Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

4 hours ago, lipflipper said:

I tried believing in God once upon a time. I introduced myself, asked about getting to know him better and sod-a-dog he didn't have the simple courtesy to answer me. Oh right I'm supposed to take all that fairly tale on blind faith.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Oh right I'm supposed to take all that fairly tale on blind faith.

Yes, that's how it works, but NO ONE is forcing YOU to do anything related to belief in a higher power.

Believe, don't believe. Up to you.

6 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

I just read in the paper that scientists have traced the origin of a radio burst  to a place 3.6 billion light years away God must have been very busy making all these planets ,i wonder did Jesus or Mohamed ever visit them as well ,i mean its not fair that they only came to Earth now is it?

How could Mohammed visit another planet? He was a man that claimed God spoke to him, not an interplanetary traveller.

Yesterday I was riding my motorcycle through the rice fields. We came to a Mango tree and we sat under it eating its fruit. Further on down the road, I saw cows and a farm that produced dragon fruits. I watched bees buzzing around the dragon fruit trees. I said to my wife, how amazing is all of this. Just about everything I see is made for us humans to consume. I felt the grass by my feet and we watched the sun set later. I really cannot believe this is all not designed somehow but the reality points to that is evolution. I wish I did have some faith in something to make me feel better about dying. It all seems just to perfect to me but that is how it is and I will never know the answers to any of this. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, yodsak said:

Correct, he's no longer an atheist because he's dead.

And if he didn't come to his senses and accept jesus christ as his saviour before he died then he went to hell.  

''Certainly no atheists in heaven'', yes, wouldn't make much sense.

If Hawking failed to ask a god for forgiveness where did he go?

''We know there are no atheists in hell''.  1382325593_ScreenShot2019-06-27at08_09_00.png.9c7563a427ee364b46209380e0cfb553.png  

1557121206_ScreenShot2019-06-27at12_12_47.png.57d7b2eb35be575d382b6e1410cb0fe4.png

1240951795_ScreenShot2019-06-27at19_55_20.png.e538f471242dff76a2c69d7ba813fa90.png

680686050_ScreenShot2019-06-27at19_55_36.png.19b3450114575924dab368f11d451148.png

Let's hope Bill comes to his senses before it's too late. And Richard Dawkins

906218660_images(78).jpg.eebfb25bc86d60356db2883721c8990e.jpg

You need to do some research before attempting to use religious dogma against the church.

To go to heaven, according to the new testament, one must repent of one's sins. ie one must mean it, not just mouth the words, and yes, according to religious dogma, if Bundy truly repented he went to heaven, while if Gates does not repent and sell all he has and give it to the poor, he will not.

Gates can give a trillion dollars to good causes but it means nothing in the eyes of God if he is a rich man and does not repent of his sins.

Do you actually believe that the creator of life the universe and everything gives a monkey's about money, when he made everything? The only thing that counts is what is in a wo/man's heart.

Far as I'm concerned, Gates is already condemned for making that awful software, that they will not support after 5 minutes, because he wants another few billion dollars from everyone having to upgrade to yet another horrible version of windows.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

Yesterday I was riding my motorcycle through the rice fields. We came to a Mango tree and we sat under it eating its fruit. Further on down the road, I saw cows and a farm that produced dragon fruits. I watched bees buzzing around the dragon fruit trees. I said to my wife, how amazing is all of this. Just about everything I see is made for us humans to consume. I felt the grass by my feet and we watched the sun set later. I really cannot believe this is all not designed somehow but the reality points to that is evolution. I wish I did have some faith in something to make me feel better about dying. It all seems just to perfect to me but that is how it is and I will never know the answers to any of this. 

There is nothing contradictory about believing that evolution is designed. It's just a celestial program, same as a computer program.

Only thing is, is the designer about to push the delete button on humanity because we stuffed up his planet?

