Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

10 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Or we find a balance? Eat less meat, and more balanced food, from other sources. Insects will be one part in the future for the sure.

Milk is for most people healthy and important to their diet.

yep, moderation is the key.

While being vegetarian, i like a little cheese and a drop of milk in coffee and tea, although recently i have read various articles demonizing the use of dairy products.

On 4/15/2019 at 2:57 AM, Dumbastheycome said:

Because  you add  your apparent christian based  indoctrination re' Jesus and Virgin mothers in the  question  it is  not so easy  to  answer because it personifies  the  concept of god.

My personal perception of  God is  the  fact of  Existence as  we  experience it. 

So in that sense  alone I believe in God.

Religious  humbug and scientific attempts in explanation of remain insufficient to my understanding of apparent  physical reality based  in "somewhere."

So  yes I believe in God in terms  of  existence as  we live it. 

Einstein is often misquoted because of a similar feeling, but elsewhere he definitely stated several times he was a non-believer, so I guess you are in good company.  

On 4/14/2019 at 9:57 PM, Dumbastheycome said:

Because  you add  your apparent christian based  indoctrination re' Jesus and Virgin mothers in the  question  it is  not so easy  to  answer because it personifies  the  concept of god.

My personal perception of  God is  the  fact of  Existence as  we  experience it. 

So in that sense  alone I believe in God.

Religious  humbug and scientific attempts in explanation of remain insufficient to my understanding of apparent  physical reality based  in "somewhere."

So  yes I believe in God in terms  of  existence as  we live it. 

easy then, as "existence" exists by definition, one may think that "existence" has no consciousness of existing.

On the other hand, if you give "existence" a little chance to possess self consciousness, then we have "God" , done and dusted.

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

A few Indian religions, or i should say sects recommend a vegetarian diet, for the well being of oneself , the animals and the environment altogether. Specifically Krishna's and Jainist cults.

As someone said, the lenght of human's intestine is comparable to herbivore's standards, and we have only 4 canines on a total of 32 teeth.

That said, i'm not against a moderate meat consumption, as my long experience as a vegetarian is telling me.

But our cecum which herbivores find necessary has withered down to a useless appendage appendix!!!  Why is that?

24 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

But our cecum which herbivores find necessary has withered down to a useless appendage appendix!!!  Why is that?

Well, today not really interested in discussing intestines, let's postpone that ????

1 hour ago, The Deerhunter said:

It's not necessarily useless. It was thought to be in the past, just as most of our DNA was considered to be 'junk' because it didn't encode proteins. Recent research is beginning to show that the appendix does serve a purpose. To quote:

"Recent research has found that the appendix is far from useless, as previously understood. As the importance of gut bacteria became clearer, researchers realized that the appendix, partially isolated from the digestive system, served as a refuge for helpful bacteria during bouts of intestinal illness. Once the disease cleared, helpful microbes from the appendix could repopulate the gut."

https://daily.jstor.org/appendix/

You won't find this in the Bible. ????

• Like 1

On 9/23/2019 at 10:03 PM, VincentRJ said:

It's not necessarily useless. It was thought to be in the past, just as most of our DNA was considered to be 'junk' because it didn't encode proteins. Recent research is beginning to show that the appendix does serve a purpose. To quote:

"Recent research has found that the appendix is far from useless, as previously understood. As the importance of gut bacteria became clearer, researchers realized that the appendix, partially isolated from the digestive system, served as a refuge for helpful bacteria during bouts of intestinal illness. Once the disease cleared, helpful microbes from the appendix could repopulate the gut."

Correct, but I did find it and Google a few hours before I read your reply. There is no point in arguing with the at arguing with the god botherers.

On 9/23/2019 at 5:03 PM, VincentRJ said:

This is a sample of what you will find in the Bible. 

God has given both believers and unbelievers food to eat. 

1. Psalm 146:7 He upholds the cause of the oppressed and gives food to the hungry. The LORD sets prisoners free,

2. Genesis 9:3 Every living creature will be food for you; as I gave the green plants, I have given you everything.

3. Genesis 1:29 God said, “I have given you every plant with seeds on the face of the earth and every tree that has fruit with seeds. This will be your food.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

This is a sample of what you will find in the Bible. 

