Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

6 hours ago, BookmanBkk said:

Joey will boot 400 goals for Sydney

On crutches and being held up by Swans medical staff........

He could go play for the Onuralla all stars if he wants out of the fishbowl...

Edited by AlexRRR
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/6/2020 at 4:13 PM, Will27 said:
 Some tweets by Titus.

Well done Victoria. Not since Donald Bradman have I seen someone bring up centuries with such consistency

Freo and Adelaide have positioned the bar so low, I’m nervous about how Melbourne are still going to manage to get under it.

Melbourne/Tigers
Letting the opposition have a loose man in defence for a quarter you score one point in seems odd coaching.

No need to award a Most Improved Award for the Dees this season.

Only took almost two quarters but Melbourne kick a goal. We’re a real chance to score another one before the end of the game.

Well the lads have egg all over there faces .....doing preseason vids and talking loud every man and his dog are having a go at them today.....

Seen Cornes, Lyon and a few others today smeer the the stuff all over there faces....

Another intresting artical was Tiger sometime ago made a perlim thinking they were in the window so went out just like the Dees and bought up to only fold and not make a final for 12 more years....

The problem is this team cant even be embarrassed enough to get them to pull there fingers out......

• Like 1

By the way Andy has put the city of Melbourne in lockdown for the next 6 weeks....to bad the Dees were able to make that flight....they wouldnt have been noticed if they had not turned up for games....

• Like 2

Its midweek........Im sure the Demons are enjoying themselves at the Novotel Sydney, which is way too posh for there brand of football....but the world rolls on....this morning Mary Trump had exerts of her book in CNN.....well it would seem she has issues too even a clinical quack that she is, read it it eventually comes out, Don has already labeled it lies...didnt take long....and will revel in the free marketing of his image.....really everyone plays into his hands you know....the guy like the Demons just cant be embarrassed even when they put out a bunch of lies....He gets all this free press every day and it just feeds his ego.....

The president of Brazil or Brasil which is how they spell it but you know the English....still think in colonial terms....has contacted Corvid-19, funny that after banging on the last 4 months that its really nothing has caught it.......Could be a get out of jail card for the Dee's if they claim corvid infections for last weeks game too...

In a light hearted story I read yesterday and appears in the Yank version of CNN This morning a Queenslander obviously a tradie was driving along a city street when he realised something was wrapped around his leg....turned out to be a brown snake and got a bit upset with him....lunging fangs between his legs, like me he carries a Swiss army knife for lunch and such duties if a snake should join the ride home retrieved it and managed to kill it while driving....throws the now deceased snake into the back of his ute and dead sure hes been bitten on his nuts races to a hospital....police clock him at 123kms an hour......couldnt have been to worried I would have been flat chat.... or it could have been an old Hilux,....they dont go fast at all, still have the 1200cc Corolla engines in it......anyway once the policeman realises this guy is not on drugs and is for real dials ahead to paramedics, turns out he was very lucky as no fang marks on his nuts or anywhere else for that matter.... though still needed to get treated for high stress levels so a good douse double shot of tranquilliser was in order...Hey that might do the trick.....drop a few baby brown snakes into the jocks of Dee players next game.....

I was flabbergasted to read that the owner of the Washington Redskins after pressure from the NFL WILL be changing there name and logo to something more politicly correct, I stand with Donald Trump here, Redskins inply strength, seems they the American Indian see Redskin as a derogatory word, gees thin skins I think.....the Baseball Cleveland Indians are looking at a name change too, how stupid has it got? what do we call a gollwog doll today then? You know 3/4 of an NFL team is coloured yet it took the killing of a drugie rapist and deadbeat to get the world to march ......ummmm.... If this is the case its clear as the nose on our face that Demons for the MFC is derogatory too....there is no way in hell the Dee's can lay claim to there name after being lame for 40 of the 50 years since there last flag.....the Hawks use to be called the Mayflowers I think that suites the Dee's very well....they only come once a year....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

I was flabbergasted to read that the owner of the Washington Redskins after pressure from the NFL WILL be changing there name and logo to something more politicly correct, I stand with Donald Trump here, Redskins inply strength, seems they the American Indian see Redskin as a derogatory word, gees thin skins I think.....the Baseball Cleveland Indians are looking at a name change too, how stupid has it got? what do we call a gollwog doll today then? You know 3/4 of an NFL team is coloured yet it took the killing of a drugie rapist and deadbeat to get the world to march ......ummmm.... If this is the case its clear as the nose on our face that Demons for the MFC is derogatory too....there is no way in hell the Dee's can lay claim to there name after being lame for 40 of the 50 years since there last flag.....the Hawks use to be called the Mayflowers I think that suites the Dee's very well....they only come once a year....

