Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

3 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Yes, and if you have nothing to say, better say nothing.

The problem is realising if what you are saying is nothing or something. And that applies to  everyone including me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, canuckamuck said:
2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Frankly, IMO, if not for the endeavours of a quite small number of innovative people over the 50,000 years of human occupation, we'd still be living in caves and stealing women from other tribes to mate with.

When did that end?

Toenail fungus from living in dump caves? :tongue:

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

The problem is realising if what you are saying is nothing or something. And that applies to  everyone including me.

Right, including me too, so let's do our best to stay on topic ????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

Our creative powers are impressive, so it's not surprising that some people in the past came up with the idea that 'some entity' created us, and the whole world. Of course, in those days it seems that those ancient leaders or prophets who created God, had no knowledge of the extent of our planet, or the extent of the universe. They were so ignorant they even thought a local flooding event was a world-wide flood, as described in the Noah's Ark story. ????

Although it might be easy to think that our ancestors were totally ignorant and scarcely intelligent, i believe that the invention of writing, while having been revolutionary for the trade and scientific progress, was responsible for the loss of other outstanding abilities of the homo sapiens.. Memory, for example.

There were legends all around the globe talking about a great flood, and the legend of Atlantis, a continent in the middle of Atlantic ocean.

The Noah's story could be inaccurate, but it would be a mistake, imho, to dismiss it as a complete fabrication.

15 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Although it might be easy to think that our ancestors were totally ignorant and scarcely intelligent, i believe that the invention of writing, while having been revolutionary for the trade and scientific progress, was responsible for the loss of other outstanding abilities of the homo sapiens.. Memory, for example.

There were legends all around the globe talking about a great flood, and the legend of Atlantis, a continent in the middle of Atlantic ocean.

The Noah's story could be inaccurate, but it would be a mistake, imho, to dismiss it as a complete fabrication.

A good history will always have a influx of the storytellers colours, exactly the same have happend to the big book. Stories have been changed, stories have been added, and taken away to suit the whole truth of god and his family. 

2 minutes ago, Tagged said:

A good history will always have a influx of the storytellers colours, exactly the same have happend to the big book. Stories have been changed, stories have been added, and taken away to suit the whole truth of god and his family. 

If that is enough for you to dismiss every story of the past, so be it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

If that is enough for you to dismiss every story of the past, so be it.

Where did you see I dismiss every story from past? I only dismiss gods spoken words in the bible, tora, or Koran! 

It is family and their tribes books. Nothing else! 

The chosen people, do not aknownledge Jesus, but Islam do as an profet

11 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Where did you see I dismiss every story from past? I only dismiss gods spoken words in the bible, tora, or Koran! 

It is family and their tribes books. Nothing else! 

The chosen people, do not aknownledge Jesus, but Islam do as an profet

Don't worry, just bantering a bit ????

While i can obviously agree that parts of the Bible and the Koran could be fabricated or inaccurate, i don't think that they should be completely dismissed.

Time will tell, as science, archaeology and explorations  progress, they may reveal that some legends have some foundation of truth.

Edited by mauGR1

2 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

I haven't dismissed it as a complete fabrication. I'm aware that there have been great flooding events in the past in different locations (even when CO2 levels were much lower than today ???? ), and that stories have been transmitted by memory from generation to generation in the absence of writing.

My point was that these ancient peoples seem to have assumed that a local flood, extending as far as the eye can see in all directions, covered the whole world, presumably because they had no idea of the size and extent of the world.

The irony here is that those ancient people would claim to have some knowledge of the creator of the entire universe (God), yet were even unaware of the size and extent of the planet they were standing on, or that the planet was a revolving ball which circled the sun, and so on.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

My point was that these ancient peoples seem to have assumed that a local flood, extending as far as the eye can see in all directions, covered the whole world, presumably because they had no idea of the size and extent of the world.

..But then you would base your point on a book which has been translated and interpreted and again interpreted and translated from very ancient oral accounts.

34 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

The irony here is that those ancient people would claim to have some knowledge of the creator of the entire universe (God), yet were even unaware of the size and extent of the planet they were standing on, or that the planet was a revolving ball which circled the sun, and so on.

Well, one thing is the obscurantism which was forced on the people by the priests and the kings, while in fact anyone can look at the sun and the moon, and deduce that the earth is round too. Or just climb a hill and observe the curved horizon of the planet.

Again, i find hard to believe that the ancient people were as ignorant as we like to think.

Actually i think that what we have gained with rational thought and organisation of society, is likely tantamount with something we have lost in terms of intuitive thought.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Surprisingly, the circumference of the Earth was first calculated in the third century BC by a Greek mathematician called Eratosthenes. He did this using two sticks placed at a known distance apart, and then measured the angle of the shadows cast by the mid-day sun on each stick. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eratosthenes

Edited by Elad

6 hours ago, WhatupThailand said:

DO YOU BELIEVE IN GOD, Yes I do and JESUS is GOD in the Flesh.

I would venture to say that 98% of people have developed their beliefs based on what their Family, Friends, and those they Trust, have told them, and not on their own research or study.

