Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

10 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

Well its on, so where playing...but can someone explain the reasoning behind 16 min quarters....

The AFL believes that the quicker the players get off the ground, the less chance of exposure to Covid-19 ????

Does anyone know what happens if there is only 3 games, or 10 games played?  and then a break of 4 weeks.
Will there be finals based on those 10 games played?

14 hours ago, farmerjo said:

I need the footy on.

Ducked over to the Philippines for a weeks work.Just been put in isolation for 9 days and domestic travel ban here till at least mid April.

Room service with san miguel is nice with full pay but the movie one flew over the cukoo's nest keeps going round in my head.????

Well what a lucky guy you are Fj.....you could call room service for a massage and things and in-between that you got hours to mull over your fantasy team....the current premier you have a high standard to attain fella.....

I expect you to come out of the blocks firing......

This year I think its been a bit off hard work getting a team together so I decided to stick the team full of Dee's as I do normally anyway assuming they walk the talk there all going up 15% before to long....

By the way there pretty lax over there, you could slip out easy and no one will notice.....if your a shorty you will blend in with the crowed particular well and if you have that Thai tan well say no more......

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Will27 said:

One of the reasons might be that they're going to try and cram a lot of games together into a short

time frame. AFL are suggesting 5 games in 3 weeks in some cases.

The cynic in me would be that they've asked the players to take a 20% pay cut so they've shortened

the game by 20%.

So thats it....we have NO idea....and they didnt offer one either.....so I put your on notice here and now....at some point in the near future they may want to tinker with the length of quarters.....as well as breaks between, Chanel seven and Fox arnt shy, its a TV thing....

Jordan Lewis said last night 19 min quarters WILL be over in a flash for players, recons from that time on is where the players tend to get weary.....so is this Gills version of speeding the game up? like if its to fast we might miss the action?...and why do we need to speed it up anyway may I ask? Like isnt good defending a part of the game too?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Radar501 said:

I recall in the not-so-distant past there was talk of the AFL reducing the number of rounds AND shortening the quarters coz of player fatigue.   2020 may well be used as a guinea pig to see how things unfold.

WILL has said previously that tipping is a marathon, and not a sprint.   Soooooo, this season is maybe a middle distance 10 k run?   But with a few unexpected hurdles along the way.

YES, I'VE STILL GOT IT.

Yep,

I'm an advocate for shorter games so looking forward to see how it plays out.

Going to be fascinating to see how the shorter game affects different game styles.

Will it suit WC who like a to retain possession and prefer a kicking game?

Or will it suit sides like Port who like to take it on and run and stun?

Use of the interchange will also be interesting.

You never lost it Radar.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, wendyfromoz said:

I hear a North Melbourne player has been sent home sick.  Saints/north game may be off.

Can't see any information that the game is in doubt....yet.

Sniffles' could delay Majak's stunning comeback

A GARDEN-variety cold could delay North Melbourne defender Majak Daw's much-awaited senior return.

Daw's played only four VFL games and a pair of pre-season hitouts since sustaining serious hip and pelvic injuries in a fall from a Melbourne bridge about 15 months ago.

An untimely hamstring injury ended his chances of making a fairytale AFL comeback last year and now a more unlikely ailment could postpone it.

Kangaroos coach Rhyce Shaw told reporters on Thursday morning that club doctors had sent Daw home as a precaution despite being hopeful he did not have the coronavirus. 

The 29-year-old will be named in North's 26-man squad to face St Kilda at Marvel Stadium on Sunday but a final decision on whether he plays will be made in the coming days.

Daw won't be tested for COVID-19 at this stage because his symptoms don’t fit the criteria.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexRRR said:

So thats it....we have NO idea....and they didnt offer one either.....so I put your on notice here and now....at some point in the near future they may want to tinker with the length of quarters.....as well as breaks between, Chanel seven and Fox arnt shy, its a TV thing....

Jordan Lewis said last night 19 min quarters WILL be over in a flash for players, recons from that time on is where the players tend to get weary.....so is this Gills version of speeding the game up? like if its to fast we might miss the action?...and why do we need to speed it up anyway may I ask? Like isnt good defending a part of the game too?

Put your tinfoil hat away ol fella

Its in the AFL website 

""Games will be shortened to 16 minutes plus time on giving the AFL room to push more games into a smaller window at the start of the season

https://www.afl.com.au/news/386263/it-s-on-afl-confirms-round-one-will-go-ahead

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BookmanBkk said:

Not quite the same viewing spectacle without a crowd roaring on.  This must be what soccer supporters in OZ are used to 

Quiet footy is better than no footy IMO.

