Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

19 minutes ago, GrantSmith said:

Pressures of modern day footy or kids getting soft?

Future Brownlow medal winner explains...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-01/cooked-swan-isaac-heeney-now-sizzling-ahead-of-finals

I don’t think their getting soft.

Not my quote;  scorced from;  https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/how-much-ground-does-an-elite-afl-player-cover-in-a-game.899604/

There's no correlation between being an "elite" midfielder and distance covered...i imagine most of the elite mids would normally cover somewhere between 12 and maybe 15km per game, but too many factors to generalise about distance covered. Often well over 15km.
What we do know is that the average of all players is just over 13km, most distance covered in 1st qtr, then about the same 2nd +3rd then a bit less in the last...seems to follow what you'd expect. Forwards do cover less distance but probably not as significant as you'd expect. A few years ago Riewoldt for instance was covering more distance than most midfielders, but then mids will often be interchanged at a greater rate, or be switched more often so lots of variables. Defenders in general a fraction more distance than forwards (12.5km ish) and average similar to mids, about 13km or just over. 
As far as grounds go, Subiaco is where the most distance is covered, 2nd SCG, 3rd Gabba, 4th MCG. Subi also registers highest in exertion index so its basically the toughest ground especially on the mids. Players from top 4 clubs usually cover less ground than bottom 4 clubs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GrantSmith said:

Pressures of modern day footy or kids getting soft?

Future Brownlow medal winner explains...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-01/cooked-swan-isaac-heeney-now-sizzling-ahead-of-finals

Could be something we see more of in the coming years.... Maybe Stringer and Hogan could have been given a couple of week spell mid year 

ANyone have a player or position you want your club to pick up for next year?

For me...Swans..there are none really...I'll be happy to be surprised with someone...But our youngsters and list looks good.

Tommy Mitchell is going going gone!!!   But that possie can be filled with who we have.

2 hours ago, Radar501 said:

Living in LOS?   Love your footy?   Why not support your local club?   Help Aussie Rules take over the world.

Thailand Tigers (Thaigers) was formed in 1996, and now runs a domestic league as well as playing in the annual AFL Asian Championship.

http://www.thailand-tigers.com/the-club/

ICC-2014-320.jpg

Good to see West Coaster Embers involved.

1 hour ago, BookMan said:

Could be something we see more of in the coming years.... Maybe Stringer and Hogan could have been given a couple of week spell mid year 

I feel a bit for Hogan.

Still only 21 and playing as a key position forward.

Like Roosy said on OM, "we expect far too much of our young players these days, especially high draft picks".

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, BookMan said:

ANyone have a player or position you want your club to pick up for next year?

For me...Swans..there are none really...I'll be happy to be surprised with someone...But our youngsters and list looks good.

Tommy Mitchell is going going gone!!!   But that possie can be filled with who we have.

Would love another midfielder like JOM, but seems he wants to go to Melbourne.

With Nic Nat going down, we could really do with Rory Lobb.

I hope WC throw everything they can at him.

• Like 2

What's everyone's gut feelings about next weeks finals?

To me, it isn't as clear cut as people are making out.

The only result I would be really surprised at  would be if Norf beat Adelaide.

Gws are real dangerous and at ANZ, their run and carry game could beat anyone.

The Hawks and Geelong have had some belters lately. If the Hawks lose and win their next final (probably against WC)

they will have to play either Syd or GWS to get through to the GF.

WC should beat the WB but questions marks remain over Scott Lycett and the Doggies are never easy to beat.

They will set themselves for this one.

If history this year tells us anything, there will be a slip up.

6 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Would love another midfielder like JOM, but seems he wants to go to Melbourne.

With Nic Nat going down, we could really do with Rory Lobb.

I hope WC throw everything they can at him.

They'll need to with him having another year on contract i reckon..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

The Hawks and Geelong have had some belters lately. If the Hawks lose and win their next final (probably against WC)

WC should beat the WB but questions marks remain over Scott Lycett and the Doggies are never easy to beat.

Adelaide will beat Norths

I hope with a big H that Swans will overcome GWS. GWS with bad media this week may have a problem.

Hawks V Geelong could go either way but if Geelong repeat their last week performance they should win. Only trouble they will be playing at the MCG

I hope the WC win but the Dogs will be tough. This will be  their 2nd straight game on DS and may have picked up a few tips

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Will27 said:

I actually think Scott threw a spanner in the works hoping for a miracle by ending the careers of 4 of his players, i wont be surprised if North do beat the Crows and all of a sudden the Crows dont look so promising, WCE took them apart like the Hawks did earlier in the season in Adeleide, I'm sure all the finals teams took note of that.

ps..it reminds me some of when the Dee's made the finals after eons, the whole club was behind the push, Robbie (Brownlow) Flower had never played in a final and was in his last season, Stevens a club champion and games record holder and still a very good player maybe the inspiration that propels North to something that looked rather hopeless a little while ago.

Edited by AlexRRR
  • Like 1

CHOOKs will be all smiles this morning, Jack Steven takes the Trevor Barker award his 3rd.

Membrey was also named best emerging player 44 goals from 17 games.

Cloke likes the Dogs, sees it as a fit but wait Tigers showing interest also, they will throw in a set of kitchen knifes and an electric carver to get him, the romantic notion of a Cloke move to Tigerland is more than real for you guys that come from expansion clubs wouldn't know that dad Cloke was an awesome forward playing for the Tigers then at his prime lured over to 4 & 20 land, dad David played 219 games of 333 with the Tigers, David Cloke has been an astute manger of both sons that started at the Pies giving nothing away and opening up the field have not ruled out an interstate move.