It's happening a lot now Kemosabe.

More to come you'd expect.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-23/nestle-red-skins-chicos-allens-lollies-rebrand-overtones/12384986

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Will27 said:

It's happening a lot now Kemosabe.

More to come you'd expect.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-23/nestle-red-skins-chicos-allens-lollies-rebrand-overtones/12384986

I thought we are mostly adults and can understand the difference.......by the way I been searching high and low and yet to find anyone who stocks the Pollywaffle..........now the polly might find it degrotaory to be associated with the waffle......

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

I thought we are mostly adults and can understand the difference.......by the way I been searching high and low and yet to find anyone who stocks the Pollywaffle..........now the polly might find it degrotaory to be associated with the waffle......

Next year mate.

Polly Waffle return fast-tracked due to the coronavirus crisis

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/national/2020/04/30/polly-waffle-coronavirus/

The Polly Waffle will make its long-awaited return in early 2021.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

I've got no problems with these teams changing their names. What was once acceptable might no longer be acceptable socially

Golliwogs... over the top caricatures of a black person with massive lips. Into the historical bin with those too.

Darkie toothpaste changed its name to Darlie 30 years back now

Darlie is still the same great refreshing taste we enjoyed pre-name change...no reason it can't be true for others who change name

Darkie1.jpg

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

Next year mate.

Polly Waffle return fast-tracked due to the coronavirus crisis

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/national/2020/04/30/polly-waffle-coronavirus/

The Polly Waffle will make its long-awaited return in early 2021.

Ahhhh i had that bloke stocking shelves at Coles last week searching high and low for me....so there you go.....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BookmanBkk said:

Streets in Melbourne deserted before Lockdown, as you can see form this video

Think you WILL find lockdown officially starts tonight....that by the way looks like Melbourne Central station which is a underground railway station right in the smack bang middle of a large shopping area in the city.....but yea were all bullet proof down here....

Well that went right over her head......see what the Demons have done to my brain....ive become twisted and sarcastic....

Windcheater girl is about to go into a work meeting....i asked  if she was wearing a power black suite.....she replies no a floral dress....i replied she wont get noticed in the meeting.....she replies "Boss notice me sure becasue my look so sweet" with a laugh....i replied yep look like a sexy secretary.....she follows up with a pic and wearing a black mask.....

Me....the black mask does alot for you,

seconds later.....you look like wall paper.....(shes wering a green floral long sleeve dress)

later again.... even a curtin....

later again.... plain colours dear....

later again....do i have to teach you everything.....

bit later again.....next time im in bkk take me shopping with you ok....

she replies with a sticker that says NO.....

then.....maybe....if you sponsor me....with a smiley face.....

I reply.....you earn more than me......

she....."why you would like to shopping with me?"

I .......you need some help with clothes choices darling"

she....No ....i think

she.....you are not good consultant in womans clothes.....

i...yes i am....

she.....But....your style maybe not my style (smily with kiss)

me...you need to adapt to a more western business mode of clothes dear..

and a conversation i had with her about her underdaks a few weeks back didnt seem to make any progress either....

2 hours ago, BookmanBkk said:

I've got no problems with these teams changing their names. What was once acceptable might no longer be acceptable socially

Golliwogs... over the top caricatures of a black person with massive lips. Into the historical bin with those too.

Darkie toothpaste changed its name to Darlie 30 years back now

Darlie is still the same great refreshing taste we enjoyed pre-name change...no reason it can't be true for others who change name

Darkie1.jpg

If we're going to pander to the vocal minorities though BM, where will it all end?

I agree some things should go, but we live in a world now where people just

love to get outraged.

For Nestle to ban the name Chico, for me is over the top.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 2

A HIGHLY UNHELPFUL GUIDE TO ROUND SIX

Titus O'reily

Thursday

Geelong v Brisbane (SCG) 7:40pm Seven

If you’re reading this, the worst has happened and I’m back in lockdown.

I should add that unlike other times in my life, about five million other people are also in lockdown in Melbourne.

It was a real kick in the guts to learn we were all going back into lockdown.

Being a Melbourne supporter, I’m used to misery, followed by healthy doses of even more misery, but even I found the news hard.

