Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

Most of the games (according to the odds) seem pretty much cut and dried this week,

so it might all come down to the margin.

Having said that, there are always upsets.

Can GSW, with a lengthening injury list get over Geelong at the Cattery?

The Cats don't usually lose 2 in a row down there.

Can the Suns upset the Bulldogs who are just going?

Both sides have substantial injuries.

Will Essendon fight back against the Hawks and get their season back on track?

West Coast favourites at home but Port will still be hurting over last years after the siren loss (sorry Scea).

Can Freo beat the reigning premiers at the G?

Probably not but they did upset them there last year with

a David Mundy goal after the siren.

Will the Saints finally make a statement and get the choccies against an inconsistent Melbourne?

Bragging rights are n the line for the AlexRRR/Chooka derby.

Collingwood should take care of Brisbane but wouldn't want to take them lightly.

All the best in your tipping fella's.

• Haha 1

It’s a bitter pill when your most hallowed player likens your game to an opposing code.

Yes, horror of horrors, Leigh Matthews says Australian football is starting to resemble rugby league.

Worse than that, the Player of the 20th Century has taken to watching the NRL on TV. Although Matthews is struggling to discern the difference between his indigenous game and league.

Australian football’s chronic congestion problem — and the turnovers and clangers created by the heavy traffic — might soon warrant AFL intervention.

Because not only is Matthews a powerful voice in the game, he’s also on the Laws of the Game Committee. And the way he’s talking, the AFL will act if the sport doesn’t find its own way out of the congestion maze.

Yes, there have been some terrific close games this season, Matthews says. And the evenness of the competition has created a “growing middle class” of clubs.

“(But) I’m not sure whether we’re seeing a fantastic spectacle,” he says.

Matthews had a lightbulb moment while switching between the Swans-Demons and Storm-Broncos matches on TV last week.

“It just hit me — how similar the two looks were,” he told Adelaide’s FiveAA this week. “(In league) you pass the ball

sideways and after two or three passes that bloke gets tackled and you start again.

“(In Australian rules) it’s one handball, two handballs, three handballs, fourth bloke gets tackled … It just hit me how similar the look that AFL has to rugby now, just the congestion around the footy.”

Setting aside Matthews confusing the name of the game and the league — if anyone can be forgiven for this travesty, it’s Matthews — it is clear Australian football has a serious problem.

And the worst offenders are the Swans, he says.

“They might be the form team of the competition, the Swans, but they do play a ‘smother you’ brand of footy,” Matthews says. “And if it wasn’t for (Lance) Franklin giving you a few highlights up their forward end, I’m not sure whether I’m keen on it, watching the Swans play, to be honest.”

As The Weekend Australian examined in detail last week, football appears to be stuck in an evolutionary cul de sac.

Where in the past the game mutated its way out of impasses (remember the chip, chip, chip style of the mid noughties, an environment in which Nathan Bassett once took 22 marks — one contested — in a game?), it appears to be choking under the weight of the phalanxes of players around the ball.

That feeds into a rising toll of turnovers, clangers and ‘intercept’ marks as sides try to find their way through the defensive zones.

Still they strive for the perfect play. But playing perfect football is next to impossible in the heavy traffic. Too often they instead serve up the opposite — horrible, grating turnovers — because they’re trying to play perfect football.

Confounded by the defence in depth, clubs are trying to ape the handball deployed to such telling effect by the Bulldogs and Swans last year. So handballs are up. The Crows, Cats and Giants are all handballing much more than they were last year.

But all too often it’s handball as a last resort; handball to flat-footed players with their backs to the goal, players who are sitting ducks for the gaggles of opponents flocking to the ball.

Forebodingly, Matthews says we might be stuck with the clutter. After all, the rolling mauls have dominated the game for at least five years now.

We might never again see a free-flowing, open style of football.

Read this in another paper while having a coffee today while out....a few more people weighed in on it as well...i totally agree the game is getting ugly, i dont think a scrum with congested football is anything good to watch, watched a half of Rugby last weekend, less congestion, much less, Buckley had the best idea.....pay more free's, he's dam right, 2 grabs at the ball is no longer a mark, hands or arms over shoulders is no longer in the back or  to high....ugly just ugly....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

This is what were going to be doing to Chook's Saints come sunday....notice the red yoke is on there heads......

So you think Chooks will be.......

• Like 1

Back from a week in the Flips and have Chooks in the fantasy.

Have bought in Adams and Merrit to beef up the mids,still got 800K

in the bank for later on.

Good luck to all except Chooks of course.:smile:

18 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Back from a week in the Flips and have Chooks in the fantasy.