Some of the crowds the Perth Glory get a really good and boy do they make some noise.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Quiet footy is better than no footy IMO.

Some of the crowds the Perth Glory get a really good and boy do they make some noise.

certaily better to have some I agree

I think you are right about Perth Glory mate.  I believe their crowds are averaging almost 8000 this year. Makes for a great echo effect in full song

• Like 1

I think the NRL players and staff/coaches and head office could take a 30% pay cut and be okay. Why would the government give this professional multi billion organisation assistance? ?
It'll make me even sicker to hear the AFL getting assistance also.

ScoMo and his boffins should take a walk around some of the streets and see the closed cafes and restaurants and already the For Lease signs going up

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/pay-cuts-on-ice-government-agrees-to-consider-nrl-in-stimulus-package-20200319-p54by0.html

footymoney.PNG

Edited by BookmanBkk
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, BookmanBkk said:

I think the NRL players could take a 30% pay cut and be okay. Why would the government give this professional multi billion organisation assistance? ?
It'll make me even sicker to ear teh AFL etting assistance also.

ScoMo and his boffins should take a walk around some of the streets and see the closed cafes and restaurants and already the For Lease signs going up

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/pay-cuts-on-ice-government-agrees-to-consider-nrl-in-stimulus-package-20200319-p54by0.html

footymoney.PNG

The NRL has been criminally mismanaged IMO.

Eddie was saying on Talking Footy that it was more than likely that the AFL would not be granted any

government handouts but would be offered a line of credit.

• Like 1

AFL REVEALS PLAN IF PLAYER TESTS POSITIVE TO CORONAVIRUS

By Glenn McFarlane

The AFL season will shut down for a minimum of 30 days if a player from one of the 18 clubs tests positive for coronavirus, according to league chief executive Gillon McLachlan.

A day after the season opened before empty MCG stadiums, McLachlan said he knew of a number of players who were in quarantine at the moment, but stressed no player in tonight's Collingwood-Western Bulldogs game at Marvel Stadium was under a cloud.

McLachlan also said he had spoken with football operations chief Steve Hocking about getting the on field protocols better than they were for the Richmond-Carlton clash on Thursday night.

42 minutes ago, Will27 said:

By Glenn McFarlane

The AFL season will shut down for a minimum of 30 days if a player from one of the 18 clubs tests positive for coronavirus, according to league chief executive Gillon McLachlan.

A day after the season opened before empty MCG stadiums, McLachlan said he knew of a number of players who were in quarantine at the moment, but stressed no player in tonight's Collingwood-Western Bulldogs game at Marvel Stadium was under a cloud.

McLachlan also said he had spoken with football operations chief Steve Hocking about getting the on field protocols better than they were for the Richmond-Carlton clash on Thursday night.

What a mess... policy on the run

Both the AFL and NRL will be getting all time high ratings for each game, given there isn't anything else for people to do. 
Melbournians are used to that i guess, but kind of new for the rest of the country

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Will27 said:

TBF

A lot of this stuff is unprecedented.

Things seem to be changing hourly so expect these type

of announcements regularly.

Mate i reckon that's why they should have held back a week or three, rather than rushing the decision through in a week of will we/wont we moments'.
Better to think it through properly and see whats happening in other places and formulate policies
Teams cant stop their players drinking, taking drugs, partying after hours, crashing cars, im not confident they will be able to stop young players getting out and about ánd interacting

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BookmanBkk said:

certaily better to have some I agree

I think you are right about Perth Glory mate.  I believe their crowds are averaging almost 8000 this year. Makes for a great echo effect in full song

Ha....Victory pull in the mid 20's at AAMI and known to have pulled 40,000 odd at that dome what ever they call it now...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

By Glenn McFarlane

Well i got sick with the hot cold when i got back, thought it went away but came back this past week....or it never left who knows...anyway as a precusion had a phone consultation with the Doc and he recons im right as far as Covid-19 goes since its been a month and he did check me originally within that first 8 days on return, told me there's been an influenza spike in Melbourne, says a lot around already so good chance the players have what i have....If your never been to Melbourne and you only heard about our weather...... everything you heard was RIGHT.....we have had great 4 or 5 summer days in the high 20's, today a coolish looking day top of 22...with winter like 17 over the weeknd......certainly doesnt get boring here.....except August....i hate it.....normaly grey skies for like a month...i get very moody and want to cut peoples throats....well not that drastic...

• Like 2