And now today it is so much easier, to accept so called Experts Opinions, which are only Theories, put forth as Facts, in order to base Beliefs upon Others Fantasies, without any personal effort, to check or reach the Truth personally.

Those cartoons showing a Angel on one shoulder, and a Devil on the other, is closer to the Truth,
than most can recognize or understand. This is why you are your own worst enemy.

The Brain is a Electro Magnetic Frequency Two way radio,
that connects you to both GOD and the Devil, and you control the Dial and Volume.
You choose either the Spiritual or Material Channel to tune into, and receive thoughts an ideas.

GOD spoke the universe into existence, it is all about sound and Frequency, even our sight is
based on a part of the spectrum regulated by Frequency, with much hidden out of our range.

The Bible was created by men who were tuned into GOD's Spiritual Frequency, and Transcribed a Record of all time, from beginning to end, to help us understand and Tune into GOD's Channel.

Ever tried to read the Bible ?, notice how tired and sleepy you got ?,
Because the Devil does not want you to wake up, just go back to your Dream and sleep walking.

Watch this and know the complete truth, if you can handle it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGJHyucREx8

Try Denying God’s Existence After Watching This! | Way of the Master: Season 3, Ep. 28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4gkpcLitL8

The Fossil Record: Proof of Noah's Flood or Evolution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHRYnm_J4ts

Miracles at the Crucifixion of Christ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q8jk41AI3E

????????????????????????????

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/14/2019 at 6:57 PM, mauGR1 said:

Pardon me, but isn't that paradoxical ?

I mean, thanks to inventions and innovations, we have been able to overcome high rates of mortality, make our lives more comfortable and interesting, thus multiplying exponentially, thus creating troubles for the environment, just by overpopulation.

Also, i don't think that "most of humanity" are "happy" to destroy the environment, it's just that a clean environment is at odds with the modern way of life.

Nothing to worry anyway, should the planet explode tomorrow, the rest of the universe will carry on just as normal.

The fact that we actually KNOW who invented the things that make our lives comfortable and allowed the overpopulation of the planet by humans indicates that the number of innovative people was very small. Most people never invent anything useful in their entire lives.

Most of humanity doesn't give a thought to the destruction of their environment, being more interested in mind garbage on tv, or getting <deleted> down the pub.

Keeping up with the Kardashians, anyone?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The fact that we actually KNOW who invented the things that make our lives comfortable and allowed the overpopulation of the planet by humans indicates that the number of innovative people was very small. Most people never invent anything useful in their entire lives.

Most of humanity doesn't give a thought to the destruction of their environment, being more interested in mind garbage on tv, or getting <deleted> down the pub.

Keeping up with the Kardashians, anyone?

Surely innovative people are a minority, i take it as a fact.

But it's also true that you need a lot of people doing "normal" jobs to pay scientists to research, in ancient times and modern times.

I think that science has reached a sort of peak, if it's true that they intend to clone humans, i would prefer the scientists to do nothing at all.

Perhaps your 2nd paragraph is closer to the truth than i like to think, in fact i banned the tv  from my home since some 40 years, there's nothing like that, together with alcohol, to make the people dull.

I may not agree with everything you say, but thanks anyway for your intellectual honesty ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Surely innovative people are a minority, i take it as a fact.

But it's also true that you need a lot of people doing "normal" jobs to pay scientists to research, in ancient times and modern times.

I think that science has reached a sort of peak, if it's true that they intend to clone humans, i would prefer the scientists to do nothing at all.

Perhaps your 2nd paragraph is closer to the truth than i like to think, in fact i banned the tv  from my home since some 40 years, there's nothing like that, together with alcohol, to make the people dull.

I may not agree with everything you say, but thanks anyway for your intellectual honesty ????

I don't have a tv that is connected to free to air tv as it's all garbage and ads now, IMO, and I won't pay just for a few shows on pay tv.

I do have a tv that I use to watch DVDs though. 

The best tv I saw was in the UK where the BBC put on some brilliant shows, but no equivalent in NZ. I did watch tv there.

In Thailand I just watched the movie channels, and a few opinion shows on Fox, which were entertainment more than news.

For a period of my life I didn't watch tv at all, and it was better for it. Then I got sucked back in, in the UK and became a tv junkie, but I've gone cold turkey now.

I'm going to be cremated so the mad scientists in the future can't clone me.

PS, would a clone have a soul?

I saw a very moving film about clones that had been bred to provide parts for people. Called Never Let Me Go. Warning- it's very disturbing for empathetic people- just thinking about it is making me sad, and it's years since I saw it. It was about whether clones have a soul among other things.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm going to be cremated so the mad scientists in the future can't clone me.

Oh, they can do much worse damage than cloning you or me.

Science is a wonderful thing if governed by high standards of morals, (which of course are subjective) yet extremely dangerous in the wrong hands.

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

They are on the way to create an artificial soul, although i suspect they are already there, be worried, very worried.

When they ban the Terminator books you will now the gig is up. 

Musk has already launched Skynet, I mean Starlink. And he is busy setting up nueralink as a brain AI interface.

Sci-fi is proving prophetic.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

When they ban the Terminator books you will now the gig is up. 

