

51 minutes ago, grifbel said:

Never understand why people move to a hot country and then are surprised when it is hot?

I moved here for work and to escape the taxman, nobody mentioned melting at certain times of the year! mind that was over 30 years ago.................

17 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Very good advice Balo. Today was very warm up here in Isaan, but yesterday and the day before were scorching.

I went on my weekly, across field, mountain bike trek. and had drank my two litres of water before i turned round for the trip home. I stopped off at a small mini-mart to replenish supplies and have a rest. The lady in the mini-mart noticed me sitting on the step outside and placed a fan close; It was appreciated. I didn't really relish the 20k return trip, so when a pick-up from the village stopped outside we put the bike on the back and I got a ride home.

I've felt really guilty at cheating myself over the shortened ride, but Balo is quite correct; take it easy. As soon as the temperature drops below 40 I'll be off again, and try to add in the 20k that I missed yesterday.

Can't be too careful in LOS.

ps: Sorry guys! Just noticed it is the Pattaya forum.

I remember a holiday in Greece years ago and they had a heatwave at the time - temps were over 43c and locals were dying from the heat, great report and advice from Balo & owl. temps above 40c are dangerous and the effects happen very quickly if you are exerting yourself, might be a better choice to find a gym and do your distance on an exercise bike indoors until the temps go down a little 

4 hours ago, Henryford said:

Exercising in 40C plus heat is just asking for trouble, especially for us older folk. Why would you even try?

All in moderations I guess, I agree 40 ++ degrees is too hot to do heavy exercises in. 

But as we age it's more important than ever to do daily exercises so we do not end up with being overweight and get diseases like diabetes etc. Also what you eat / drink is more important now than when you were younger.  

I have no problems to walk for 10k in 40 degrees, just bring with you a water bottle, and take a few breaks if you feel too tired.

I learned my lesson I guess...

58 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Pansies - I was playing tennis in it yesterday (I think was 35). Though the Thai I was playing wanted to quit half way through. 

so you do have balls:) ????  I think it is wise to take precautions in the heat but it shouldn't deter anyone from their daily activities.  I also think the body adapts to the heat through this type of exertion and not staying in indoor comfort.  Play on!!!!

5 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

The wife,Is a fitness fanatic ,she gets up some mornings at 3 does her exercises and then runs 10k on trails ,with her mates, i mentioned in another thread that sh was on the trail when the cyclist had a stroke (wonder how he is?), mind you i like exercise as well ,i get up at 7 and go down and open the gate so she can drive straight onto the drive without having to get out of the car ,sometimes i even close it as well.????

Take  care! Perhaps a powered sliding gate, remote control, and a camera  to see when she comes  home. That way you could stay in bed and still show you care . ????

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Has it occurred to the slightly mad cyclists on this thread that swimming is just as good an exercise, without any danger of heat stress?

Not true many experienced and in good shape swimmers have died from swimming longer distances in warmer water. 

7 minutes ago, losworld said:

Not true many experienced and in good shape swimmers have died from swimming longer distances in warmer water. 

You may be right. All strenuous exercise carries a risk of cardiac arrest if one is genetically predisposed. I suspect the number of deaths from swimming is much less than the combined effect of heat stress and road accidents for cyclists.

I swim and play golf. AFAIK golf is the only form of exercise recommended by doctors for cardiac patients.

Archived