At least the Victorian AFL teams got to flee in the night to continue the season.

Some people complain about them getting special treatment, but at least the AFL season provides you with something to have on in the background as your world collapses around you.

To cheer everyone up, I’ve written a list of all the positive things happening worldwide in 2020, so we can focus on them to cheer ourselves up:

·      Collingwood imploding

·      We get to watch Matt Rowell play

We begin this round with Geelong hosting Brisbane at their traditional home, the Sydney Cricket Ground.

I always knew it would take something of the magnitude of a global pandemic for the AFL to become less Victoria focused. 

The Cats are up against this year’s premiers, the Brisbane Lions, who are one of about three teams actually keen to see this season continue.

I think they’ll beat Geelong here.

Friday

Collingwood v Hawthorn (GS) 7:50pm

Collingwood falling apart isn’t filling the gaping hole of sadness that exists within me this year, but I do appreciate them trying.

Whenever I think I’m not coping well, I just look at how Eddie is handling the year and I feel a lot better about how I’m coping. Then I remember one of us is an adult, so it’s not a fair comparison.

This of course is at Giants Stadium, and I’m looking forward to Eddie now calling for his team to get a Cost of Living Allowance.

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Hawthorn actually have a very good record against Collingwood in recent years and face a depleted Pies team due to injuries, suspensions and just general mess.

The Hawks though will be without Jon Patton for a second week, after he spilt hot oil on his foot, didn’t tell anyone, trained, then pulled up sore and ended up with an infection.

This is the most ‘she’ll be right’ handling of an injury I’ve seen in a while.

Hawks to win.

Saturday

Fremantle v St Kilda (Metricon) 12:35pm Foxtel   

I’ve always felt an affinity with Dockers supporters. They know what it’s like going through life supporting a team whose natural inclination is to sink to the bottom.

It’s as if some clubs, like some people, are so weighed down with emotional baggage, they can never reach great heights.

What’s impressive about the Dockers, is they’ve picked up a lot of emotional baggage so quickly, given they’re a relatively young club.

I think they often don’t get enough credit for this.

St Kilda, who are a similar club normally, seem to be turning things around, a dangerous phase, that false hope is a real killer. That’s the funny thing about hope, it’s dangerous and the only thing worse than it is no hope.

Now Saints fans have hope. Their coach has a real-life game plan, one of about three in existence in the AFL, and they have a complimentary mix of players, another odd bit of balance in the League.

Of course, this being St Kilda, this could all go sideways at a moment’s notice, but I’d like to see them do well. Just one group of people being happy would be nice this year.

Saints to win.

West Coast v Adelaide (G) 3:05pm Foxtel

Eagles fans will be excited their club’s time in Queensland coming to an end. It will signal a new phase, where the club will need to come up with new excuses for not winning.

So far, the Eagles have only beaten Melbourne and Sydney, not exactly prized scalps.

Luckily, this week they face the Adelaide Crows, arguably the best sitcom of the last few years. It’s either them, Schitt’s Creek or The Good Place.

Locking the Crows players in their homes for the next six weeks would be welcomed by Adelaide fans. It would be an act of mercy.

The hard thing for the Crows hierarchy is accepting their role in a lot of players leaving. Their attitude has been, ‘it’s not us, it’s you’.

That’s sometimes true, but not if you’re on your eighth divorce. A little bit of self-reflection comes in handy at times, even if it’s a little jarring.

Eagles to win.

Melbourne v Gold Coast (GS) 6:05pm Foxtel

Simon Goodwin may be a rare person whose job is actually saved by a pandemic.

With Covid raging, clubs might be a bit more gun-shy when it comes to firing a coach, reasoning this is not a normal year, plus they’re broke, and this is a bad time to pay out a coach.

Should Goodwin go? It’s the question Dees fans have been asking in increasing numbers this year. Last year was painted as an ‘off-year’ by the club hierarchy, which delayed a lot of criticism, but it just kicked the can down the road, with a lot of interest added.

Now that’s all come due, and the Dees don’t have the wins, or the signs of improvement, to prevent the tidal wave of anger coming.

A loss to the Gold Coast and I think the Board will come under more pressure rather than Goodwin.

After all, they rushed to extend his contract, placing them in a position where they now can’t afford to make a change.

This isn’t to say the team under Goodwin can’t be turned around, but there’s no goodwill left for him or the club hierarchy, so it will need to happen very soon.

The Gold Coast losing Matt Rowell, to use a rather flowery phrase, sucks.