Have bought in Adams and Merrit to beef up the mids,still got 800K

in the bank for later on.

Good luck to all except Chooks of course.:smile:

Only 800K..........I must be doing something wrong....I have the luxury of not playing anyone so I been investing, Chooks is like the Saints they come and go, in about 3 weeks you should be awwwwwasum we are watching you closely there.....

On 03/05/2018 at 5:03 PM, AlexRRR said:

It’s a bitter pill when your most hallowed player likens your game to an opposing code.

Yes, horror of horrors, Leigh Matthews says Australian football is starting to resemble rugby league.

Worse than that, the Player of the 20th Century has taken to watching the NRL on TV. Although Matthews is struggling to discern the difference between his indigenous game and league.

Australian football’s chronic congestion problem — and the turnovers and clangers created by the heavy traffic — might soon warrant AFL intervention.

Because not only is Matthews a powerful voice in the game, he’s also on the Laws of the Game Committee. And the way he’s talking, the AFL will act if the sport doesn’t find its own way out of the congestion maze.

Yes, there have been some terrific close games this season, Matthews says. And the evenness of the competition has created a “growing middle class” of clubs.

Matthews had a lightbulb moment while switching between the Swans-Demons and Storm-Broncos matches on TV last week.

“It just hit me — how similar the two looks were,” he told Adelaide’s FiveAA this week. “(In league) you pass the ball

sideways and after two or three passes that bloke gets tackled and you start again.

“(In Australian rules) it’s one handball, two handballs, three handballs, fourth bloke gets tackled … It just hit me how similar the look that AFL has to rugby now, just the congestion around the footy.”

Setting aside Matthews confusing the name of the game and the league — if anyone can be forgiven for this travesty, it’s Matthews — it is clear Australian football has a serious problem.

“They might be the form team of the competition, the Swans, but they do play a ‘smother you’ brand of footy,” Matthews says. “And if it wasn’t for (Lance) Franklin giving you a few highlights up their forward end, I’m not sure whether I’m keen on it, watching the Swans play, to be honest.”

As The Weekend Australian examined in detail last week, football appears to be stuck in an evolutionary cul de sac.

Where in the past the game mutated its way out of impasses (remember the chip, chip, chip style of the mid noughties, an environment in which Nathan Bassett once took 22 marks — one contested — in a game?), it appears to be choking under the weight of the phalanxes of players around the ball.

That feeds into a rising toll of turnovers, clangers and ‘intercept’ marks as sides try to find their way through the defensive zones.

Still they strive for the perfect play. But playing perfect football is next to impossible in the heavy traffic. Too often they instead serve up the opposite — horrible, grating turnovers — because they’re trying to play perfect football.

Confounded by the defence in depth, clubs are trying to ape the handball deployed to such telling effect by the Bulldogs and Swans last year. So handballs are up. The Crows, Cats and Giants are all handballing much more than they were last year.

But all too often it’s handball as a last resort; handball to flat-footed players with their backs to the goal, players who are sitting ducks for the gaggles of opponents flocking to the ball.

Forebodingly, Matthews says we might be stuck with the clutter. After all, the rolling mauls have dominated the game for at least five years now.

Read this in another paper while having a coffee today while out....a few more people weighed in on it as well...i totally agree the game is getting ugly, i dont think a scrum with congested football is anything good to watch, watched a half of Rugby last weekend, less congestion, much less, Buckley had the best idea.....pay more free's, he's dam right, 2 grabs at the ball is no longer a mark, hands or arms over shoulders is no longer in the back or  to high....ugly just ugly....

But..... I like it.  Still comes down to fitness, athletic ability, quick hands and a straight kick.  You can’t have perfect without some imperfect.

On 03/05/2018 at 5:03 PM, AlexRRR said:

But..... I like it.  Still comes down to fitness, athletic ability, quick hands and a straight kick.  You can’t have perfect without some imperfect.   There seems to be more free kicks and I a sure the 50's are up.

Edited by joboss

Now a whinge.

AFL umpires always state that all goals are reviewed. They should wait until they do before they bounce the ball. The replays clearly showed that McVeigh touch the ball and it should have been a behind instead of a goal. The AFL have stuffed up again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

Now a whinge.

AFL umpires always state that all goals are reviewed. They should wait until they do before they bounce the ball. The replays clearly showed that McVeigh touch the ball and it should have been a behind instead of a goal. The AFL have stuffed up again.