God has given both believers and unbelievers food to eat. 

1. Psalm 146:7 He upholds the cause of the oppressed and gives food to the hungry. The LORD sets prisoners free,

2. Genesis 9:3 Every living creature will be food for you; as I gave the green plants, I have given you everything.

3. Genesis 1:29 God said, “I have given you every plant with seeds on the face of the earth and every tree that has fruit with seeds. This will be your food.

No mention of good or bad bacteria, though. ????

On 9/23/2019 at 4:53 PM, Tagged said:

Okay, one last chance

Why do you believe?

Why do you believe your God is the one?

why do you believe the bible is the truth?

I do not accept bible say, god say refering to the scripts!

Last

Do you accept if you born in Asia or middle east, you most likely be Hindu, Muslim or Buddhist? As you would most likely be a Jew if you grow up in a Jew family, as growing up in a Chatolic or Christian family, you would follow your family traditions!

Very good post.

For Westerners the Bible is bricks and mortar stuff-the Bible being (generally) the first book to be translated into our national languages and read (out loud)on a popular level-it tended to define our languages and therefore our speech and thought patterns-hence,

Martin Luther-who established German..

The KGV and Douai-for English.

Saint Cyril for the Balkan's ..etc..etc..

So,irrespective whether the Bible is "true' or not-it is in our souls..

For me one of the most beautiful pieces of poetry ever written is about the old warhorse..

"He sniffeth the air,he paweth the ground,he neigheth amidst the trumpets ha ha!"

Edited by Odysseus123

3 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

No mention of good or bad bacteria, though. ????

If the Bible had described bacteria and viruses, to Moses for instance, what would ancient peoples have done with that information? They lacked the social or technological structures to do anything sophisticated with that knowledge. Instead, what God gave the Israelites were procedures effective in germ control, without laying out all of the deeper details. Biblical instructions for basic sanitation (Leviticus 2:137:177:1913:2-613:4615:2-13Deuteronomy 23:12-13, etc.) are more than just compatible with modern germ theory, they're frequently on par with modern best practices for hygiene and sanitation.

One example is Numbers chapter 19, which describes those who touch a dead body as unclean, and imposes a ritual washing process. Believe it or not, until the mid-1800s, physicians not only ignored this concept, but they frequently went from autopsying dead bodies to operating on the living without washing their hands! Once this changed, of course, hospital mortality rates dropped considerably. Further, the materials described in Numbers 19include ingredients like hyssop, which is a natural anti-bacterial, wool ash, which is gritty, and cedar, an irritant that would encourage repetitive rinsing. Go into hospitals today, and you'll see doctors washing with gritty, antibacterial soap and lots of water. 

The point is, while the Bible didn't explicitly explain viruses and bacteria, it gave people practical, understandable rules reflecting what we — today — would consider a scientifically sound understanding of germs. Those same hospitals are full of posters which don't explain germs, but do explain the right way to wash your hands. It's clear whoever wrote the poster understands the details, even though they didn't lay them out in that particular message.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

If the Bible had described bacteria and viruses, to Moses for instance, what would ancient peoples have done with that information? They lacked the social or technological structures to do anything sophisticated with that knowledge. Instead, what God gave the Israelites were procedures effective in germ control, without laying out all of the deeper details. Biblical instructions for basic sanitation (Leviticus 2:137:177:1913:2-613:4615:2-13Deuteronomy 23:12-13, etc.) are more than just compatible with modern germ theory, they're frequently on par with modern best practices for hygiene and sanitation.

One example is Numbers chapter 19, which describes those who touch a dead body as unclean, and imposes a ritual washing process. Believe it or not, until the mid-1800s, physicians not only ignored this concept, but they frequently went from autopsying dead bodies to operating on the living without washing their hands! Once this changed, of course, hospital mortality rates dropped considerably. Further, the materials described in Numbers 19include ingredients like hyssop, which is a natural anti-bacterial, wool ash, which is gritty, and cedar, an irritant that would encourage repetitive rinsing. Go into hospitals today, and you'll see doctors washing with gritty, antibacterial soap and lots of water. 