Hardwick is in an uncomfortable position at Tigerland, coaching staff left right and centre are being let go or encouraged to look elsewhere with key recruiting and other football staffers waiting for the axe, Football boss Daniel Richardson is sliding on a blunt razor blade with now an unhappy Neil Balme at Pie land and again you interstates wouldn't know this was once a champion ruck man at the Tigers, a former coach of the Dee's ( yes he was, got us to play Sth Aussie style footy after being lured from Norwood where he had success as a coach, we looked great when winning but cut to ribbons by good sides when loosing) played a big part at the Cats as footy boss is on the nose at the Pies and a Tigers home coming would be a fitting and romantic notion for there fans.

Forgotten bad boy Brendon Fevola last heard of kicking the ball around up in a northern Vic footy league amazing he is still going expects friend and former teammate Tom Rockliff to stay at the Lions...... the tip he will get traded....

And the news you have all been waiting for Cats captain Joel Selwood named AA skipper for the third time, surprisingly 2 Tigers named in the team, cult hero and the Dee's named as numero uno ruck man Maxie Gawn,  third Tiger Dusty named as an interchange....top teams well covered in this list you can read about it here...http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/allaustralian-team-2016-joel-selwood-named-captain-for-third-time-20160901-gr6on3.html

• Like 1

Bonjour Monsieur Alex

David Cloke;  Niel Balme;

Are you assuming that tipsters from interstates would not know of these past reverend players?

You are not the only one with a few sunsets behind you. 

There is a rudimentary education system (the three Rs, Reading , Righting & Rithmatic are encouraged) over here in the West and we have television too.

But, please continue to enlighten us/me with your vast store of football knowledge and witty postings.

Hope you are up for enjoying a non Melbourne based club GF.

Go Weagles...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

I actually think Scott threw a spanner in the works hoping for a miracle by ending the careers of 4 of his players, i wont be surprised if North do beat the Crows and all of a sudden the Crows dont look so promising, WCE took them apart like the Hawks did earlier in the season in Adeleide, I'm sure all the finals teams took note of that.

ps..it reminds me some of when the Dee's made the finals after eons, the whole club was behind the push, Robbie (Brownlow) Flower had never played in a final and was in his last season, Stevens a club champion and games record holder and still a very good player maybe the inspiration that propels North to something that looked rather hopeless a little while ago.

North have a good record playing in Adelaide, they could quite easily cause an upset. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexRRR said:

CHOOKs will be all smiles this morning, Jack Steven takes the Trevor Barker award his 3rd.

Cloke likes the Dogs, sees it as a fit but wait Tigers showing interest also, they will throw in a set of kitchen knifes and an electric carver to get him, the romantic notion of a Cloke move to Tigerland is more than real for you guys that come from expansion clubs wouldn't know that dad Cloke was an awesome forward playing for the Tigers then at his prime lured over to 4 & 20 land, dad David played 219 games of 333 with the Tigers, David Cloke has been an astute manger of both sons that started at the Pies giving nothing away and opening up the field have not ruled out an interstate move.

Hardwick is in an uncomfortable position at Tigerland, coaching staff left right and centre are being let go or encouraged to look elsewhere with key recruiting and other football staffers waiting for the axe, Football boss Daniel Richardson is sliding on a blunt razor blade with now an unhappy Neil Balme at Pie land and again you interstates wouldn't know this was once a champion ruck man at the Tigers, a former coach of the Dee's ( yes he was, got us to play Sth Aussie style footy after being lured from Norwood where he had success as a coach, we looked great when winning but cut to ribbons by good sides when loosing) played a big part at the Cats as footy boss is on the nose at the Pies and a Tigers home coming would be a fitting and romantic notion for there fans.

Forgotten bad boy Brendon Fevola last heard of kicking the ball around up in a northern Vic footy league amazing he is still going expects friend and former teammate Tom Rockliff to stay at the Lions...... the tip he will get traded....

And the news you have all been waiting for Cats captain Joel Selwood named AA skipper for the third time, surprisingly 2 Tigers named in the team, cult hero and the Dee's named as numero uno ruck man Maxie Gawn,  third Tiger Dusty named as an interchange....top teams well covered in this list you can read about it here...http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/allaustralian-team-2016-joel-selwood-named-captain-for-third-time-20160901-gr6on3.html

Cloke has said he wants to go to a club with a winning culture so that counts out Richmond.

Anyone here think Hardwick will see out the rest of his contract?

Not sure if Cloke will be a good fit for the Dogs. I know Redpath is out but still unsure if he's a good fit for them.

Cloke is rumoured to be on $500 000, down from $800 000 the previous year as performance indicators were not met.

I Imagine Collingwood would have to pay around $150 000 of his salary. Can't imagine WB paying $500 000 for a player

who couldn't get a game. Especially when they have another forward on a million a year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

Something you obviously don't know Alex is that Balme is a Western Australian who started his senior footy at my old club, Subiaco.

His junior footy was at the Wembly Amateur club who were in the same competition as my junior club, Scarborough. We had epic clashes over a number of years with that club whom we regarded as our strongest rivals. Balme is a few years younger than me so I never played against him.

• Like 1

I can't understand why anyone would want to pay big bucks for Cloke!

He will be 30 before next season starts and is a very iffy footballer in my book. Some days good, too many other days crap!

For a struggling club he might be worth it on a basic salary with performance bonuses.

• Like 1