Keeping Knives Sharp

I saw chefs in Thailand and Laos sharpening knives on the unlacquered rim of ceramic plate bottoms, so I use that method too. But, I have a really good Japanese blade that is not stainless steel. It sharpens easily but gets rusty quickly, too. I try to clean and dry it immediately after use, but...Any suggestions for knife care?

yeah, I agree...carbon steel takes an edge real nicely, if they start to get a bit orangey just scrub briefly widda wire pot scrubber...stainless knives are a pain in this regard requiring a big effort but hold de edge longer...

my irish ex mom-in-law was a wizard in de kitchen, grew up onna farm in Co Laoise an useta prepare meals fer 20 men during harvest time...she would take any knife handed to her and simply scrape de edge against a dinner knife a few times an' it would then be sharp enuf fer her purposes...she showed me howta make wonderful soda bread, bless her heart...

You can use any flat stone for sharpening metal objects. I use whetstones for sharpening my knifes (Global and Kai) from DMT (http://www.dmtsharp.com/general/basicsharp.htm) these are excellent stones, fine grit on one side and coarse on the other side.

You can look around in local hardware stores for any sharpening stone and use oil or water for lubrication. Make sure using the right honing angle. You may use a wide leather belt for finishing the honing process.

If you have expensive knifes - crude methods described above (kitchen counter, other knife) should be avoided.

You can use any flat stone for sharpening metal objects. I use whetstones for sharpening my knifes (Global and Kai) from DMT (http://www.dmtsharp.com/general/basicsharp.htm) these are excellent stones, fine grit on one side and coarse on the other side.

You can look around in local hardware stores for any sharpening stone and use oil or water for lubrication. Make sure using the right honing angle. You may use a wide leather belt for finishing the honing process.

If you have expensive knifes - crude methods described above (kitchen counter, other knife) should be avoided.

yeah, I hear ye...I used to have a nice selection of Sabatier items but they were such a hassle to keep sharp that I abandoned them fer the cheap, disposable type... professional quality knives need lookin' after...in a busy restaurant kitchen the most junior chef apprentice would probly have that responsibility...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

yeah, I hear ye...I used to have a nice selection of Sabatier items but they were such a hassle to keep sharp that I abandoned them fer the cheap, disposable type... professional quality knives need lookin' after...in a busy restaurant kitchen the most junior chef apprentice would probly have that responsibility...

In a "real" kitchen all the chefs are looking after their own knifes, never ever would give a single knife to a rookie.

"For me the only way but it takes a while to learn it"

Good point Gerd. Sharpening does take some learning. And techniques vary almost as much as the materials used to sharpen. In general though, you have 2 ways to keep a knife sharp: The Stone, and The Steel.

The stone is used to sharpen the actual blade, and it does this by subtracting material from it until an angled edge is made.

The steel is actually made of high qualtiy steel and its hardness will retrue the blade of a used knife. It does not sharpen the knife in the sense of subtracting metal and creating the edge of the blade. It takes the blade which is out of alignment, and puts the edge straight again. You can see this if you have a magnifying glass, or if you have a really f*%#'d up knife with dents from hacking at bones, etc. A few passes on the steel and it usually goes back in line and improves in cutting ability.

The two together make a perfect pair. Use the stone to create the real sharpness you are seeking. Then every few uses, days, weeks - up to the amount of wear n tear you put the knife thru - just go ahead and take it to the steel and get that nice edge back in line.

Dat's how da chefs do it !

For me the only way but it takes a while to learn it(how to use it)

Gerd

or watch me in one of my early commercials:

A good oil stone and a good steel are essential for keeping good knives sharp, if you have the luck to either be german or visiting germany you can purchase them both rolled into one in the form of a whetstone for a scythe is used like a steel butis a stoneI,m still using ours which I bought in 80,s Nignoy

Agree with all of the above. All my knives are in great working order, I keep them that way with my trusty steel. With regard to having a knife which rusts up, a wipe with oil when putting in storage is the ideal way. Try different types of oil, cooking oil is seldom the best type to use.

Thank you all for the info. Had a good laugh about your wife's method, Phil.

And Gerd, I watched your CM; you are so cute! And there I thought all this time you were a Rottie (based on your av).

OK, I'm using a 30-yr old Japanese blade I pulled out of storage. It sharpens quickly with a few slides against a plate bottom, but rusts so easily. I used steel wool on it, Tuts, but as soon as it gets wet when I am chopping veg, it rusts up again. :o I rinse and dry it immediately after use, too. Olive oil or machine oil, Tiggy? Then clean it before using?