16 hours ago, Elad said:

If i pray to 'God' and ask him a question, what is the best language to use... English or maybe mandarin Chinese? Or is 'God' fluent in all 6,500 spoken languages around the world. ????

Seriously?

If a being can create life, the universe and everything, 6,500 languages are a doddle to learn.

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There is nothing contradictory about believing that evolution is designed. It's just a celestial program, same as a computer program.

Only thing is, is the designer about to push the delete button on humanity because we stuffed up his planet?

Nearly my whole family believe so as they are JW's. They believe this is all coming to a end. Seem like party poppers to me. Just a new order is going to take control. Sounds like madness to me but they are not afraid of death and just think about how happy they are going to be in the future. Maybe it is a easy way to be.

• Like 1

Nothing to do with you. It's up to the OP to ask for it to be closed, or not.
You, on the other hand can choose not to come on it anymore. I suggest you take that option.
No i dont wish it stopped,i find it fascinating,never in my wildest dreams did i think it would go on so long, .

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

More meaningless, made up BS nonsense. But here's a secret only I KNOW...

...Bill Gates is The Designer! YOU'RE SCREWED!!! :cheesy: 

Atheists are some of the most religious and faithful people ever.  It takes an incredible amount of faith to be an atheist.  Sun, moon, stars, oceans, the Earth, animals, babies, male, female, the human heart, emotions, our conscience, love, intelligence, the human mind, bone structure, the human reproductive system, biblical prophecies coming true all before our eyes, eyewitness accounts of Jesus, and more and still there are some people who deny God’s existence.

Just stop and think about it.  It’s impossible for something to come from nothing.  To say nothingness caused nothing and created everything is absurd!  Nothing will always remain nothing.

J. S. Mill who was a non-Christian philosopher said, “It is self-evident that only mind can create mind.  For nature to make itself is a scientific impossibility.”

Atheism can’t explain existence.  Atheists live by science, but science (always) changes.  God and the Bible (always) remain the same.  They know there is a God.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Far as I'm concerned, Gates is already condemned for making that awful software, that they will not support after 5 minutes, because he wants another few billion dollars from everyone having to upgrade to yet another horrible version of windows.

:cheesy::clap2::cheesy:

6 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

Atheism can’t explain existence.  Atheists live by science, but science (always) changes.  God and the Bible (always) remain the same.  They know there is a God.

Scientific theories change as our understanding and knowledge progresses, but the laws of physics do not change.

If God and the bible were true, then why doesn't the bible (Gods words) give us some insights to how the universe works? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

However statistically improbable the entity you seek to explain by invoking a designer, the designer himself has got to be at least as improbable.

That's the fundamental flaw in all "intelligent design" arguments.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 9:52 AM, CMNightRider said:

When considering how life began, there are only two options.  Either life was created by an intelligent source (God) or it began by natural processes.

Only two options, eh?

Who says there had to be a beginning (or an end?)

Sounds like you're working with an obsolete "artifactual" model of the universe.

The basic assumptions which underpin such a model can be stated as follows:

(1) the universe is a construct. (2) matter is inherently "stupid" and therefore requires some external (i.e., supernatural) intelligence to shape it.

Hate to burst your bubble, but this model pretty much bought the farm with the advent of quantum mechanics.

Furthermore, even if it were somehow true that "life was created by an intelligent source," it wouldn't necessarily follow that this source would be the God you imagine.

3 hours ago, fusion58 said:

Only two options, eh?

Sounds like you're working with an obsolete "artifactual" model of the universe.

(1) the universe is a construct. (2) matter is inherently "stupid" and therefore requires some external (i.e., supernatural) intelligence to shape it.

Hate to burst your bubble, but this model pretty much bought the farm with the advent of quantum mechanics. 

Furthermore, even if it were somehow true that "life was created by an intelligent source," it wouldn't necessarily follow that this source would be the God you imagine.

So, from whence did quantum mechanics originate?

If life was created by an intelligent source, that intelligent source would be "God".

