Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

Players usually end up where they want.

Freo have Zac Clarke and Johnathon Griffin as possible trades.

After Jetta's last 3 finals, I'd be preapred to offer a carton of Corona's and a box of Cheezelstongue.png

Yeah they do...but ... is it usually to the benefit of the club trading them?

He has had a patchy season...he really stunk in the finals

I do think a different coach and game plan for him might yield different results.... he would be suited to West Coasts current style of play

• Like 1

So with Dangerfield notifying Adelaide that he wants to move home, Lewis Jetta has just advised the Swans...

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2015-09-23/club-statement-lewis-jetta

well...we all knew it..

I thought Jetta was a restricted free agent....but he is not..

This is an example where, he has been offered a contract and doesn't want it....so if Sydney cannot get a good trade..should jetta be allowed to go where he wants? Will West Coast / Freo be offering the same $$$?

To be frank...i don't want to keep him after this year...very poor effort form him and Longmire and staff don't seem to use him in the best manner anyway.

Pointless from both sides.

Speaking of odd happenings at Sydney...

Craig Bird....137 games, 26 years old. Was a lock in the side,..until round 5...then went the same way as Ryan o' Keefe....out of favour...

Birdy would be a wanted commodity at nearly any other club I would reckon

Sydney would have lost:

Goodes

jetta

Shaw

Bird

about 850 games experience there....

If he doesn't get his way, the only option for him is to nominate for the draft and hope that nobody picks him up but having watched the way he played after it became rumour that he wanted to head back west would you really take the gamble? If I was GWS or the Suns I'd probably would, would be a good replacement for Harley Bennell or McCarthy (if he gets his way as well)

3 way trade involving Brisbane? Sydney gets Leuenburger, Freo gets Jetta (because Sydney trades Jetta to Brisbane) and Brisbane get 2 extra first round picks (because they on-trade Jetta to Freo for a first round pick) plus a possible compo pick from the AFL?

I think Sydney could also get a first round compo pick as well for Jetta. Given he too was a first round pick in '09 (14) and is a premiership player, though Emperor McGuire and Lord Fitzpatrick might not be too pleased for this to occur.

As for Birdy, I think next season he'll be back in the top side, though frankly he makes for good trade bait.

And this just in.. Worsfold is the new Roosey...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-23/worsfold-confirms-hes-a-dons-candidate

• Like 2

So with Dangerfield notifying Adelaide that he wants to move home, Lewis Jetta has just advised the Swans...

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2015-09-23/club-statement-lewis-jetta

well...we all knew it..

I thought Jetta was a restricted free agent....but he is not..

This is an example where, he has been offered a contract and doesn't want it....so if Sydney cannot get a good trade..should jetta be allowed to go where he wants? Will West Coast / Freo be offering the same $$$?

To be frank...i don't want to keep him after this year...very poor effort form him and Longmire and staff don't seem to use him in the best manner anyway.

Pointless from both sides.

Speaking of odd happenings at Sydney...

Craig Bird....137 games, 26 years old. Was a lock in the side,..until round 5...then went the same way as Ryan o' Keefe....out of favour...

Birdy would be a wanted commodity at nearly any other club I would reckon

Sydney would have lost:

Goodes

jetta

Shaw

Bird

about 850 games experience there....

Players usually end up where they want.

Freo have Zac Clarke and Johnathon Griffin as possible trades.

After Jetta's last 3 finals, I'd be preapred to offer a carton of Corona's and a box of Cheezelstongue.png

Better off trading him back to Brookton/Pingelly for one of their current crop of players.

Just reading $170 for a good seat at the footy this weekend.

Is that reasonable these days.?

Given that earlier in the year $99 a ticket would get you something shitty at Adelaide Oval (fortunately I didn't have to cough up the dough for that one!) - I'm not surprised $170 gets you a good seat in the finals.

Pretty outrageous stuff these days.

AFL 2015 finals: Ticketmaster selling Freo finals tickets for more than $700

Ticketmaster is reselling tickets for Fremantle's preliminary final against Hawthorn on Friday night for more than $700.

The agency has a service called Ticketmaster Resale, which creates a "marketplace" for people to buy and sell tickets, meaning members who have already bought tickets can resell them online - for a price they can set themselves.

Ticketmaster Resale had four tickets for sale in the first level of the three-tier stand at Domain Stadium for $702.78 each just after 10am on Wednesday morning.

Ironically, you can snaffle two tickets from Ticketmaster in the nose-bleed section of the three-tier stand for $83.05 each.

And if you want to sit in the forward pocket at the Subiaco end for West Coast's preliminary final against Hawthorn on Saturday night, it will cost you a cool $575 each through their "marketplace" resale.

Elsewhere, Eagles tickets were going for as much as $250 and Dockers tickets up to $225 on website Gumtree.

