Water situation worrying

webfact

Water situation worrying

By PRATCH RUJIVANAROM 
THE NATION

f626d9c797951d6437aa2a1e14aa7804.jpeg

File photo

Minister warns of severe shortage under impact of El Nino if people do not use their resources prudently.

THE GOVERNMENT has ordered all relevant agencies to be cautious in managing the country’s water supplies and also urged people to use water wisely, as the prospects of a severe drought appear on the horizon.

Deputy Prime Minister General Chatchai Sarikulya on Saturday expressed concern about a severe drought next year, as the climate in Thailand was drier than usual this year, due to the impact of El Nino. 

He warned of the risks of serious water shortage if we remain unprepared and the reservoirs run low when the dry season returns in November.

Leading domestic and international agencies, including the Thai Meteorological Department and the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), have forecast that the El Nino phenomenon in the Pacific Ocean will remain mild for the rest of this year. Hence, the Asia Pacific Region, including Thailand, will face a hotter climate and lesser rainfall.

“We need to reconsider our water management strategy and reprioritise the water supply allocation for this year, because we have found worrying issues of low water deposits in our irrigation system and larger water demand due to unplanned agricultural expansion,” Chatchai said.

“Considering the long-term forecast of a drier-than-usual rainy season, if we fail to promptly handle these issues prudently, we will not be able to prevent the escalation of the localised water shortage problem into a nationwide disaster.”

Unplanned farming

Chatchai said that higher water demand from unplanned farming expansion, especially rice cultivation, was a major factor in the unexpected acceleration of water consumption from the agricultural sector, which contributed to the drying up of many major reservoirs.

The deputy PM revealed that currently 23 large reservoirs were below 50 per cent of their total water capacity.

a0611a86a3e0379bca8937d94a4def52.jpeg

The Northeast was hit the hardest, as seven major dams in the region now have critically low water deposits, so even the irrigated areas are at risk of suffering from water shortage.

“We are all aware that we have to endure the unpleasant effects of El Nino for the rest of this year, so we would like to ask all people to use our limited water resources very carefully,” Chatchai said.

“The [water] situation this year is quite similar to 2015, so the local authorities may apply the same drought-tackling measures to handle the problem. I’ll be visiting the drought-affected areas in the Northeast after the Songkran holidays to personally oversee drought relief activities.”

Water scarcity has already affected many parts of Thailand. The RID’s Smart Water Operation Centre (SWOC) reported that spare water resources, which the RID allocates for human consumption, ecosystems, factories and farming for the entire dry season, are being used up fast, cutting off irrigation to large areas of farmland, mostly in the Northeast.

SWOC revealed that, as of yesterday, the national dry-season water resources amounted to only 1.4 billion cubic metres, 7 per cent of the total 23.1 billion cubic metres at the beginning of the dry season.

The situation was even worse at the local scale. SWOC reported that the allocated dry season water in the Chao Phraya River Basin of 8 billion cubic metres had been used up. The RID even had to use an additional 221 million cubic metres of spare water for the early rainy season to meet the high water demands in the Basin during the rest of the dry season.

This year, the dry season is expected to last longer than usual. Witsanu Attavanich, economics professor at Kasetsart University, cautioned that the El Nino Southern Oscillation in Pacific Ocean is now developing into a mild El Nino phase.

This will make the climate in the western part of the Pacific hotter and more arid and may eventually delay the rainy season in Thailand by several weeks.

Witsanu cautioned that El Nino is predicted to remain active for the rest of this year and it was very likely that the country will receive less rain and may suffer even more severe drought conditions in the next dry season.

He urged authorities to manage water very carefully this year. Farmers should be prudent in planning their cultivation while citizens must start conserving their water resources, he said, adding there was still time to prepare and build up resilience for more unpredictable extreme weather in the future.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30367687

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-15

8 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

Maybe more dams? Collect and store the water in the rainy season.  

The area I am in has plenty of space in the reservoirs, but no rain to fill them up! after last years rainy season they were not 50% full.

46 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Apart from the irresponsible wastage of water during Songkran: the whole Songkran water-assault lunacy should be banned - or at least confined to designated parks or other selected areas. I've been trapped in a car in a road in Hatyai (in the past), unable to move forwards or backwards, with total mayhem going on all around us, and the idiocy was beyond belief. Total lawlessness - with the 'police' standing just a hundred feet away, doing nothing. 

I suppose the Authorities deliberately let people go wild for a few days each year as compensation for the ever-increasing militaristic state being built all around us.

For myself, whatever the reasons - I find Songkran (as it has become - not how it was fifty years ago) the height of childishness, brainlessness, mayhem and irresponsibility.

But - haven't I just summed up approved Thai 'culture' in some of those words?

I totally agree, I posted something similar earlier.

Should you complain, then it's YOU that is the bad guy!!!!!

To only allow the "Festival" in designated areas would be wonderful.

Those who enjoy it can do just that and those who want to avoid it can!