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, fusion58 said:

However statistically improbable the entity you seek to explain by invoking a designer, the designer himself has got to be at least as improbable.

That's the fundamental flaw in all "intelligent design" arguments.

The fundamental flaw in believing that there is no designer, is that that is as unprovable as the designer. God is a matter of faith, not evidence. 

What is undeniable, is that there are things unexplainable by science, at this point in time, and perhaps never.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

Atheists are some of the most religious and faithful people ever.  It takes an incredible amount of faith to be an atheist.  Sun, moon, stars, oceans, the Earth, animals, babies, male, female, the human heart, emotions, our conscience, love, intelligence, the human mind, bone structure, the human reproductive system, biblical prophecies coming true all before our eyes, eyewitness accounts of Jesus, and more and still there are some people who deny God’s existence.

Just stop and think about it.  It’s impossible for something to come from nothing.  To say nothingness caused nothing and created everything is absurd!  Nothing will always remain nothing.

J. S. Mill who was a non-Christian philosopher said, “It is self-evident that only mind can create mind.  For nature to make itself is a scientific impossibility.”

• Nothing will always remain nothing.

I don't believe your claim and can't imagine how you could show it as being any more than just a claim. … … … at this point it generally resorts to a 'you can't prove me wrong' argument, or a barrage of scripture served with a side of 'the Bible is true because it says so in the Bible'.... and home fries.

• God and the Bible (always) remain the same.

lol Why do I have different versions then? Are they all the same and have I been scammed by some dam n atheist?

2 minutes ago, notmyself said:

• Nothing will always remain nothing.

I don't believe your claim and can't imagine how you could show it as being any more than just a claim. … … … at this point it generally resorts to a 'you can't prove me wrong' argument, or a barrage of scripture served with a side of 'the Bible is true because it says so in the Bible'.... and home fries.

• God and the Bible (always) remain the same.

lol Why do I have different versions then? Are they all the same and have I been scammed by some dam n atheist?

The Bible is a construct of men, not of God, and so is fallible. Religion has little to nothing to do with faith. Religion was the means by which men in funny hats became powerful and rich.

If Jesus returned to earth, how do you think he would regard the men that live in the Vatican?

15 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

Nearly my whole family believe so as they are JW's. They believe this is all coming to a end. Seem like party poppers to me. Just a new order is going to take control. Sounds like madness to me but they are not afraid of death and just think about how happy they are going to be in the future. Maybe it is a easy way to be.

Yep. With glee also.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The Bible is a construct of men, not of God, and so is fallible. Religion has little to nothing to do with faith. Religion was the means by which men in funny hats became powerful and rich.

If Jesus returned to earth, how do you think he would regard the men that live in the Vatican?

• Religion has little to nothing to do with faith

What is religion without faith?

4 minutes ago, notmyself said:

• Religion has little to nothing to do with faith

What is religion without faith?

Most people, IMO, that profess to be religious only follow the forms of religion, but do not have faith eg Sunday Christians that do not live good lives. How many "Christians" sell all they have to give to the poor, or forgive their enemies?

Faith, on the other hand, does not require religion. 

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The fundamental flaw in believing that there is no designer, is that that is as unprovable as the designer.

Not saying that there is, is not saying that there is not. The entire world legal system works on this.... Guilty or not guilty…. You propose a guilty until proven innocent system. 

Just now, notmyself said:

Not saying that there is, is not saying that there is not. The entire world legal system works on this.... Guilty or not guilty…. You propose a guilty until proven innocent system. 

No, I propose that each person believes what they want to. Faith isn't a battle- it's an acceptance that there is something greater than us.

If others do not wish to believe, that is their prerogative. I'm not trying to force them to accept anything. I hope that all I have done is show that "God" is a possibility than can't be disproven.

Up to the individual to accept that or not, as they please.

