Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

16 minutes ago, Nemises said:

And a “higher power” is also BS.

The only higher power is one’s conscience.

LOL. One's conscience derives from a higher power, or did you think that life just happened from nothing?

NB, one does not have to call the higher power "God". One can call it anything, but everything originated somewhere, and not within our imagination.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Date Masamune said:

I’m not familiar with the Holy Koran but the 5 pillars of Islam are completely innocuous and especially the first, Shahaddah, is enough to protect your soul from spiritual destruction in an entrapment by the God of the Israelites and his deadly light.

In your dreams. Islam is worse than Christianity and full of hypocrisy. A work of fiction written by a man who seeing that he was surrounded by ignorant and gullible fools decided to invent a religion to serve his own selfish plans.

To do this he observed their superstitions and used them in his invented religion, just making a few minor changes that he stole from the Christian and Jewish beliefs. A composite religion to suit the nature of his local followers.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Denim said:

In your dreams. Islam is worse than Christianity and full of hypocrisy. A work of fiction written by a man who seeing that he was surrounded by ignorant and gullible fools decided to invent a religion to serve his own selfish plans.

To do this he observed their superstitions and used them in his invented religion, just making a few minor changes that he stole from the Christian and Jewish beliefs. A composite religion to suit the nature of his local followers.

From my understanding he initially chose Jerusalem as the point to pray towards, but when the Jews killed some Muslims he changed it to Mecca. Apparently the god that spoke to him could change his/her/it's mind, just like a human being.

• Like 1

I would not worry about the Mohammedans. PBUH, a minor god of the East, of seafarers, and the desert tribes. See HIM manifest by dust devils and Djinn. The Islamic nations suffer unrest, 1.8 Billion or more ripe to the succor of DAGON!

27 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

From my understanding he initially chose Jerusalem as the point to pray towards, but when the Jews killed some Muslims he changed it to Mecca. Apparently the god that spoke to him could change his/her/it's mind, just like a human being.

Yep. You would think that a real truth should have a certain objective tangibility , not subject to whim or tinkering.

Apparently not , since in an impartial study of the ' big 3 '  we constantly see a jealous and fickle creator , exhorting us to good behaviour then setting a bad example. At least , that is the impression given in books about the creator written by mere mortals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Thinking about it, that may have been a bit unfair to him. I'm no Koranic scholar, but far as I understand it the worst bits of Islam were added by other men afterwards in something called the Haddiths. He could not write and everything was written down by other men.

I believe the actual Koran is no worse than the New Testament.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Denim said:

Yep. You would think that a real truth should have a certain objective tangibility , not subject to whim or tinkering.

Apparently not , since in an impartial study of the ' big 3 '  we constantly see a jealous and fickle creator , exhorting us to good behaviour then setting a bad example. At least , that is the impression given in books about the creator written by mere mortals.

We must always remember that the Word was corrupted by men in funny hats for their own ends- power and wealth.

The Vatican isn't short of a bob or two, despite the desire of the Christ for good people to sell all they have and give to the poor.

• Like 1

Just looked in again ,fascinating,keep going boys one day i reckon i will be able to claim the title of the guy who posted a question and got the most replies,some of which i must admit are fascinating. By the way my nephew who is Thai with a Bhuddist family is a Christian,and our son went to a Christian school,but is Bhuddist.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I'm more inclined to believe simulation theory. The Big Bang? Someone just turning on the power and elements rushing into place to be rendered graphically. Seemingly arbitrary laws of physics? Boundaries set by code. One day we will be able to simulate a world indistinguishable from reality, we're getting closer and closer all the time, who knows what we'll be capable of in 200 years or more? If it can be done, what are the odds that we're the first to do it? We could be inside a simulation of a simulation of a simulation.

I don't truly believe this but it can neatly explain away most of the questions about life and the universe far better than any religion could, in my mind at least.

1 hour ago, Greyhat said:

I'm more inclined to believe simulation theory. The Big Bang? Someone just turning on the power and elements rushing into place to be rendered graphically. Seemingly arbitrary laws of physics? Boundaries set by code. One day we will be able to simulate a world indistinguishable from reality, we're getting closer and closer all the time, who knows what we'll be capable of in 200 years or more? If it can be done, what are the odds that we're the first to do it? We could be inside a simulation of a simulation of a simulation.

I don't truly believe this but it can neatly explain away most of the questions about life and the universe far better than any religion could, in my mind at least.

The obvious question to that is- if we are in a simulation of a simulation etc etc etc, at some point the first simulation must have been created by someone or something. So who created that someone or something?

2 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

By the way my nephew who is Thai with a Bhuddist family is a Christian,and our son went to a Christian school,but is Bhuddist.

Only because they were told/forced to be.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The obvious question to that is- if we are in a simulation of a simulation etc etc etc, at some point the first simulation must have been created by someone or something. So who created that someone or something?

Whatever it is I'm sure it's well beyond our comprehension or ability to understand. As humans we like to try to put thing in neat little boxes that suit our ability to understand. Perhaps it's not that simple. Our capacity to comprehend may be comparable of a fish looking out of a bowl. It may not be as simple as "It was either created or happened by accident \_(o_O)_/" I wouldn't dare speculate on the nature of base reality within simulation theory as I'm sure it would be completely alien from anyone in trying to look out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Only because they were told/forced to be.
Not at all my nephew was born Bhuddist but converted years ago,as for our son as i am an athiest i reckon he just followed his mum,but went to school in the UK and when we came back here went to a Christian school but ,up to him.

19 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Previous poster said that certain elements are necessary for life, so where did those elements originate? Know that and you know "God".

All of the elements in our bodies except for hydrogen were forged inside stars.

