Honda CB150R, known problems?

jackdd

I'm currently looking for a small bike for the city, and i noticed that the Honda CB150R is sold surprisingly cheap on the second hand market, especially for a Honda.

The 2018 CB150R can be bought second hand with low kilometers for about 60k, new price for the current 2019 model and back then for the 2018 model was 98k THB

That's nearly 40% cheaper after a year and maybe 5k kms, which is just way more price degradation than nearly any other motorbike in Thailand.

Is there a reason that the price is so low, other than maybe just many people trying to sell it and not many people wanting to buy it? This is not really the bike i'm looking for, but i might just buy it for the fun, and because it's cheap, thus it will probably not lose much more value over the next 2 or 3 years.

Edited by jackdd

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Is there a reason that the price is so low, other than maybe just many people trying to sell it and not many people wanting to buy it?

That's about it, years ago was one of the first 150 sportsbikes with gears and sold like hotcakes, then came everything else.

• Like 1

I think one of the problems is that the CBR150R remained pretty much unchanged since the latest model was introduced in 2013 through the 2018 model then came the newer designed naked Evolution model which made the CBR150R  kind of long in the tooth design wise.  However, it is my understanding that a new redesigned CBR150R is coming out very soon so that may also contribute to the drop in value of the older model.  Also, as Kwasaki points out, the CBR150R does have a lot more competition among other manufacturers.  Back in it's hay had when the first generation CBR150R was introduced, 150cc bikes was pretty much it as Thailand restricted size of motorcycle bikes sold in Thailand.  I was at Honda last week or so and if I'm not mistaken, the CBR150R leftover models were selling for around 69,000 baht if I'm not mistaken.  the 150's are also getting more competition from the 250 and 300 market whereby prices are more affordable than in the past; if they would only drop the prices on the 500's, I'd be a happy camper.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jackdd said:

That's nearly 40% cheaper after a year and maybe 5k kms, which is just way more price degradation than nearly any other motorbike in Thailand. 

To get a motorcycle, particularly a Honda, with that level of depreciation is unheard of in Thailand. I don't know the answer but I would be mighty suspicious. Sorry, I can't help more.

• Like 1

massive over saturation of the market in the 150-300cc market. Hence the great used values if buying nearly new.

Would look at the Yammy Slaz.

Would also look at a used CB300F.

286cc, same size. Would get one for the same price. 

Go on classified sites and test each bike. There's probably someone near you selling one. 

That's a LOT of depreciation for a Honda indeed, wow. It might be a combination of a few factors like market saturation as mentioned by Happy Grumpy, vibration issues as mentioned by ol' papa and that the bike just doesn't do much really apart from looking nice. I tested it on a parking lot so can't say too much (and couldn't hit high enough RPM to know about the vibes) but I was not very impressed. Throttle was meh for slow speed - and the thing only does slow speed ????

I think the market is slowly moving away from the 1xx cc class for motorbikes to 250/300 and leaving the lower cc for scooters. That being said, I do see these CB150R quite a bit on the roads of Phuket. Nothing like the M-Slaz though which is everywhere.

• Like 1