Very hot today!

balo

29 minutes ago, losworld said:

Not true many experienced and in good shape swimmers have died from swimming longer distances in warmer water. 

My pool is virtually unusable today, water is not just warm, it's uncomfortably so.  I look out of the window expect to see steam raising from it. 

36 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Take  care! Perhaps a powered sliding gate, remote control, and a camera  to see when she comes  home. That way you could stay in bed and still show you care . ????

Nah, she needs the exercise. 

38 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Take  care! Perhaps a powered sliding gate, remote control, and a camera  to see when she comes  home. That way you could stay in bed and still show you care . ????

I did think of that ,but i really do need the exercise and she does like me to be downstairs when she comes home so i can decide what she must make me for breakfast ????,

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

You may be right. All strenuous exercise carries a risk of cardiac arrest if one is genetically predisposed. I suspect the number of deaths from swimming is much less than the combined effect of heat stress and road accidents for cyclists.

I swim and play golf. AFAIK golf is the only form of exercise recommended by doctors for cardiac patients.

This of course is contentious.

I don't know what AFAIK golf it. Pitch and putt, or a form of crazy golf?

The finest exercise, that nature intended, is hip-thrusting (as in love making doggie fashion, (obviously with you on top, or behind). Each thrust adds at least 10 seconds to the average guy's life*. Get the heart rate up to 67% of max' and hold steady. Can also be enjoyable for quite some time. 40 minutes a day is the way to go. 

* Professor Pigeon research data.

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

I did think of that ,but i really do need the exercise and she does like me to be downstairs when she comes home so i can decide what she must make me for breakfast ????,

I can do that lying down. 

I came back from the farm at 16-00. It was hot today*, not surprising as we are locked in a heat wave, but the heat didn't stop me and Biap (my work mate) getting 18 sacks of water hyacinth. The hardest part was carrying the bags, two at a time, about 120 metres from the river. Cut myself up on some spider grass but nothing much.

Got home, had a quick half glass of mushroom wine, and straight into the shower, as I was very mucky. Now on TVForum chatting to fellow farang, and drinking cold rosella, with two fans on. One for the computer, and t'other for me.

* Only just over 40C today; overcast now. Or is it smog?

18 hours ago, CGW said:

Three days above 42c here outside Udon, I have no idea how the posters that crop up regular stating they don't need AC, a fan is fine exist and survive at this time of year, it must be miserable, with AC at least you can lead a life with a degree of normalcy and as little perspiration as possible. The body is struggling to keep cool, it needs help at this time of year! Beer helps as well ???? 

In a condo on a hill over 4 floors plenty of breeze through ..and cold showers and because I don't have to work I can dress in casual clothing.  I find humidity a bigger issue than dry heat.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You may be right. All strenuous exercise carries a risk of cardiac arrest if one is genetically predisposed. I suspect the number of deaths from swimming is much less than the combined effect of heat stress and road accidents for cyclists.

I swim and play golf. AFAIK golf is the only form of exercise recommended by doctors for cardiac patients.

Walking is recommended.  And Golf is the perfect way to ruin a good walk.

7 hours ago, bojo said:

Fit in body. fit in mind...never a truer saying.

Yes, I would be surprised really, (more becuse I don't consider Thais as sporty), but at least they have the edge on us temperate imports having been born where the heat is incessant .....

Thais are in incredibly sporty. Most cities have free fitness parks and many beautiful running areas such as the lake in Roi et  the river in Nong khai and the pratumnak big buddha trail where hundred go walking, jogging, exercising and doing open air dancerobics..to say nothing of boxing and kicking wicker balls around.

20 hours ago, losworld said:

Pay attention to the dewpoint more than anything.  Today it was 25 or 26 which is hot and considered dangerous.  Dewpoint will indicates how well your body can cool itself and the lower number the better.  Anything above 15 becomes uncomfortable. 

Is dewpoint the same as humidity level?

Windows closed at home, curtains pulled down to darken the room, air the place only at night or very early morning obviously,

a/c ON of course but moderately,

light long covering clothing when going outside like fine linen which fully covers the body instead of tight shorts and a t-shirt, light hat with a long visor of course,

go out if possible only after say 16h00 and of course plenty of water.

Slow on booze, light food that avoids meet, not to spicy and the heat wave hopefully will pass with the obvious precautions that all are aware but that I can tend to forget sometimes ????

And think of those still shivering due to the unplesent climate back home????

On 4/11/2019 at 5:33 PM, balo said:

It's only 7 km , and I did this trip many times before.

You're such a whimp, I rode 45 Km a day this week between 8:30 and 11:00. Speed is 10% down, and I keep the longer 70-100Km rides for when the rain comes back. I am 66. Today I was a bit faster as the kids kept watering me.

But, seriously a 7 K ride isn't exercise to speak of, unless it include a 500m climb. You'd better take a 2 hours walk on the beach.

34 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

You're such a whimp, I rode 45 Km a day this week between 8:30 and 11:00.

Good for you. I enjoy shorter rides 10-20 km. This time I visited a friend and it's 7 km one way. In this heat that was enough for me. I prefer cloudy days to avoid the sun.  

It is indeed hot.

No airconditioning at home, three fans are running and that is like an hot hair fohn in full throttle.

Without the fans, I am swimming in my sweat immediately.