It was a gift from an old friend so sentimental value, too. Hand worn smooth wooden handle. Guess that's why I don't want to toss it. Plus, it has a certain balance...don't know how to explain it.

if the knife feels good in yer hand that means that it is probably professional quality and designed fer continuous use during the day...most expensive cutlery has the same feel. Same goes fer a lot of other hand tools/implements...when I worked as a mechanic I had professional quality Snap-On tools an' the comfort difference when using cheap Sears-Roebuck bought tools is remarkable...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Good point Gerd. Sharpening does take some learning. And techniques vary almost as much as the materials used to sharpen. In general though, you have 2 ways to keep a knife sharp: The Stone, and The Steel.

The stone is used to sharpen the actual blade, and it does this by subtracting material from it until an angled edge is made.

The steel is actually made of high qualtiy steel and its hardness will retrue the blade of a used knife. It does not sharpen the knife in the sense of subtracting metal and creating the edge of the blade. It takes the blade which is out of alignment, and puts the edge straight again. You can see this if you have a magnifying glass, or if you have a really f*%#'d up knife with dents from hacking at bones, etc. A few passes on the steel and it usually goes back in line and improves in cutting ability.

The two together make a perfect pair. Use the stone to create the real sharpness you are seeking. Then every few uses, days, weeks - up to the amount of wear n tear you put the knife thru - just go ahead and take it to the steel and get that nice edge back in line.

Not just chefs either.Have an uncle that spent a fair amount of time at the meat works.His knives are almost as sharp as a scalpel!!!the most important thing about using the steel after using the stone, is to actually cut the knife onto the stone.this will should you the best edge.

Agree with all of the above. All my knives are in great working order, I keep them that way with my trusty steel. With regard to having a knife which rusts up, a wipe with oil when putting in storage is the ideal way. Try different types of oil, cooking oil is seldom the best type to use.

Yeah, you're probably right tiger, I had it in the back of my mind cooking oil wasn't the go. Possibly contain a little water anyway.

So what would you use? Mineral oil would surely taint the food?

Not just chefs either.Have an uncle that spent a fair amount of time at the meat works.His knives are almost as sharp as a scalpel!!!the most important thing about using the steel after using the stone, is to actually cut the knife onto the stone.this will should you the best edge.

In Smithfield they give their knives to the man in the back of a van who sharpens knives.

Yeah, you're probably right tiger, I had it in the back of my mind cooking oil wasn't the go. Possibly contain a little water anyway.

I used to use 3-in-one oil which was (is) an all round light oil for every purpose. You had to wash the knives in soapy water before you used them.

I used to use 3-in-one oil which was (is) an all round light oil for every purpose. You had to wash the knives in soapy water before you used them.

In Thailand, every little shop has Singer sewing machine oil -- good for squeaky hinges, rusty scissors...that kind of oil? I only have olive oil in my cupboard. Will that do? I am upset that it starts to rust while I am chopping veg. Use an SOS pad to clean the rust and ensure I rinse and dry it right after use. Maybe it is getting too old or feels ready to retire?

In Thailand, every little shop has Singer sewing machine oil -- good for squeaky hinges, rusty scissors...that kind of oil? I only have olive oil in my cupboard. Will that do? I am upset that it starts to rust while I am chopping veg. Use an SOS pad to clean the rust and ensure I rinse and dry it right after use. Maybe it is getting too old or feels ready to retire?

It could be the case that it's due for 'retirement'. However, try the singer oil just to see what happens. Best of luck.

Try high grade olive.......

Many years ago I worked at the meat works in Rockhampton (Queensland Australia), one of the guys showed me the proper way to sharpen knives and he did the stone then steel then used a flat sheet of glass from a louvre window and floated a small amount of oil on it. A few deft slicks across the glass and it took all the micro burrs from the top edge. The difference was extraordinary. Getting back to the original question:

In Australia the laws changed to force everyone in food preparation industries to change over to stainless instead of carbon steel and also the handle had to be food preparation grade plastic. I got a full set of wooden handled, carbon steel knives that I held onto for years.

To HELP prevent the carbon steel knives from rusting use cooking oil, wipe a thin smear over the blade with a clean paper towel. Do NOT use machine oil it will affect the taste of the food and some are poisonous because of the additives. You have to accept the fact that carbon steel will rust and either change to 440 stainless else put up with it.

cooking oil might not be the best

but using a toxic mineral oil

guarantees a trip to the ER

so be careful...

Edited by sensei