Tourist Visa Run Options

Hi there,

I am looking for some advice on my personal situation. I started in Thailand some years ago studying Thai at a language school on an ED Visa, then transferred to a university where I am due to complete my degree (one that still immigration still only gives 90 day extensions for). For now it is my intention to stay in Thailand afterward but I will be looking at finding a job and get a work permit etc. However at the end of my studies, I will have to cancel my ED visa and move onto a tourist visa whilst looking/applying for work.

I don't have any tourist visas in my new passport, nor visa exempt entry stamps as I have been on the same ED visa in my current passport. My question is, where is the best place to obtain a multiple entry tourist visa outside the country in Asia? I would like to make use of some quality time whilst applying so am looking at somewhere nice, perhaps Vietnam, Penang or even Hong Kong. I have been reading stories of visas being denied because of no outward ticket from Thailand and obviously I would not have an outbound ticket booked in this situation.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

You can only apply for a multiple entry tourist visa in you home country or country of legal residence.

Your only choice nearby is single entry tourist visas. You could get up to 3 or 4 of them without a problem.

Oh, thanks Joe. Is this new? I remember getting a METV in Laos years ago.

A TR visa is also 60 days at a time if I remember rightly?

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can only apply for a multiple entry tourist visa in you home country or country of legal residence.

Your only choice nearby is single entry tourist visas. You could get up to 3 or 4 of them without a problem. 

2 minutes ago, jackoholly said:

I remember getting a METV in Laos years ago.

That would of been a 2 or 3 entry tourist visa that are no longer issued. A multiple entry tourist visa now allows unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months from the date of issue. 

A single entry tourist visa would allow a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 day entries.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That would of been a 2 or 3 entry tourist visa that are no longer issued. A multiple entry tourist visa now allows unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months from the date of issue. 

A single entry tourist visa would allow a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 day entries.

Thank you very much. In terms of location, quoting my original post, which would be easiest to apply to from Penang, Hong Kong or Vietnam?

11 hours ago, jackoholly said:

Thank you very much. In terms of location, quoting my original post, which would be easiest to apply to from Penang, Hong Kong or Vietnam?

Vientiane Laos is good location but you need to make an appointment 2 weeks in advance.

Savannakhet Laos is good and does not require an appointment.

Vietnam is good.

Kuala Lumpur is now a good option. 

Penang or Hong Kong would be good for the 1st one.