Musk has already launched Skynet, I mean Starlink. And he is busy setting up nueralink as a brain AI interface.

Sci-fi is proving prophetic.

Science has a dark side, like religion it can, and it will be used to subjugate the masses. Hopefully we'll wake up before it's too late, but, given the intellectual laziness of many, I am not too optimistic.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

????????????????????????????

Posting silly faces like this over someone writing about our Creator (God) and Jesus Christ our (Savior) who died for our sins, shows a lot about you.  Hopefully, you will take the time and effort to actually read the Bible and research what it says.  

The good news is, you have until you take your last breath to figure this out.  The bad news is, after you take your last breath it is a done deal.  Choose wisely.  

• Haha 1

On 10/15/2019 at 6:37 AM, Elad said:

Surprisingly, the circumference of the Earth was first calculated in the third century BC by a Greek mathematician called Eratosthenes. He did this using two sticks placed at a known distance apart, and then measured the angle of the shadows cast by the mid-day sun on each stick. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eratosthenes

Yes. That is impressive, and also impressive that he was out, maybe, by only 10-15%, according to the Wiki article.
There have been many brilliant individuals in the past who have had insightful ideas which centuries later have been confirmed as broadly correct. Some of course have been proved to be wrong, such as the Emission Theory of sight, that our eyes project a beam of light onto what we see.

Democritus, around 400 BC, is often quoted as the first person to come up with the concept of the atom, although his theory at the time was rejected by famous philosophers such as Plato and Aristotle who believed that all matter was composed of the four elements of fire, air, water and earth.

What I find interesting is that the concept of the atom could have preceded the times of Democritus by a century or so, in India. The first Indian to come up with that idea was Acharya Kanada who is claimed to have lived around 600 BC, but the dates are not certain.

I have no objection to the idea or concept that there is some all-powerful being or entity that created the world and all its forms of life. What I object to is the expression of certainty that such an entity exists, and the completely unscientific, inhumane and unsympathetic manner of maintaining such certainty by torturing and killing those who disagree.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

Posting silly faces like this over someone writing about our Creator (God) and Jesus Christ our (Savior) who died for our sins, shows a lot about you.  Hopefully, you will take the time and effort to actually read the Bible and research what it says.  

The good news is, you have until you take your last breath to figure this out.  The bad news is, after you take your last breath it is a done deal.  Choose wisely.  

Posting about your silly nonexistent god-thing and his(?) virgin birthed offspring when I'm posting actual silly faces that really exist, tells alot about you. 

Good news is...none of it matters as they won't send you to silly, made up cartoon hell! ????

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

Democritus, around 400 BC, is often quoted as the first person to come up with the concept of the atom, although his theory at the time was rejected by famous philosophers such as Plato and Aristotle who believed that all matter was composed of the four elements of fire, air, water and earth.

Democritus, Eratosthenes, and all the Greek philosophers were standing on the shoulders of giants.

Namely, Egyptian and Vedic studies, which were also beneficiaries , in turn, of previous civilisations.

Apparently you haven't yet digested the concept that having the Greeks developed the modern alphabet, they also managed to improve the spreading of the knowledge to unprecedented levels.

Btw, all matter IS composed of, not 4, but 5 basic elements (ether being the 5th); how this could be against the theory of the atom, i have no idea.

There is no god.  

However i think a pretty strong case can be made the believing in god has worked from an evolutionary point of view which is probably why it's still around. It may still be working since the religious still tend to breed and survive at a much higher rate that non believers.

Edited by turgid
Spelling

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

Democritus, Eratosthenes, and all the Greek philosophers were standing on the shoulders of giants.

Namely, Egyptian and Vedic studies, which were also beneficiaries , in turn, of previous civilisations.

Apparently you haven't yet digested the concept that having the Greeks developed the modern alphabet, they also managed to improve the spreading of the knowledge to unprecedented levels.

Btw, all matter IS composed of, not 4, but 5 basic elements (ether being the 5th); how this could be against the theory of the atom, i have no idea.

C'mon now! Isn't it obvious that everyone without exception is 'metaphorically' standing on the shoulders of someone from a previous generation, whether giant or dwarf.

We all learn from, and are influenced by, the ideas and culture that surround us. The Neanderthal teenager learns from an elder how to make a flint tool from a piece of hard rock, and if he is unusually bright, creates a different shape which is more effective, and then gets the praise of other people in the group.
The Neanderthals had the required genes to speak a language, but of course it's not known whether they actually developed a spoken language, but they could have.

The creation of a spoken language would have been a very long and gradual process involving many of the brightest in many generations standing on the shoulders of previous giants. The same would have applied to the earliest written scripts.

The lack of a written script in ancient civilizations, and/or the inability of modern scholars to decipher a script that might appear to be one, reduces the amount and the certainty of the historical knowledge we have of that civilization.

The Indus Valley Civilization, which predates the Greek civilization, is a classic example. We haven't yet deciphered the script, so there's a lot about the lifestyle, religion and administrative processes that are uncertain.
https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/world-history/world-history-beginnings/ancient-india/a/the-indus-river-valley-civilizations