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/fremantle-dockers/afl-2015-finals-ticketmaster-selling-freo-finals-tickets--for-more-than-700-20150923-gjt1mv.html#ixzz3mYlsL3xB

• Like 1

Given that earlier in the year $99 a ticket would get you something shitty at Adelaide Oval (fortunately I didn't have to cough up the dough for that one!) - I'm not surprised $170 gets you a good seat in the finals.

Ticketmaster is reselling tickets for Fremantle's preliminary final against Hawthorn on Friday night for more than $700.

The agency has a service called Ticketmaster Resale, which creates a "marketplace" for people to buy and sell tickets, meaning members who have already bought tickets can resell them online - for a price they can set themselves.

Ticketmaster Resale had four tickets for sale in the first level of the three-tier stand at Domain Stadium for $702.78 each just after 10am on Wednesday morning.

Ironically, you can snaffle two tickets from Ticketmaster in the nose-bleed section of the three-tier stand for $83.05 each.

And if you want to sit in the forward pocket at the Subiaco end for West Coast's preliminary final against Hawthorn on Saturday night, it will cost you a cool $575 each through their "marketplace" resale.

Elsewhere, Eagles tickets were going for as much as $250 and Dockers tickets up to $225 on website Gumtree.

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/fremantle-dockers/afl-2015-finals-ticketmaster-selling-freo-finals-tickets--for-more-than-700-20150923-gjt1mv.html#ixzz3mYlsL3xB

Got a mate who's a Hawks supporter from Vic over in Perth doing a course and wanted a ticket.

My sister is an Eagles member and put me onto Gumtree for him,he picked up a ticket there but hasn't said how much.

And this just in.. Worsfold is the new Roosey...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-23/worsfold-confirms-hes-a-dons-candidate

What do the West coast boys think about this?

Good idea for the bombers? or not?

I know one thing about Woosha, he'd bring stability to the club.

Word on the Soi is that he will take Bluey McKenna with him as an assistant.

I still reckon he would be better suited to a director of coaching/mentor type of position.

Interesting that he prefers Essendon over the Crows. I think he just didn't want to live in Adelaide.

• Like 2

Is it to early to put Jetta in an Eagles jumper this weekend.tongue.png

Only if you play Majak Dawwhistling.gif

Jetta has turned into a real liability the last few weeks... Still, he might stop sulking once he gets to WA.

What trade is likely to happen? Lycett? Sinclair?

Like a lot of clubs, some supporters are keen to get Bennell to Sydney....which aint gonna happen.

• Like 2

The Eagles have a well disciplined and cohesive team.

I hope they don’t take the punt on a “fair weather” player.

Let Jetta take up retirement at Freo.

Sure he's a downhill skier, but would easily be in the top 10 at WC.

I'd take him in a heartbeat (for the right price).

Is it to early to put Jetta in an Eagles jumper this weekend.tongue.png

Only if you play Majak Dawwhistling.gif

Jetta has turned into a real liability the last few weeks... Still, he might stop sulking once he gets to WA.

What trade is likely to happen? Lycett? Sinclair?

Like a lot of clubs, some supporters are keen to get Bennell to Sydney....which aint gonna happen.

I'd trade Lycett but not Sinclair.

Mitch Brown would've been a good trade but not coming off a knee.

Would you take our first draft pick?

A lot of scribes are saying Sydney's strong culture could turn Bennell around.

What do you think?

No swan song, it’s time for John Longmire to go

The Sydney Swans should seriously consider taking bold and explosive action, and remove John Longmire as senior coach.

Sydney haven’t missed the finals in the five years Longmire has been at the helm, even winning a premiership in that time. They memorably took out the 2012 flag off the back of slingshot footy, absorbing high opposition inside 50s, before rebounding with pace and precision. Since then, the Swans have been apparent contenders, but in 2013 and 2015 it was in name only.

They stumbled into the finals in the former before being thumped by Hawthorn and Fremantle, and this year they departed in straight sets. Despite three consecutive top-four finishes, there is no sense of excitement or hope for the immediate future among supporters. Their best under Longmire over the last three seasons has been pretty good, but not good enough to get the job done at the pointy end.

Including finals, Longmire’s men played 10 games against this year’s top eight, and finished up with a 3-7 win-loss record. Two of those wins were against the sides that finished seventh and eighth on the ladder.hey only lost one game to a team outside the top eight, but only recorded one win against the top six sides on the ladder after 22 rounds.

Longmire can fashion a gameplan that is generally not in danger of losing to bottom and mid-tier teams, although it’s arguable that if the Sydney list just trained skills and fitness on their own, the talent available would be enough to win those games anyway.Taking care of business with a minimum of fuss against middling teams and cannon fodder is an admirable trait, but he now needs to prove that he can get his team not just competing against, but beating, the top tier again. Is it within him?

Ross Lyon put five successful years into St Kilda before moving onto Fremantle. Sometimes that’s the shelf-life a coach has with a particular group of players. Not everyone can be Alastair Clarkson or Kevin Sheedy, and reinvent themselves over a long period of time. Of course, in the real world, the Swans aren’t going to get rid of Longmire, and the man himself isn’t going to move on. No club would move on a coach after four consecutive top-four finishes, including a flag.Geelong certainly wouldn’t have done so to Mark Thompson after 2010, yet look what happened to that group with a change at the top, and a rookie coach with fresh ideas – another premiership.

New coaches generally only take over when a club is on the way down, or is close to bottoming out. It’s a tried-and-true formula that is accepted within the footballing zeitgeist. It’s comfortable. It’s predictable. It’s safe.But look at what Luke Beveridge has produced at the Dogs this season. Adam Simpson has taken West Coast to at least a preliminary final, and probably more, in only his second year. Ken Hinkley immediately drove Port up the ladder in breathtaking fashion.

If rookie coaches of this ilk can get sides from 14th to 6th, 13th to 2nd, and 14th to 5th, why wouldn’t a fresh set of eyes and ideas be able to get Sydney from fourth to first again, just like Chris Scott did at the Cats?Of course, the reason clubs don’t do it is obvious – imagine the fall-out if that top four team plummeted out of the finals following the change. Why fix what wasn’t broken, would be the haunting theme of the season.

But here’s the thing – Sydney are broken. This is a side that has performed below expectation for three seasons in a row, regardless of how high they’ve actually finished. We’re not judging them against the likes of Melbourne, St Kilda or Collingwood here.The bar is set considerably higher when two-thirds of your premiership team is still on the list, high profile and expensive recruits like Buddy Franklin and Kurt Tippett have been added and young guns like Isaac Heeney and Tom Mitchell have come in at a high standard.

The Swans have the best forward in the league in Franklin, the best combo second ruck/second tall forward in the league in Tippett, and the best clearance player in the league in Josh Kennedy.

Dan Hannebery may well have a Brownlow to his name this time next week and could already have been a Norm Smith medallist. Luke Parker is the most courageous player in the competition according to his peers, and one of the most dangerous as a goal-kicking mid to boot.Throw in All-Australians Jarrad McVeigh and Kieren Jack on top of all the names already mentioned, plus others besides, and you have a team that has enough weapons through the midfield and forward of centre to trouble any side.

Sydney’s team defence was still strong in the main through this season, but the back six, a meat-and-potatoes batch of players that Longmire has crafted together, was able to be exposed at key times.There were five stand-out defences in the AFL home-and-away season, with Fremantle, Hawthorn, West Coast, Richmond and Sydney all conceding around 70 points per game.

The Swans’ backline, despite the numbers, was ageing and vulnerable, particularly against better teams that could move the ball quickly; these opportunities arose whenever the Sydney midfield dropped off their pressure and contested ball-winning ability, an all too frequent occurrence given their experience and talent.Rhys Shaw has moved on, Ted Richards has only one season left, Heath Grundy is secure in his contract but far from it when the ball is in his hands, Dane Rampe has the unhappy knack of calamitous turnovers at just the wrong time, while Nick Smith will do his role in the anonymous way of back pockets everywhere, and Jeremy Laidler is a neat but non-threatening footballer.

It’s a group of players that needs a major overhaul. In recent seasons we’ve seen McVeigh and Lewis Jetta help out back there. The departure of Nick Malceski, who was 30 anyway, left a hole that wasn’t adequately replaced.Apart from a change of coach, the Swans are also in need of a quality ruckman, which the trade grapevine suggests they’ll land, a dangerous small forward, and a player of speed and class to replace the underwhelming Lewis Jetta.

Sydney’s time is still now, and should continue to be as long as Buddy can overcome his personal issues and maintain the playing standards that has seen him rated in the top handful of players in the game for the best part of a decade.In order to maximise the premiership opportunities for the Swans, the playing group needs to be reinvigorated and re-energised, and a change of coach could be just the tonic. Sometimes the best decisions are the boldest. They’re always hard to find, and often even harder to make.

The full potential of this side is waiting to be unlocked and maximised. It’s time to make a change.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/09/22/no-swan-song-its-time-for-john-longmire-to-go/

Edited by BookMan

Would you take our first draft pick?

A lot of scribes are saying Sydney's strong culture could turn Bennell around.

What do you think?

Sydney need a decent ruckman... I reckon any trade we do, for draft picks or 3-ways or direct will involve a ruck. Leuenberger at Brissie seems to be most likely...I guess maybe Lycett after that.

Bennell has been linked strongly to Freo.

