Start Date of Visa.

I received a Multi Entry Non O Immigrant Visa from London based on myself being in receipt of my UK State Pension, I know that it only allows you too stay in Thailand for 90 Days on any one trip.

Will the 1 year start from date I received the Visa or the date I enter Thailand ?

Edited by Jumbo1968

The visa is valid for one year from the date it was issued (shown as the valid until date on the visa sticker). 

You can use it to get a new 90 entry up to the valid until date. It is possible to get almost 15 months of total stay from by doing an entry just before that day.

• Like 1

If you look at the visa sticker, there are two dates. One is the date of issue. This is the earliest the visa can be used. The other is the visa expiry date, the last date on which it can be used to enter Thailand to get a 90-day permission to stay. You will get the 90 days even if you enter on the last date the visa is valid.

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The visa is valid for one year from the date it was issued (shown as the valid until date on the visa sticker). 

You can use it to get a new 90 entry up to the valid until date. It is possible to get almost 15 months of total stay from by doing an entry just before that day.

4 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If you look at the visa sticker, there are two dates. One is the date of issue. This is the earliest the visa can be used. The other is the visa expiry date, the last date on which it can be used to enter Thailand to get a 90-day permission to stay. You will get the 90 days even if you enter on the last date the visa is valid.

I am a bit slow, so if I enter Thailand a few days before the expiry date I will get another 90 Days with out going to Immigration etc ?

The period of visa validity is different from the period of stay.  Visa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand.  In general, the validity of a visa is 3 months, but in some cases, visas may be issued to be valid for 6 months, 1 year or 3 years.  The validity of a visa is granted with discretion by the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General and is displayed on the visa sticker. 

On the other hand, the period of stay is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry and in accordance with the type of visa.  For example, the period of stay for a transit visa is not exceeding 30 days, for a tourist visa is not exceeding 60 days and for a non-immigrant visa is not exceeding 90 days from the arrival date.  The period of stay granted by the immigration officer is displayed on the arrival stamp.  

Just now, Jumbo1968 said:

I am a bit slow, so if I enter Thailand a few days before the expiry date I will get another 90 Days with out going to Immigration etc ?

Yes you can. No need for a trip to immigration for anything.

1 minute ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Yes.

You can enter any time up until the Visa expiry date and get 90 days permission of stay.

4 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Yes.

You can enter any time up until the Visa expiry date and get 90 days permission of stay.

When I got a 90 Day Single Entry from Hull the start date was when I entered Thailand not the date it was issued ?

i copied and pasted this from the Thai Embassy Website, it says you can only stay 1 year from the date of entry, no mention of an extra 90 days, the visa expires 1 year after you enter Thailand ?

Multiple Entry Non-Immigrant Visa will be valid for 1 year from the date of issue. Travellers must enter Thailand within the validity of visa.  However, the permitted length of stay is up to 1 year from the date of arrival in Thailand.

Edited by Jumbo1968
E

1 hour ago, Jumbo1968 said:

When I got a 90 Day Single Entry from Hull the start date was when I entered Thailand not the date it was issued ?

A single entry Non O must be used before the expiry date of the visa (which is 90 days from the date of issue). A completely separate issue is the 90-day permission to stay you receive on entry,  This, indeed, starts on the day you enter Thailand. This is true regardless of where you received your visa (nothing special about a visa from Hull).

1 hour ago, Jumbo1968 said:

i copied and pasted this from the Thai Embassy Website, it says you can only stay 1 year from the date of entry, no mention of an extra 90 days, the visa expires 1 year after you enter Thailand ?

Multiple Entry Non-Immigrant Visa will be valid for 1 year from the date of issue. Travellers must enter Thailand within the validity of visa.  However, the permitted length of stay is up to 1 year from the date of arrival in Thailand.

This is a typically garbled explanation from an embassy website. The closest visa it is to describing is a Multiple Enter Non-Immigrant O-A (long stay) visa where you receive a one year stay each time you enter during the validity of the visa (and can, in fact, get almost a full extra year by entering Thailand just before expiry of the visa).

Just understand that the permission to stay granted on entry is not linked in any way to the issue date or expiry date of the visa you receive from the consulate. If you enter during the validity period of the visa, you will always receive a 60-day, 90-day or one-year permission to stay (depending on the type of visa).

Just now, BritTim said:

A single entry Non O must be used before the expiry date of the visa (which is 90 days from the date of issue). A completely separate issue is the 90-day permission to stay you receive on entry,  This, indeed, starts on the day you enter Thailand. This is true regardless of where you received your visa (nothing special about a visa from Hull).

This is a typically garbled explanation from an embassy website. The closest visa it is to describing is a Multiple Enter Non-Immigrant O-A (long stay) visa where you receive a one year stay each time you enter during the validity of the visa (and can, in fact, get almost a full extra year by entering Thailand just before expiry of the visa).

Just understand that the permission to stay granted on entry is not linked in any way to the issue date or expiry date of the visa you receive from the consulate. If you enter during the validity period of the visa, you will always receive a 60-day, 90-day or one-year permission to stay (depending on the type of visa).

Thanks, they don’t appear to be able explain many things, it’s on their website now about the new e visa application starting from May.

It states you apply online then you collect the Visa in London, I couldn’t see the Embassy coping with hundreds turning up every week for a Visa. I assume and they haven’t clarified it that you can still apply online and they will post it out too you ?

Its ok where they have local regional Consulates like Hull for short term Visas but having too travel too London seems a bit much ?

11 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Read post *5 above.

The validity of the Visa is different from the validity of permission of stay.

The validity of the Visa is displayed on the vignette, and is valid from the 'Date of Issue' until the 'Enter Before' date.