I agree Rip but i thought early the umps threw the whistle away so Brown's free kicks he didn't get evened it up.:smile:

So join in the chorus and sing it one and all.:partytime2:

Edited by farmerjo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, farmerjo said:

I agree Rip but i thought early the umps threw the whistle away so Brown's free kicks he didn't get evened it up.:smile:

This was not the Umps putting the whistle away. We are always informed that all goals are reviewed. To day it was proved that this is incorrect. Sorry they may be reviewed but not before the ball is bounced. The AFL have to change their procedure. The goal review people have to inform the umpires it is clear to bounce. We used to wait for the TV channels to show their adds before the bounce so this I think this is more important . It can change the out come of a game. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

This was not the Umps putting the whistle away. We are always informed that all goals are reviewed. To day it was proved that this is incorrect. Sorry they may be reviewed but not before the ball is bounced. The AFL have to change their procedure. The goal review people have to inform the umpires it is clear to bounce. We used to wait for the TV channels to show their adds before the bounce so this I think this is more important . It can change the out come of a game. 

That will only work when they spend the money at EVERY ground the AFL play at.

50 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

So was that decision the difference in game,i think not.

Jack kicking points instead of goals was the difference.

Or Poofely missing the last shot at goal of the night. 

Edited by farmerjo

2 hours ago, ripstanley said:

Now a whinge.

The whole review system has become a bit of a joke.

Even today, Tom Mitchell clearly kicked a goal after the siren.

You wouldn't think it would be hard to sort that out at the 3 quarter time break.

I expect well hear some more apologies from the AFL again this week.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ripstanley said:

I reckon the score reviewers have been under pressure this past week or so to hurry up the process

and they got it wrong.

The AFL has got to be better than that.

It didn't cosy the Swans the game though IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ripstanley said:

Well done FJ with the Roos win over the Swans. Great to see you tipped them.

Yep, nice work FJ.

Glad to see your boys are giving you some enjoyment this year.

Enjoy it mate.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thechook said:

Saints gave everyone a head start to even up the competition, we are going to make our move against the demons.

And it should continue today....making us the new glamour boys for May...meanwhile Kev Muscat who was looking at queuing up at Centrelink this coming weekend pulled it off last night in Newcastle, taking there 4th flag and his second coming from 4th to do it and only winning 3 times out of 19 in Newcastle, hope the Demons were watching Victory, I might even suggest Muscat replace Goodwin come end of season...Victory have played in 6 grand finals in the 11 years of Aleague inception and Muscat has been involved in every one either as player or coach...There for I throw my hat into the ring for him to replace Goodwin....

I noticed the Crows fell in as well as the Kangaroos....some people are lucky....thats 1 upset and even more today could be a nervous afternoon for me..

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Will27 said:

I reckon the score reviewers have been under pressure this past week or so to hurry up the process

and they got it wrong.

The AFL has got to be better than that.

It didn't cosy the Swans the game though IMO.

A cop out by the AFL methinks.

www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-06/afl-gives-the-ok-to-controversial-goals

"There was not enough definitive evidence to overrule and change the decision in time before the restart of play, so the original decision stood."

• Like 1

And yes the gods finally bless St Kilda.  That useless piece of excrement in McCartin has another concussion and his career may finally be finnished.  The useless flog is made of glass and will never be anything.  I won the lottery when I saw him go down.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

Well gang, only really one upset for the round, with FJ's boys Norf getting over Sydney.

Brisbane pushed Collingwood but it was to no avail.

As far as the results go, 7 picked 8 with Grannysapples getting closest to the margin with 43.

Mr Smith keeps his 4 game margin on top.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Will27 said:

MEDICAL ROOM
St Kilda: McCartin came from the field early in the second term and appeared to have some blood tests and treatment to his leg before returning to the ground shortly afterwards. Ten minutes later, McCartin was involved in an accidental head clash with Neville Jetta. The Saint spearhead took a few seconds to get to his feet and came from the ground again soon after and headed into the Saints' rooms. He returned at the six-minute mark of third term and played out the game until he came to the interchange bench for the final term midway through the final quarter.

I reckon the Saints have got more to worry about than continually bagging a 22 year old TBH Chooks.

Saints supporters hate the useless piece of dung, they want him gone for good.  Been on the books 4 years and given absolutely nothing to the team.  He has proven he will never ever make it as a reasonable AFL player

A quick wrap of this weeks fantasy.

Alex's Delightful Dees had a good percentage booster over Numnuts 1877-1009 and will be delighted with his red and blue scorers.

Great score of 1967 for Grannys Apples to get over Rip with 1840(good score as well)

Final game came down to the last minute of the last game with FJ's Flyers falling across the line over Chooks Saints

1648-1642.

So after 5 games the ladder is Grannys Apples undefeated followed FJ,Alex,Chook,Rip and Numbnuts bringing up the rear.

• Like 2