Windows are closed during the day and just before sunset opening them for the fresh breeze from outside.

Driving around on the bike in the afternoon cools too, but never out around noon.

Did it once last week, and my hand turned black.

Last week the electric cut, usage in the street behind me went skyrocketing blowing up a fuse at the transformer. Luckily I am on a different phase, but replacing the fuse they cut all 3.

It is cooling powder all the way and do nothing.

36'C in the 'cool' nights and afternoon shadows

58 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

You're such a whimp, I rode 45 Km a day this week between 8:30 and 11:00. Speed is 10% down, and I keep the longer 70-100Km rides for when the rain comes back. I am 66. Today I was a bit faster as the kids kept watering me.

But, seriously a 7 K ride isn't exercise to speak of, unless it include a 500m climb. You'd better take a 2 hours walk on the beach.

Bang on the money there KiChakayan,

Each week i like to do a 10k run, a 5k swim and a bike ride over to Penn and back (45k). On the other days I am lifting weights. As well as all this I am working on the farm.

I had a real hard ride in the heat in the week, so I am slowing down a little until the temperature drops below 40C. On Saturday mornings I do my 10k run, but tomorrow I'm only doing half that distance.

I'm from a christian background, and although i'm an atheist, I seem to have their religious, 'suffering' syndrome. Christians love to suffer. If I am not exhausted at the end of exercise I feel guilty. But I'm heeding Balo's advice and taking the foot off the gas a little in the heat.

3 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Bang on the money there KiChakayan,

Each week i like to do a 10k run, a 5k swim and a bike ride over to Penn and back (45k). On the other days I am lifting weights. As well as all this I am working on the farm.

I had a real hard ride in the heat in the week, so I am slowing down a little until the temperature drops below 40C. On Saturday mornings I do my 10k run, but tomorrow I'm only doing half that distance.

I'm from a christian background, and although i'm an atheist, I seem to have the religious,  'suffering' syndrome. Christians love to suffer. If I am not exhausted at the end of exercise I feel guilty. But I'm heeding Balo's advice and taking the foot off the gas a little in the heat.

Are you sure you were in the REME, you sound more like special forces to me, hope your buffalows are bearing the heat better than me.

15 minutes ago, balo said:

Good for you. I enjoy shorter rides 10-20 km. This time I visited a friend and it's 7 km one way. In this heat that was enough for me. I prefer cloudy days to avoid the sun.  

I switched from running (ground and/or treadmill) to biking about 6 months ago, 20km a day, but have been cutting back recently as my arse and bits go numb after 30 minutes.  Bought a new seat but that hasn't helped much.   Do you or @KiChakayan have any problems like that on longer rides?

18 minutes ago, vogie said:

Are you sure you were in the REME, you sound more like special forces to me, hope your buffalows are bearing the heat better than me.

Yes REME. Took a bullet and got pensioned off. A real shame, 'cause I loved the 'doubling' and running round the square every five minutes.

I have run a double marathon and many ironmans. I am not all that fast, but i have endurance, however my greatest asset is this suffering stuff. Although I ran a mile in 4-21 on the cinder track at Dagenham in 1968.

Last songkran the village held a competition about carrying water bottles, Had to pick two up - one in each hand, just holding the tops - and walk as far as we could around the village,

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Yes REME. Took a bullet and got pensioned off. A real shame, 'cause I loved the 'doubling' and running round the square every five minutes.

I have run a double marathon and many ironmans. I am not all that fast, but i have endurance, however my greatest asset is this suffering stuff. Although I ran a mile in 4-21 on the cinder track at Dagenham in 1968.

Last songram the village held a competition about carrying water bottles, Had to pick two up - one in each hand, just holding the tops - and walk as far as we could around the village,

I left the REME in 1977, but then joined the SAS, after a while delivering spare parts for motor vehicles got the better of me and decided to leave Skipton Auto Spares.

Just now, vogie said:

I left the REME in 1977, but then joined the SAS, after a while delivering spare parts for motor vehicles got the better of me and decided to leave Skipton Auto Spares.

I was stationed at Aborfield for the first 4 months. Played footy for REME, I was good in the drawing office. Could have had a good career.

"Balo" (the OP) is a trusted and respected member of the TVF community. But he must be sanctioned as he gave us Farangs a bad name.
- In the morning, Thai's told him it was going to be hot. Instead of listening to them and head for the hammock (like the Thai's did), he had to display his "Farang-thoughness" in front of the Thai's. The Thai's giggling in their hammocks, saying "Just another stupid Farang". Thus re-enforcing the belief among Thai's that "Farangs are stupid".
He must be sanctioned.
Somebody go over to his place and steal his damm bike!:biggrin:

i'm not bragging... almost 50 years old and rode my bicycle for over 3 hours.  I left at 11 a.m.  Sometimes it is too much, but today was OK.  

drink like 4 water bottles per hour if you can in this heat, so that means stopping every hour and taking a 5-minute break to drink.  

i'm not bragging... almost 50 years old and rode my bicycle for over 3 hours.  I left at 11 a.m.  Sometimes it is too much, but today was OK.  

drink like 4 water bottles per hour if you can in this heat, so that means stopping every hour and taking a 5-minute break to drink.  

I know a few guys who're around 70 and do that regularly at this time of year.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived