Is it possible to get an internship visa without university?

I am a Jamaican student studying in China, i am basically about to graduate and potentially maybe obtain an internship in Thailand. I would like to know if it's possible to get an internship visa for Thailand without my university's recommendation letter and possibly changing it to a work permit without having to leave the country afterwards.

There is no such thing as an internship visa. You are able to apply for a work permit for an unpaid position (with the support of your employer) and using the documents supplied by your employer obtain a non-immigrant visa. A non-immigrant B visa is applied for outside of Thailand in most cases.

If you can obtain an offer of an internship and the necessary supporting documents from outside of Thailand (by email or post?), then theoretically you could successfully apply for a non-immigrant B (or O) visa without having to enter Thailand and then leave again.

7 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

You are able to apply for a work permit for an unpaid position (with the support of your employer) and using the documents supplied by your employer obtain a non-immigrant visa.

How does an unpaid position work? Like in terms of having a company with your wife together?

Edited by tabarin

7 minutes ago, tabarin said:

How does an unpaid position work? Like in terms of having a company with your wife together?

A work permit can be issued by the Ministry of Labour for an unpaid position. Usually they are issued for volunteer positions.

I think just "having a company with your wife together" without actually doing any work would not satisfy the Ministry of Labour that you had satisfied the criteria for a work permit.

6 hours ago, mirol00 said:

I would like to know if it's possible to get an internship visa for Thailand without my university's recommendation letter and possibly changing it to a work permit without having to leave the country afterwards.

There is no internship visa.

A non-ed visa for education can be issued for a internship if you have supporting documents from a university.

It is not possible to get a work permit for a internship. You would need supporting document from a registered company here to apply for a work permit to get a WP3 work permit application receipt to apply for a non-b visa to work.

6 hours ago, Briggsy said:

There is no such thing as an internship visa. You are able to apply for a work permit for an unpaid position (with the support of your employer) and using the documents supplied by your employer obtain a non-immigrant visa. A non-immigrant B visa is applied for outside of Thailand in most cases.

If you can obtain an offer of an internship and the necessary supporting documents from outside of Thailand (by email or post?), then theoretically you could successfully apply for a non-immigrant B (or O) visa without having to enter Thailand and then leave again.

Oh, isn't that considered volunteering? I've been up and down forums and blogs. Im a bit afraid of working illegally haha. The company seems legit from who i was interviewing with (tons of foreigners). Now it makes sense why they're interviewing me for this long and actually giving me projects to do. Really thought I would be applying for the ED visa for the internship.

The non-immigrant visas type B or O are the ones that can be converted into a work permit? Ive read certain instances from other people that they were able to get a work permit from a tourist visa. However I don't know if they were trolling...

57 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no internship visa.

A non-ed visa for education can be issued for a internship if you have supporting documents from a university.

It is not possible to get a work permit for a internship. You would need supporting document from a registered company here to apply for a work permit to get a WP3 work permit application receipt to apply for a non-b visa to work.

Interesting, see that's the thing actually. It's not a required course or anything so I don't think my university would actually write the recommendation letter for me unless it could be a professor? Then Id gladly go and ask him. 

I'm a bit confused though actually,  since the position Ive applied for is an internship but basically theyre giving me all these tests as they would to filter and weed out the good and the bad. So from the get go, it's possible Im working there even after internship? Sorta strange.

What do you mean by "internship"? It has more than one meaning and its meaning has evolved over the last couple of decades.

It is often currently understood to mean

1. working in an organisation,

2. without getting paid,

3. to provide invaluable experience of a profession for the intern,

4. possibly with a view to obtaining a paid position at that organisation.

3 hours ago, Briggsy said:

What do you mean by "internship"? It has more than one meaning and its meaning has evolved over the last couple of decades.

It is often currently understood to mean

1. working in an organisation,

2. without getting paid,

3. to provide invaluable experience of a profession for the intern,

4. possibly with a view to obtaining a paid position at that organisation.

Basically the points youve listed, I am not really expecting a pay though, just pure experience hopefully. 

Is it even possible to apply for the non-ed visa without a degree at the time of the application (since I am in a foreign country, itll take some time to get things notarized etc.) granted that the employer supplies the required documents from their side. Or I'd need to give em my transcript etc.? 

4 hours ago, mirol00 said:

Basically the points youve listed, I am not really expecting a pay though, just pure experience hopefully. 

Is it even possible to apply for the non-ed visa without a degree at the time of the application (since I am in a foreign country, itll take some time to get things notarized etc.) granted that the employer supplies the required documents from their side. Or I'd need to give em my transcript etc.? 

If the "employer" is not an educational institute, I cannot see you getting an ED visa.

If the "employer" is a company, then the internship could only provide permission to stay through an non-imm O or B visa and then a work permit as a volunteer. This would probably involve you leaving the country every 90 days.

You seemed to be very focussed on the lack of degree but I am not sure that is the issue at play here.

On 4/19/2019 at 12:43 AM, Briggsy said:

If the "employer" is not an educational institute, I cannot see you getting an ED visa.

If the "employer" is a company, then the internship could only provide permission to stay through an non-imm O or B visa and then a work permit as a volunteer. This would probably involve you leaving the country every 90 days.

You seemed to be very focussed on the lack of degree but I am not sure that is the issue at play here.

As a matter of fact, I will have to wait 2-3 months to receive my degree ( a lot of processing and have to get it notarized etc.) but honestly that's a long time I'd be waiting, So I wanted to know my options to see if I'm able to just obtain the visa then start my internship as soon as possible for some experience at least haha. 

The employer is definitely a company, so I don't think i can get the ED visa. I don't think Id have to worry too much ( i hope). Most of the employees employed there, are mostly foreigners so the company is more than likely legit. 

Thanks a lot for the information! I really appreciate it.