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Most people, IMO, that profess to be religious only follow the forms of religion, but do not have faith eg Sunday Christians that do not live good lives. How many "Christians" sell all they have to give to the poor, or forgive their enemies?

Faith, on the other hand, does not require religion. 

Religion requires faith but faith does not require religion. Sure. 100%. My interest is I why rather than what in any case.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No, I propose that each person believes what they want to. Faith isn't a battle- it's an acceptance that there is something greater than us.

If others do not wish to believe, that is their prerogative. I'm not trying to force them to accept anything. I hope that all I have done is show that "God" is a possibility than can't be disproven.

Up to the individual to accept that or not, as they please.

Claim mate. 

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What is undeniable, is that there are things unexplainable by science, at this point in time, and perhaps never.

Never,

maybe, or than maybe not. 

" Things" unexplainable in the past are now common knowledge. 

We will know more for sure, in the future, about the "Things" which are still unexplainable now. 

This may include an answer on the yes or no "existence" of a "creator". 

In the meantime it's up to each one in particular to have his own proper opinion. 

Because it is all what it is :

an opinion. 

The problem is with the people  who believe that their opinion (whatever it may be) is not a viewpoint but a fact, and therefore are totally intolerant towards other interpretations. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fusion58 said:

Only two options, eh?

We have already talked about how God created the beginning   This is what the Bible says about the end.  If I were an atheist, I would pay particular attention to this.  

The event usually referred to as “the end of the world” (eschaton) is described in 2 Peter 3:10:  “The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.”  This is the culmination of a series of events called “the day of the Lord,” the time when God will intervene in human history for the purpose of judgment.  At that time, all that God has created, “the heavens and the earth” (Genesis 1:1), He will destroy. 

The timing of this event, according to most Bible scholars, is at the end of the 1000-year period called the millennium.  During these 1000 years, Christ will reign on earth as King in Jerusalem, sitting on the throne of David (Luke 1:32-33) and ruling in peace but with a “rod of iron” (Revelation 19:15).  At the end of the 1000 years, Satan will be released, defeated again, and then cast into the lake of fire (Revelation 20:7-10).  Then, after a final judgment by God, the end of the world described in 2 Peter 3:10 occurs.  The Bible tells us several things about this event. 

First, it will be cataclysmic in scope.  The “heavens” refers to the physical universe – the stars, planets, and galaxies—which will be consumed by some kind of tremendous explosion, possibly a nuclear or atomic reaction that will consume and obliterate all matter as we know it.  All the elements that make up the universe will be melted in the “fervent heat” (2 Peter 3:12).  This will also be a noisy event, described in different Bible versions as a “roar” (NIV), a “great noise” (KJV), a “loud noise” (CEV), and a “thunderous crash” (AMP).  There will be no doubt as to what is happening.  Everyone will see and hear it because we are also told that “the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.” 

Then God will create a “new heaven and a new earth” (Revelation 21:1), which will include the “New Jerusalem” (v. 2), the capital city of heaven, a place of perfect holiness, which will come down from heaven to the new earth.  This is the city where the saints—those whose names were written in the “Lamb’s book of life” (Revelation 13:8)—will live forever. Peter refers to this new creation as “the home of righteousness” (2 Peter 3:13). 

Perhaps the most important part of Peter’s description of that day is his question in verses 11-12:  “Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be?  You ought to live holy and godly lives as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming.”  Christians know what is going to happen, and we should live in a way that reflects that understanding. This life is passing away, and our focus should be on the new heavens and earth to come.  Our “holy and godly” lives should be a testimony to those who do not know the Savior, and we should tell others about Him so they can escape the terrible fate that awaits those who reject Him.  We wait in eager anticipation for God’s “Son from heaven, whom He raised from the dead, even Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come” (1 Thessalonians 1:10).

3 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

We have already talked about how God created the beginning This is what the Bible says about the end. If I were an atheist, I would pay particular attention to this.

Bully for you. I'm certain that I won't read through all that drivel.