Sounds like a survey is needed?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, laislica said:

Bad idea. They will ask 500 people who are drunk and throwing water at the time.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Eligius said:

Apart from the irresponsible wastage of water during Songkran: the whole Songkran water-assault lunacy should be banned - or at least confined to designated parks or other selected areas. I've been trapped in a car in a road in Hatyai (in the past), unable to move forwards or backwards, with total mayhem going on all around us, and the idiocy was beyond belief. Total lawlessness - with the 'police' standing just a hundred feet away, doing nothing. 

I suppose the Authorities deliberately let people go wild for a few days each year as compensation for the ever-increasing militaristic state being built all around us.

For myself, whatever the reasons - I find Songkran (as it has become - not how it was fifty years ago) the height of childishness, brainlessness, mayhem and irresponsibility.

But - haven't I just summed up approved Thai 'culture' in some of those words?

48 minutes ago, laislica said:

43 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Bad idea. They will ask 500 people who are drunk and throwing water at the time.

Here’s my idea, but I don’t know how to create such a survey that would work on TVF.

Songkran Festival Survey:

1)      Your Nationality ( a pull down)

2)      Gender (radio buttons)

3)      Age group (radio buttons)

4)      How do you visit Thailand ( a pull down containing:
No visa: a 30 day visa waiver on arrival
Tourist visa, multi entry or other
Work Permit
Ed visa
Retirement extension
Marriage extension
Other visa type)

5)      How long should the water throwing last: (Days radio buttons)

6)      Would you be happy if water throwing was in designated areas only (radio buttons)

Such a survey would give authorities valuable info to help them keep things safe.

I must say that in recent years, I have enjoyed the water throwing and drinking But,

The practice of smearing someones face with a paste made from chamomile is dangerous.

Especially when it’s the rider of a motorcycle who may have that stinging stuff in their eyes!

The festival I attended was in a small village near Kamphaengphet and was quite good humoured.

However, everyone on the main road (there is only one road!) was fair game.

True that generally the food vendors were mainly left alone (if you know what I mean).

In some areas, I hear that the water throwing can go on for many days, not just the 13th.

I was in Nakhon Pathon and it started on the 12th…..

When it stops I have no idea, we are back home in Changwat Samut Sakhon and I refuse to go out again…..

Yes, I’m an ancient one (77 with a retirement ext) so I hope that explains why I feel the way I do.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, laislica said:

Here’s my idea, but I don’t know how to create such a survey that would work on TVF.

Songkran Festival Survey:

1)      Your Nationality ( a pull down)

2)      Gender (radio buttons)

3)      Age group (radio buttons)

4)      How do you visit Thailand ( a pull down containing:
No visa: a 30 day visa waiver on arrival
Tourist visa, multi entry or other
Work Permit
Ed visa
Retirement extension
Marriage extension
Other visa type)

5)      How long should the water throwing last: (Days radio buttons)

6)      Would you be happy if water throwing was in designated areas only (radio buttons)

Such a survey would give authorities valuable info to help them keep things safe.

I must say that in recent years, I have enjoyed the water throwing and drinking But,

The practice of smearing someones face with a paste made from chamomile is dangerous.

Especially when it’s the rider of a motorcycle who may have that stinging stuff in their eyes!

The festival I attended was in a small village near Kamphaengphet and was quite good humoured.

However, everyone on the main road (there is only one road!) was fair game.

True that generally the food vendors were mainly left alone (if you know what I mean).

In some areas, I hear that the water throwing can go on for many days, not just the 13th.

I was in Nakhon Pathon and it started on the 12th…..

When it stops I have no idea, we are back home in Changwat Samut Sakhon and I refuse to go out again…..

Yes, I’m an ancient one (77 with a retirement ext) so I hope that explains why I feel the way I do.

All that he said.

Signed.

A crusty old curmudgeon.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 2

But there is a designated area, it is called Thailand. You are quite safe outside that area ????

3 hours ago, laislica said:

and yet, good drinking water is wasted during Songkran!

and for what?

MONEY!

The festival has, IMHO, turned from a gentle tradition, into The Worlds Biggest Water Fight!

It attract foreigners to come and behave badly, but beware, should you post pictures of the "Fun" and they are deemed to be lewd, you may be prosecuted!

The family and friends in a tuk tuk taxi on their way to a restaurant for lunch get wet to their underwear.

They had no water to throw and did not want to be wet but hey, they were fair game for the !@#$%^& fools that threw the water!!!

No respect!!!

(It was Thai's and not foreigners in the truck that threw the water, despite being asked nicely, in Thai, not to)

BAH!

I stay home much of the time during this sanctioned lunacy in Pattaya, and I have a car! Unsafe, lawless and downright Pat-trash-aya.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, toenail said:

...ok, I will be the old Scrooge. When the water reservoirs are going low & there is this awareness before Songkron- why have 3+ days of wasting water? Limit it to one day in the big cities. 

If Songkran was limited to just one day, ( the same as the rest of world celebrates its New Year ) then there would only be a plus plus situation.

Water would be saved

All the drunk drivers would not be racing around the Country to the next Songkran Party, which would reduce the death toll on the roads by a huge margin.

it would be possible to buy some food in the Local Market

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CGW said:

But it was burned in a night?

Relying on monsoon rains to fill reservoirs ever year? maybe not the best idea, you don't have to look further than Ankor Wat to see what happens when you expect expect nature to co-operate annually  ????

So what is the solution then?