• Thanks 1

On 5/30/2019 at 8:11 AM, CMNightRider said:

Huh???  What???  You have got to be kidding me.  

The Bible was written over a span of 1500 years, by 40 writers. Unlike other religious writings, the Bible reads as a factual news account of real events, places, people, and dialogue. Historians and archaeologists have repeatedly confirmed its authenticity.

Anyway, thank you for sharing your limited and distorted knowledge regarding the history of the Bible and religion.  

The bible was completed around 400 AD by a group of men who edited texts, added fantasies and political and cultural values. Its fables and fantasies. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Denim said:

Pretty much describes all religions. Cult is another word which comes to mind. 

20 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's self evident, and you won't find any scientific paper on the subject, because it's unprovable.

Previous poster said that certain elements are necessary for life, so where did those elements originate? Know that and you know "God".

Self evident and, or rather but, unprovable. So an unprovable, or rather unfalsifiable, claim. What conditions would have to exist in a Universe in order to allow a person to believe any given product of such logic?

Seems from what you have said that 'don't know' or 'unknown' means god. It serves no purpose to call it god other than to cause confusion. 

Previous poster said that certain elements are necessary for life, so where did those elements originate?

We have no idea. This lack of knowledge has historically resulted in all manner of made up stories because our species is disposed to prefer believing something (anything) over nothing, or not knowing. Look at the infinite regress problem when just stating a god did it and or followed by.... god has always existed. No data, no reason, you just have to take it as being both true and reasonable. 

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

Pretty much describes all religions. Cult is another word which comes to mind. 

The only difference between a religion and a cult is the number of people and the only difference between religion and spirituality is from whence it came. Crazy **** huh!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

Not at all my nephew was born Bhuddist but converted years ago,as for our son as i am an athiest i reckon he just followed his mum,but went to school in the UK and when we came back here went to a Christian school but ,up to him.

How can a baby be born with a religion? He was born and started believing whatever he was told. Why did you not convert him to atheism? 

11 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

The bible was completed around 400 AD by a group of men who edited texts, added fantasies and political and cultural values. Its fables and fantasies. 

The Bible was written over a span of 1500 years, by 40 writers.  Unlike other religious writings, the Bible reads as a factual news account of real events, places, people, and dialogue.  Historians and archaeologists have repeatedly confirmed its authenticity.

Using the writers' own writing styles and personalities, God shows us who he is and what it's like to know him.

There is one central message consistently carried by all 40 writers of the Bible: God, who created us all, desires a relationship with us.  He calls us to know him and trust him.

The Bible not only inspires us, it explains life and God to us.  It does not answer all the questions we might have, but enough of them.  It shows us how to live with purpose and compassion.  How to relate to others. It encourages us to rely on God for strength, direction, and enjoy his love for us.  The Bible also tells us how we can have eternal life.

How can a baby be born with a religion? He was born and started believing whatever he was told. Why did you not convert him to atheism? 
He believes what he wants,Bhuddism is more a way of life than i religion ,anyway he is not like his mum who prays every night and goes to temple,he i think really ,like many Christians etc ,is Bhuddist in name only.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

He believes what he wants,Bhuddism is more a way of life than i religion ,anyway he is not like his mum who prays every night and goes to temple,he i think really ,like many Christians etc ,is Bhuddist in name only.

And I am Rastafarian, but not in name only!   LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CMNightRider said:

The Bible was written over a span of 1500 years, by 40 writers.  Unlike other religious writings, the Bible reads as a factual news account of real events, places, people, and dialogue.  Historians and archaeologists have repeatedly confirmed its authenticity.

Using the writers' own writing styles and personalities, God shows us who he is and what it's like to know him.

There is one central message consistently carried by all 40 writers of the Bible: God, who created us all, desires a relationship with us.  He calls us to know him and trust him.

The Bible not only inspires us, it explains life and God to us.  It does not answer all the questions we might have, but enough of them.  It shows us how to live with purpose and compassion.  How to relate to others. It encourages us to rely on God for strength, direction, and enjoy his love for us.  The Bible also tells us how we can have eternal life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea

The bible is the work of a group of men about 400 years the death of christ. The Council of Nicea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CMNightRider said:

The Bible not only inspires YOU it explains life and God to YOU.  It does not answer all the questions YOU might have, but enough of them.  It shows YOU how to live with purpose and compassion.  How to relate to others. It encourages YOU to rely on God for strength, direction, and enjoy his love for YOU.  The Bible also tells YOU how YOU can have eternal life.

I am not YOU.But I do know how to live with purpose and compassion, and how to relate to others without the need for a 2000 year old book

Edited by wgdanson

3 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

The Bible not only inspires YOU it explains life and God to YOU.  It does not answer all the questions YOU might have, but enough of them.  It shows YOU how to live with purpose and compassion.  How to relate to others. It encourages YOU to rely on God for strength, direction, and enjoy his love for YOU.  The Bible also tells YOU how YOU can have eternal life.

I am not YOU.But I do know how to live with purpose and compassion, and how to relate to others without the need for a 2000 year old book

So does Cat's Cradle a book by Kurt Vonnegut.  Having met both god and Kurt I like Kurt much better and follow Cat's Cradle.  

• Like 1

I saw a human appearing being in CM last week.

He was dressed like a character from a play crossing Rachawittchi Road, in long leather boots,

Carrying a Hardback copy of “Stranger in a Strange Land”. I think he did that on purpose.

Maybe it was a God?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

It amazes me how many Nicea myths exist on the internet today.  It amazes me even more so many people give up their salvation over these myths.  The Bible is the word of God.  It would be much better for you to take time to read the Bible, instead of posting silly comments on Thai Visa.

You should lead by example and practice what you preach! ????

• Like 1