The 90 day permission of stay is stamped in your passport on entry by an Immigration officer.

Your new Non Imm O ME Visa is valid 1 year.

Your permission of stay on each entry is only 90 days.

You cannot extend your permission of stay beyond 90 days (retirement). You must do a border run every 90 days to obtain another 90 days on re-entry.

If you exit and re-enter on the last day of the validity of your Visa (enter before date) you will be given permission to stay a further 90 days, totalling 15 months stay.

16 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Yes.

eg. My non O expires in 4 or 5 days but I flew back in from UK just over a week ago and got 90 days ie up near end of June.

Edited by overherebc

On 4/13/2019 at 3:47 AM, Tanoshi said:

Read post *5 above.

The validity of the Visa is different from the validity of permission of stay.

The validity of the Visa is displayed on the vignette, and is valid from the 'Date of Issue' until the 'Enter Before' date.

The 90 day permission of stay is stamped in your passport on entry by an Immigration officer.

Your new Non Imm O ME Visa is valid 1 year.

Your permission of stay on each entry is only 90 days.

You cannot extend your permission of stay beyond 90 days (retirement). You must do a border run every 90 days to obtain another 90 days on re-entry.

If you exit and re-enter on the last day of the validity of your Visa (enter before date) you will be given permission to stay a further 90 days, totalling 15 months stay.

Is there a limit to how many Border runs you can do ?

On 4/12/2019 at 4:29 AM, Jumbo1968 said:

I received a Multi Entry Non O Immigrant Visa from London based on myself being in receipt of my UK State Pension, I know that it only allows you too stay in Thailand for 90 Days on any one trip.

Will the 1 year start from date I received the Visa or the date I enter Thailand ?

The one year for the visa will start on the date it is stamped in your visa which is not important and you can conveniently forget it. The date to remember is the valid until date. You must enter Thailand on or before that date. 

When you enter Thailand, the IO will put a square stamp on your passport and a date like Admitted Until date. You must leave on or before that date to avoid overstay. 

Remember two dates. Valid Until Date on visa sticker and Admitted Until date on the stamp on a visa page.

On 4/12/2019 at 11:46 PM, Jumbo1968 said:

Thanks, they don’t appear to be able explain many things, it’s on their website now about the new e visa application starting from May.

It states you apply online then you collect the Visa in London, I couldn’t see the Embassy coping with hundreds turning up every week for a Visa. I assume and they haven’t clarified it that you can still apply online and they will post it out too you ?

Its ok where they have local regional Consulates like Hull for short term Visas but having too travel too London seems a bit much ?

Watching the video again it's worse than that;-

1. Create account
  2. Login to see if eligible for type of visa.
  3. Put in all your details including travel details.
  4. Pay the fee.
  5. Then they send an appointment for you to go to the Embassy with your passport. 
  6. Then they say they will e-mail you if/when they decide the Result.
  7. Then you have to visit the "mission" again to collect the Visa!

Have not seen any further info yet...

e.g. will the non-O ME still be available, based on state pension? 

Two visits to the Embassy? Suppose I would not be worried about it if we stayed in London SW7, but we don't. Let's hope the London Embassy's superb postal service will still exist to some extent. 

2 minutes ago, johnwf1963 said:

Watching the video again it's worse than that;-

1. Create account
  2. Login to see if eligible for type of visa.
  3. Put in all your details including travel details.
  4. Pay the fee.
  5. Then they send an appointment for you to go to the Embassy with your passport. 
  6. Then they say they will e-mail you if/when they decide the Result.
  7. Then you have to visit the "mission" again to collect the Visa!

Have not seen any further info yet...

e.g. will the non-O ME still be available, based on state pension? 

Two visits to the Embassy? Suppose I would not be worried about it if we stayed in London SW7, but we don't. Let's hope the London Embassy's superb postal service will still exist to some extent. 

I sent all my details on a Wednesday and my Passport was sent back to me on the Saturday.

i can’t understand what they are trying too achieve by going electronic other than discouraging people from applying for Visas.

On 4/12/2019 at 3:01 AM, ubonjoe said:

Did this used to be different? I could have sworn these non imm o visas used to activate upon first entry, but maybe i remember that wrong. 

Further to #18...

Does page 21 of the user manual hint at the possibility of postal service continuing? Is that what the second, obscured, radio button option is for?   https://thaievisa.go.th/Files/UserManual_EN.pdf

In conjunction with Posting the required docs, information and payment electronically. 

22 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

It is not available in USA I wonder why it will be available in the UK? 

It has been available for some time in the UK [#18](non-O ME based on state pension entitlement), lets hope it shall continue, as 1 year, with total in Thailand <180 days works for Dad, where as an METV would not. 

2 hours ago, johnwf1963 said:

Further to #18...

Does page 21 of the user manual hint at the possibility of postal service continuing? Is that what the second, obscured, radio button option is for?   https://thaievisa.go.th/Files/UserManual_EN.pdf

In conjunction with Posting the required docs, information and payment electronically. 

From reading the user manual it appears that after completing the online Visa application, printing off and signing the declaration, you then submit supporting documents electronically.

You can then select to attend in person for the Visa vignette, (make an appointment), or by postal application.

As you make selections, I'm guessing it will open other windows not currently displayed in the User Manual, with further instructions. It also suggests you can select the 'mission' to obtain the Visa.

So TV's for example could be obtained from your local Consulate, whilst other types of Visas will only be issued by London.

The 'Let's wait and see' slogan, inspires confidence in the system.

They are copying the Chinese method, but they have application centres throughout the UK. (CVACS).