Switch from 10 year visit visa to Settlement visa

Hi there,

It is quite possible that I will return to the UK to work. My wife has a 10 year visitor visa but clearly that is for visits and I would prefer not to have to worry about her time spent in the UK. What do I need to do to change this to a Settlement visa? is there any advantage to having the 10 year visitor visa? Also we have a child with a British passport. Does my wife still need to take an English test or can exclusion be applied based on having a dependent child? and where would you recommend in Bangkok if so? I can meet the financial requirements either way (income or savings) so that isn't a problem. I also know a TB test is required.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

SamuiGeezer

You’re right your wife’s visit visa is for visits, she can’t change that to a settlement visa, settlement requires a totally separate application with different requirements, that you seem to me aware of.
She will have to take the English test, there are no opt outs because of your child.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

You’re right your wife’s visit visa is for visits, she can’t change that to a settlement visa, settlement requires a totally separate application with different requirements, that you seem to me aware of.
She will have to take the English test, there are no opt outs because of your child.

Thank you for your prompt reply. We can stretch it out with the visitor visa with holidays but I'd rather do everything by the book. Please can you recommend somewhere in Bangkok for the English test?

Kind regards,

SamuiGeezer

Work on a figure of around £10K for the visas that are required. The visas go up by around 20% each year.

The applicant for a Settlement visa needs to satisfy the ECO of the following.
1. That the relationship/marriage is genuine and subsisting.
2. You earn £18,600 or more. If you have £62.5K in savings lying around in a bank account you can bypass the salary route.
3. Accommodation arrangements in UK.

Assuming you married in Thailand, to get the Settlement visa (33 months), she will also need an A1 English language certificate (£150) and a TB test (3300 baht) that she will have in Bangkok at the International Organisation for Migration (IOM). For Further leave to remain (FLR for 30 months) she will need the A2 English language certificate. For Indefinite leave to remain (ILR), after she has lived in the UK for five years, she will need the B1 language test and to pass the Life in the UK test (£50). If her English is good, get her to take the B1 test for the first visa so that she, hopefully, won't need to take another language test. If the UK government don't change the rules as they did last year.

On top of the cost of the visas you will need to pay the NHS surcharge for the first two visas. The NHS surcharge is £400 a year. For the Settlement visa it will be currently £1200 and FLR will be £1000. No NHS surcharge for ILR which is after she has lived here in the UK for five years. Your wife will be allowed to work when she comes here on the settlement visa.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SamuiGeezer said:

Please can you recommend somewhere in Bangkok for the English test?

There is a member here that's involved with testing in Bangkok, not sure where exactly, maybe he'll respond shortly.

Your wife could take the test in the UK when she's visiting the UK, some people say the test is less complicated, my wife took hers in Holborn, she was in and out in less than ten minutes with her pass paper.
I understand that in Thailand applicants are tested in pairs, whilst they're assessed indivually I do believe that some applicants find it uncomfortable.

• Like 1

I agree. You only have to look at the Trinity College channel on YouTube to see some real tests. A1 and A2 are both six minute tests. They are very straightforward. My wife took her 10 minute B1 test last week in Hammersmith and pleasantly surprised me by passing first time. At £150 a pop, as long as the Government don't change the goalposts it's good for my wife's second FLR and ILR in 30 months time.

• Like 1