It’s just another sign 2020 hates us all. I was more invested in his season than I was in my own club, mainly because one of them seemed to have a love of the game.

The Suns though still have a lot going for them. Even against Geelong they had moments of really skilful ball movement and physical attack on the ball. It gives you hope that any team can turn things around. But as we know, it’s the hope that kills you.

Gold Coast to win.

Essendon v North Melbourne (Metricon) 7:40pm Seven

It’s a nice try by syndesmosis, but I think Coronavirus has medical term of the year wrapped up already no matter what happens, a bit like Rowell having the Rising Star.

The Bombers have lost Jake Stringer to a syndesmosis injury for possibly a few months. It’s another thing that separates the rest of us from Bombers supporters, they prefer having Jake Stringer around.

Having no forward line is a problem, but North have a forward line and don’t use it, so this could be a low scoring affair.

North entered their forward fifty last week with the trepidation of someone entering Metropolitan Melbourne at the moment.

And I want to thank my interstate friends for ringing me this week to see how I was going.

One conversation went like this:

“G’day mate, just ringing to see how you’re travelling.”

“Well, the whole thing is I’m not travelling. I’m stuck in this bloody house for another six weeks.”

“Well, sucks to be you.”

“Stop calling me Berejiklian.”

Essendon to win.

Sunday 

Port Adelaide v Greater Western Sydney (Metricon) 1:05pm Foxtel

The Giants would be happy with the rumours that ANZ Stadium could host the Grand Final this year.

Personally, I’d have ANZ Stadium just behind Chernobyl and North Korea as good places to host the AFL Grand Final.

ANZ Stadium, a place I’ve been many times, is one of the worst places in the world.

Why would you even consider there, when you have Optus Stadium and Adelaide Oval? Two of the best places to watch sport in the country.

It’s not even a close competition. Adelaide Oval is the most beautiful stadium in the country and Optus Stadium is the loudest I’ve been in and has an amazing atmosphere. Even being located in Perth, Optus Stadium is still easier to get to than ANZ Stadium.

Port had a real wakeup call against the Lions last week and it will be interesting to see if it spurs them on here against an improving Giants team.  

At some point the Power have to rise from mediocrity, right? Or fall, but one of the two.

In past years, a loss like last week would see then drop the next few, then win a couple then break even until ninth or tenth was secured.

I think they might be different this year, but I’ve fallen into that trap before, but I like making the same mistakes, it’s comforting, so I’m tipping Port.

Richmond v Sydney (G) 3:35pm Seven

Richmond fled north but left a few things back at home. We’ve all done that when travelling.

The debate over whether AFL players should be thanked and praised for heading into hubs or mocked for acting hard done, has raged all week.

As all debates seem to these days, it boiled down to two binary positions and you have to pick one of them.

Either the players are heroic figures, or the worst people on earth.

For a group so large it’s hard to sum them all up so comprehensively. Some players are probably facing more challenges with their families than others.

They may have ill children, or parents, they may have a partner with significant mental health issues. The list is endless of why some players might have very good reasons to not want to go into hubs.

Some of these players will have made an enormous sacrifice to go into hubs.

Others may have no issues going into a hub. Being stuck on the Gold Coast instead of locked down in Melbourne is a great outcome for them, not a hardship.

Some will just need the money and will do anything to keep the season going.

I’m also sure there’s some who don’t want to do hubs because it’s a hassle and they’ve got enough money to ride out the next six months even if the season fell over, with little regard to what happens to other players and the rest of the industry if the season stopped.

AFL players aren’t perfect and I’m the first to point out a lot of their flaws, but there’s a lot who are good people, you just tend to never read about them much.

This whole year is tough on all of us. I’m happy some people get to continue working. Every effort should be made to keep jobs going within health guidelines.

As someone whose had ninety percent of their income for this year wiped out and has no idea when any of it will come back, I’ve got a lot of time for efforts to keep people employed, but I also get not everyone can go along with hubs.

A one size fits all approach won’t work. We’re all just trying to get through each day at the moment, anything above that is like scoring in junktime. Nice, not essential.

Richmond to win.

Carlton v Western Bulldogs (Metricon) 6:45pm Foxtel

Carlton have been average this year, a significant improvement for them and reason enough that Blues fans have got quite excited at points.

Last week certainly took a bit of the gloss off, but there’s enough improvement there to concern me.

This is the thing; we’ve learnt you can’t get complacent with these things.