The point is, while the Bible didn't explicitly explain viruses and bacteria, it gave people practical, understandable rules reflecting what we — today — would consider a scientifically sound understanding of germs. Those same hospitals are full of posters which don't explain germs, but do explain the right way to wash your hands. It's clear whoever wrote the poster understands the details, even though they didn't lay them out in that particular message.

Good point! Those ancient people who lived during those times had probably observed that failing to wash their hands after touching a dead body could have bad consequences, and that's still true.

However, both Jews and Muslims had probably observed that eating pork could also have bad health consequences, because pigs appeared to eat a lot of disgusting garbage and wallow in filth. If the pig was diseased, and the flesh was not cooked thoroughly, people could become sick.

Why they became sick was not understood at the time. They just assumed it was because the pig's eating habits and lifestyle were unclean, so they banned the eating of Pork. That's fair enough, and very sensible, in the absence of modern knowledge.

However, nowadays, we have a better understanding of the diseases that pigs and other creatures can get, and address the problem. We also have sophisticated stoves and thorough cooking instructions which will destroy harmful bacteria.

There's no rational reason to abstain from eating pork, nowadays, unless one is a vegetarian.

The problem with religion is that it gets fixated on a particular rule or habit and ignores new knowledge on the issue.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Religion was made for the man, not the man for religion ????

This is the essence of true religion.

The pursuit of true religion—a life lived out of thankfulness for what God has done for us in sending Jesus Christ to live perfectly, to die for our sins, and to rise from death to give us the promise of eternal life—brings glory and praise to God.  A life lived in relationship with God is what we are called to pursue if we put our faith in Jesus Christ.  

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 2:53 AM, mauGR1 said:

Religion was made for the man, not the man for religion ????

Agree with the first half; but if the man, (or woman, because unfortunately it is usually worse for them ) is "made" in a particular family or culture then they will usually turn out to be as good as if they were made for that local religion.  But I am sure that God is a construct of man, not visa versa!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

Agree with the first half; but if the man, (or woman, because unfortunately it is usually worse for them ) is "made" in a particular family or culture then they will usually turn out to be as good as if they were made for that local religion.  But I am sure that God is a construct of man, not visa versa!!

Well, my quote was a slightly altered Lord Jesus's riposte to some bigot fundamentalist's dogma, personally i think that freedom of thought is a priority, so, whatever floats your boat..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

When I was young, I used to have some great conversations about sex, but no one I know now ever discusses it. I know some of them do do it, but for some reason they never talk about it- it's like they are ashamed that they do it.

That was then.  This is now!  Weird ain't it!

• Like 1

I've not really seen anyone talking about why they might believe God exists, beyond that the Bible says that he does, and that is good enough for them.

I've got friends who can ascribe their faith in God to apparently miraculous intervention by him.  I am blessed to have such acquaintances, since apparently the posters on this thread have not experienced such divine intervention, and rely solely on old books

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

I've not really seen anyone talking about why they might believe God exists, beyond that the Bible says that he does, and that is good enough for them.

I've got friends who can ascribe their faith in God to apparently miraculous intervention by him.  I am blessed to have such acquaintances, since apparently the posters on this thread have not experienced such divine intervention, and rely solely on old books

You must have overlooked all my posts then...

• Like 2

On 9/29/2019 at 3:04 AM, StreetCowboy said:

What a load of cobblers.

I personally on this thread have made many posts stating why I believe in "God" and why I don't believe in the books.

I can only assume you haven't read many if any of the pages on the thread.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Saint Nick said:

Nope!

No evidence provided, to think that there is one!

And as long as a believer doesn't nag me with it or tries to impose biblical BS on others (gays etc) - I really don't mind people believing!

If a believe in a god and the afterlife makes them good, kind and loving...all power to them!

Religious zealots (of any nomination)  can kiss my hairy butt! 

To repeat, if one had to have proof to believe, it wouldn't be faith.

Without faith, going to church, temple, mosque is just hypocrisy, as one is just going through the motions without believing.

IMO, having faith without proof is essential for salvation. If people only worshipped because they KNEW they'd burn forever in hell if they didn't, it wouldn't be faith that got them on their knees.

Edited by thaibeachlovers