Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

17 hours ago, Spidey said:

The latest teaching, in the UK, is that inflating the lungs is no longer deemed necessary during CPR (or should it now be referred to as CR?). Just keep pumping.

Hmmmm, well must be 40 years back I brought a bloke back to life using mouth to mouth as nothing else worked. He later died in hospital with his wife and born that day baby.....Very sad story....????

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Enthusiasm for atheism springs from the awareness of sin and instinctual understanding of the penalty of sin. Any alternative that assuages the fear is embraced and revered. The real reason for hatred towards faith in others is that it pulls the curtain back on a primal fear.

Who's talking about "hatred"?  Personally, I feel sorry for them as they obviously need a 'crutch' in their lives.

Bear in mind that my mother is extremely religious, and now she's very old (and I too, am older and so more sympathetic) - which has resulted in my being happy that her faith makes her happy. ????

Edited by dick dasterdly

7 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Enthusiasm for atheism springs from the awareness of sin and instinctual understanding of the penalty of sin. Any alternative that assuages the fear is embraced and revered. The real reason for hatred towards faith in others is that it pulls the curtain back on a primal fear.

Well put, but i would put an emphasis on " enthusiasm" which sounds very good in a neutral context, but can become dangerous ( fanaticism ) when mixed in large quantities with faith.

The problem is where one draws the line.

• Like 1

As a 'funny' aside, when I was very young my parents had a 'plaque' (can't think of the right word) on the wall saying "Conscience is the still, small voice that tells you you're about to be caught!"

Odd, how I still remember it after all these decades.  Probably 'cos it annoyed me as a small child, not understanding the meaning.

31 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

As a 'funny' aside, when I was very young my parents had a 'plaque' (can't think of the right word) on the wall saying "Conscience is the still, small voice that tells you you're about to be caught!"

Odd, how I still remember it after all these decades.  Probably 'cos it annoyed me as a small child, not understanding the meaning.

Careful, "hearing the voices" , or admit to it, is not very PC nowadays :whistling:

On 4/16/2019 at 4:40 PM, Skeptic7 said:

Right so you gotta take Pascal's wager for ALL deities...NOT just one. ALL...cuz if you believe in the wrong deity, suffer the consequences.

Like say The Flying Spaghetti Monster that the Pastafarians believe in. If you don't love pasta and have it at least once a week and truly enjoy it...spend eternity drowning in a noodly pot of boiling water! :vampire:

And you have to go around with an upturned saucepan on your head (handle pointing backwards) to comply with the religious silly hat requirement.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, xkkpafi said:

And you have to go around with an upturned saucepan on your head (handle pointing backwards) to comply with the religious silly hat requirement.

Drat, I thought it was forward...No wonder I was getting funny looks....????

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, xkkpafi said:

Hahaha...actually it's a colander, but YES

PSX_20190423_092113.jpg

PSX_20190423_092049.jpg

3 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Hahaha...actually it's a colander, but YES 

PSX_20190423_092113.jpg

PSX_20190423_092049.jpg

To any Pastafarian, I am deeply and profoundly sorry for insulting your religion; I am ashamed and in complete remorse for suggesting you wear saucepans. This should be a lesson to all - my ignorance is unforgivable.

• Haha 2

On 4/14/2019 at 9:31 PM, CharlieH said:

No offence to those that do,  but for me, its just  "an invisible friend for adults".

I sooner believe in sexy bar girls...instant gratification, all my desires are met. no waiting, no praying for possibility???? just pay and go, done!

Edited by mike787

If someone told you, in all seriousness, that they talk to invisible beings who control the universe, you’d probably back away slowly, nodding and smiling, while desperately looking for the nearest exit or escape route. If this person then said they wanted to be in charge of your life, you’d probably do the same, but more urgently, and with a view to finding the nearest police officer.

And yet, this happens all the time.........it's called religion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

In heaven, bargirls do it for free, they're all 3 holers and there's no requirement for condoms.

Similarities with Sihanoukville.......... and parts of Pattaya.

Edited by Jip99

1 hour ago, xkkpafi said:

To any Pastafarian, I am deeply and profoundly sorry for insulting your religion; I am ashamed and in complete remorse for suggesting you wear saucepans. This should be a lesson to all - my ignorance is unforgivable.

It's taken years for the dust to settle, and someone has to go and open the whole saucepan schism all over again.  The Pot-estants lost that battle.

12 minutes ago, transam said:

So was the Beano....????

Walking street is confirmed too...check out all the publications, eye witness accounts and testimonials of hedonism!!!  Pure heaven and it's ALL here right now.  NO waiting, NO praying. No hoping. NO guessing. Jus dive in and  cheap beer (holy water) all night long.????

Edited by mike787
  • Like 1