You can’t go around just pretending Carlton will never be good again because you want them to never be good again.

A lot of young people (some actual quite old now), act like Carlton winning premierships can’t happen to them. But it can, I’ve lived through it.

Blues supporters during a premiership era make Hawthorn fans seem humble.

The Blues are slowly coming back and we have to be clear with each other, that this is not over. And pretending that it is because we all wanted to be over, is not the answer.

Someone has to make the tough decision. When the borders reopen, do we let Carlton back?

Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge talked some sense this week, the first senior person in AFL to do so this year.

He said the AFL “flinched” in cracking down on the holding-the-ball rule after Alastair Clarkson’s complaints.

At the moment, the AFL seems to be being run off the field by Eddie McGuire, who announces all the updates before the AFL do and Clarko on the field.

This is not a situation that is filling me with a great deal of confidence.

I thought the whole thing about the success of the AFL was it’s an independent commission that isn’t led from clubland, to avoid things like happen in the NRL, were powerful clubs push their agendas over the code’s best interests?

I’m tipping the Bulldogs.

• Like 1

I know we've got shorter quarters, but I cannot remember a season when so many teams have only kicked 2-goals to half time.

Hawks have kicked 2 goals and we're nearly at 3 quarter time.

Nah, the games fine.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Will27 said:

:I know we've got shorter quarters, but I cannot remember a season when so many teams have only kicked 2-goals to half time.

Hawks have kicked 2 goals and we're nearly at 3 quarter time.

Nah, the games fine.

Try ....the quality of players is down over all......really notice it in fantasy.....lot are up and down by as much as 40% average players are tracking 15% all over the place...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

Try ....the quality of players is down over all......really notice it in fantasy.....lot are up and down by as much as 40% average players are tracking 15% all over the place...

I know the limited training hasn't helped, but crikey some of these games have been terrible.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BookmanBkk said:

Hawks players have given up under Clarko... they don't believe in his vision any more.

He has taken all the fun and enjoyment for his players out of the game and made into a robotic number crunching episode.

Looking like the rebuild philosophy isnt working as well as they expected. I know @AlexRRR was a supporter of hawks trading but it doesn't look so good

In his Presser he has a teary bitter whine about having to pack up and move out of Victoria with only 2 days notice and play GWS! Jeez, don't they travel every 2nd or 3rd week during their regular season anyway? ????

sadly i picked hawthorn last night and go 0 for 2 this week ????

I don't know if Clarko has lost the players.

They're are 3 - 3 but seem middle of the road again.

They haven't got enough polish IMO.

If O'Meara has a quiet one like last night, they struggle.

Tommy Mitchell is an accumulator. I reckon he set up at

least 3 of his team mates last night with hospital handballs.

Worpel is a scrubber.

They have no quality key forward either.

Pattons is always injured and Tim O'briend doesn't do enough.

Wonder if they will hit the draft for youth.

• Like 2

Yep, thanks to the players for doing their jobs and getting paid handsomely to slum it in 5 star resorts.
BTW, I must've missed his tweet when the WA and SA clubs had to do it first.

Friday Night Footy 1.2 million of us wait enthral To all the players keeping this season afloat in such abnormal circumstances thanks for what you're doing.
We see you Go well #lovethegame

Edited by Will27
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

I don't know if Clarko has lost the players.

They're are 3 - 3 but seem middle of the road again.

They haven't got enough polish IMO.

If O'Meara has a quiet one like last night, they struggle.

Tommy Mitchell is an accumulator. I reckon he set up at

least 3 of his team mates last night with hospital handballs.

Worpel is a scrubber.

They have no quality key forward either.

Pattons is always injured and Tim O'briend doesn't do enough.

Wonder if they will hit the draft for youth.

As a long time cheerleader for Clarko KhunWill, do you think he still has the coaching marbles to get the Hawks back on top, or is it a younger coaches gane these days?

3 minutes ago, BookmanBkk said:

As a long time cheerleader for Clarko KhunWill, do you think he still has the coaching marbles to get the Hawks back on top, or is it a younger coaches gane these days?

Not really a cheerleader for Clarko but reckon he's a gun coach.

Think they will have to trade and draft some youth for a change.

Not sure age has much to do with it TBH.

You can either coach or you can't I reckon.

Ask Uncle Alex if he'd prefer Ross Lyon or Goody.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Sam Mitchell.

A lot are saying he will be the next senior coach.

Will he wait for Clarko to go at the end of 2022 or will he go

elsewhere for a senior job?