I'm not sure he would do well in Sydney. By all accounts he has had issues with discipline since a young age, and it is possible he could disrupt Sydney culture. of course, it is just as possible he could do a rhyce Shaw and fit right in

Still, his pace and goal scoring ability is just what the Sydney Doctor has ordered

I don't think Sydney could afford him in a trade. We cant trade about 450k..

• Like 1

What do you Sydneys boys think?

Any merit?

Yeah, I think so. he is reluctant to make any major changes and a number of players have not been used to their best ability. It is a tough call, but a new head coach should bring a few tweaks that we need.

The semi final was an example. No Tippet starting up front. The change of rampe and Rohan was a good one in the second half, but could have been made a quarter earlier. Same with Jetta. Should have been subbed in the 2nd quarter.

The Rampe and Rohan change took me completely by surprise, because it is so un-Longmire like.

I'm not basing the call on the finals, as Sydney were missing some of its top players, but throughout the year it has been the same. It would be beneficial for Longmires coaching carer and the swans.

It isn't going to happen of course.

• Like 1

Speaking of Woosh, a fairly ordinary article by Robert Walls I reckon.

Robert Walls questions the chase for John Worsfold – 'an ordinary coach'

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/robert-walls-questions-the-chase-for-john-worsfold--an-ordinary-coach-20150920-gjqnp7.html#ixzz3mc76QKIN

It is a negative article, but it does make some valid points on a variety of coaches.

I don't think it matters too much who Essendon chooses. Their issues have all stemmed from the supplements injections. 5 year contract is way too many years for any coach, IMO.

Mentions Buckley and Hardwick's coaching contracts are up next year too. Surely Buckley has to have a 'better year'. He has had enough attempts at it.

• Like 1

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/robert-walls-questions-the-chase-for-john-worsfold--an-ordinary-coach-20150920-gjqnp7.html#ixzz3mc76QKIN

It is a negative article, but it does make some valid points on a variety of coaches.

I don't think it matters too much who Essendon chooses. Their issues have all stemmed from the supplements injections. 5 year contract is way too many years for any coach, IMO.

Mentions Buckley and Hardwick's coaching contracts are up next year too. Surely Buckley has to have a 'better year'. He has had enough attempts at it.

It does make some valid points but some invalid ones as well.

I agree, 5 years locks the club in for far too long.

I reckon coaches under the pump next year will be Hardwick (needs to win a final), Buckley (needs to make finals),

Cameron (need to improve after a good year), Eade (GC will need to show something) and Leppitch at Brisbane.

• Like 1

Legalised scalping.....

Walls should know about being an ordinary coach he was an ordinary school teacher before becoming an ordinary coach says a pretty teacher i know, ho now he has become an ordinary sports journalist, was an ordinary player made better by smacking centre half backs in the back of the head when going for marks in the days of one central umpire ho what an ordinary life for a dry string bean of a man.

Yes I read that article too Robert Walls does not rate with me the man has sold his soul to gutter journalism as a few others have toooooo....

Edited by AlexRRR
  • Like 2

Buckley is the love child of Eddie I'd be surprised if there were any changes there despite an other underperforming season, I recon Malthouse was just lucky winning a flag at Collingwood the team he built was like Robert Walls, ordinary that rose to an occasion Eddie and co know it.

Hardwick....Richmond....the days of the night of the long knives are over a contract on his desk by round 15 or a silver bullet by round 18.

• Like 1

It does make some valid points but some invalid ones as well.

You know Worsfold better than me. What are the invalid points?

I guess invalid was a wrong choice of words.

I don't think Woosha was a great coach, but he was far better than ordinary.

He took over a side in 2002 which finished 14th out of 16 in 2001. Took them to the finals in his first year.

Only missed the finals in 4 years during his tenure, but in hindsight probably went on 2 years to long.

As far as the midfield group, they really only played in their prime between 2004 and 2007.

During that time his win loss rate was nearly 70% which included 2 GF's and a flag.

The foward line for WC was ordinary at best, headed by Ashley Hansen and Quinten Lynch.

It wasn't a great list to be honest.

Also under Worsfold, our recruiting was the best it's been for a long time with Nic Nat, Shuey,

Sheppard, Darling, Yeo and Gaff being recruited under his watch.

Was a bee's dick away from winning two premierships and it couldv'e been none.

Two premierships wouldn't have made him great and none wouldn't have made him ordinary.

IMO, was a great leader of men. Not a great coach, but far from "ordinary" either.

I reckon if you asked the majority of supporters would they take going from 3rd last to

2 GF's and a premiership in 13 years, they'd take it.

There were some terrific contests between Sydney and Wets Coast through that time period.

Rumour has it, that during the off season, the AFL will be investigating the 2006 GF win by West coast and whether the players were affected by drugs.

Could be re -awarded to Sydney.

Just a rumour.... at this stage

• Like 1