Anger over Brexit sparks new grassroots drive for Scottish independence

webfact

15 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Good, she deserves it, although the mitigating remarks from her lawyer make her out to be a very tragic figure.

I am unclear of the relevance to this topic though unless you are suggesting that a party which has had a wayward MP within its ranks should not be considered as trustworthy. That would leave us with very few choices for the next election. 

I understand that her Conservative councillor husband, who personally benefited from her despicable act but was not charged, will continue to be a Conservative councillor. A very odd couple indeed. 

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

Good, she deserves it, although the mitigating remarks from her lawyer make her out to be a very tragic figure.

I am unclear of the relevance to this topic though unless you are suggesting that a party which has had a wayward MP within its ranks should not be considered as trustworthy. That would leave us with very few choices for the next election. 

I understand that her Conservative councillor husband, who personally benefited from her despicable act but was not charged, will continue to be a Conservative councillor. A very odd couple indeed. 

No probs RR, but you mentioned donkeys just before I saw that link ????

Scottish politics/politicians are as ' bent " as the rest of them.
It's a global virus you see..with no known cure[emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, evadgib said:

No probs RR, but you mentioned donkeys just before I saw that link ????

Got you - and a fair point. Although she did get elected in the 2015 GE which saw the SNP get 56 MPs. I doubt anyone could have predicted that overall result, and the quality control was clearly lacking. In her constituency, Glasgow East, the sitting Labour MP had a 12,000 majority and ended up losing to McGarry by over 10,000 votes. I don't think anyone at the top of the party expected her to win. 

9 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

Scottish politics/politicians are as ' bent " as the rest of them.
It's a global virus you see..with no known cureemoji2.pngemoji2.pngemoji2.png

Sadly true, Teddy - but hope springs eternal...

On 5/28/2019 at 1:28 AM, sanemax said:

Yes, I do recall reading that more English people wanted Scottish independence than Scottish people did .

Allow English people to vote next time, and you will definitely get a Yes result 

Weird ; I was watching Russian Television and that quote was read out on one of the programmes  

The next (and next to last) PM of the UK is the gift that just keeps on giving.

Boris Johnson: ‘Scots should not become prime minister’

"Boris Johnson once declared that “government by a Scot is just not conceivable in the current constitutional context”, with the Tory MP claiming Gordon Brown suffered from “a personal political disability” as he represented a constituency north of the Border.

"In the 2005 diary piece in The Spectator, Mr Johnson continued: “Not only is Scotland full of rotten boroughs, where Labour MPs are returned by relatively tiny electorates but, as I never tire of saying, we English MPs can be overruled by Scottish MPs on very controversial questions, affecting our constituents, when we have no corresponding say over those questions in Scotland..."

Oh the irony!

This is genuinely perplexing. Nigel Farage, a man who has flirted with the far right his entire life and who used multiple racial tropes in the Brexit campaign, is calling out the SNP as racists. What does he and Leave.eu expect to accomplish by this? Nobody who has an understanding of Scottish politics believes this SNP = anti-English lies, and there are damned few examples to back it up - so who is he trying to win round? He certainly isn't going to curry any more favour north of the border with these lies and smears.

Screenshot_20190621-084419_Twitter.jpg

This is genuinely perplexing. Nigel Farage, a man who has flirted with the far right his entire life and who used multiple racial tropes in the Brexit campaign, is calling out the SNP as racists. What does he and Leave.eu expect to accomplish by this? Nobody who has an understanding of Scottish politics believes this SNP = anti-English lies, and there are damned few examples to back it up - so who is he trying to win round? He certainly isn't going to curry any more favour north of the border with these lies and smears.
Screenshot_20190621-084419_Twitter.thumb.jpg.679cbfb88a406a041b3feac72f5c8517.jpg
R/r..
Let me tell you that thro my years of living in Glasgow..I can verify that some of the snp members/supporters are English/British hating racists.
That is the truth..in their eyes..all their problems etc are caused by the English/British people.
In their eyes...if Scotland were independent..it would be forever the land of milk and honey where life is oh so wonderful all the time.

37 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Guilty as sin

I think Blackford's brief is to sling as much mud as he can to any opponent, whenever he gets the chance. He's forever griping about something or somebody, frequently gaffes and confuses Brexit with breakfast! 

57 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

R/r..
Let me tell you that thro my years of living in Glasgow..I can verify that some of the snp members/supporters are English/British hating racists.
That is the truth..in their eyes..all their problems etc are caused by the English/British people.
In their eyes...if Scotland were independent..it would be forever the land of milk and honey where life is oh so wonderful all the time.

Just take the word England, and replace it with the EU, and replace the word Scotland with England. And finally replace SNP with Brexiteers.

A perfect summary of English Brexit supporters. Hate the EU, blame it for everything, and think that no deal ushers in a land of milk and honey.

A/r..

We are NOT chatting about Brexit here..give it a rest please.

Just take the word England, and replace it with the EU, and replace the word Scotland with England. And finally replace SNP with Brexiteers.

A perfect summary of English Brexit supporters. Hate the EU, blame it for everything, and think that no deal ushers in a land of milk and honey.

1 minute ago, malagateddy said:

Over 1 million scottish voters voted FOR Brexit..enough of your waffle. Ie..extreme English nationalism.

We have plenty of bigots and racists in Scotland, who bend their knee to the English Queen. We always have had. 

But the point stands ... Brexit is simply little England in the voting booth ... insular and narrow minded. And the areas that rejected it ... Manchester, Liverpool, Oxford, Cambridge, Bath, Bristol, London, are a good deal more outward looking.

1 hour ago, malagateddy said:

R/r..

In exactly the same vein, Teddy, I can verify that some Brexit supporters blah blah blah. 

The photo below shows Nigel Farage enjoying a beer with a friend. The friend is called Joshua Parsons. You can get a little insight into Mr Parsons and his political convictions in this article: Chelsea fans guilty over Paris Metro racism

Now I don't believe that all Brexiteers are racist nor do I agree that racism was the prime motivator behind most who voted to leave the EU - why does a handful of idiots you may have met in the past make Scottish independence any different?

589f033ab80ed_2racistsenjoyingadrinktogether.png.1ba295982fea5802f9c600292ab15f46.png

4 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

In exactly the same vein, Teddy, I can verify that some Brexit supporters blah blah blah. 

The photo below shows Nigel Farage enjoying a beer with a friend. The friend is called Joshua Parsons. You can get a little insight into Mr Parsons and his political convictions in this article: Chelsea fans guilty over Paris Metro racism

Now I don't believe that all Brexiteers are racist nor do I agree that racism was the prime motivator behind most who voted to leave the EU - why does a handful of idiots you may have met in the past make Scottish independence any different?

589f033ab80ed_2racistsenjoyingadrinktogether.png.1ba295982fea5802f9c600292ab15f46.png

If matey isn't a dwarf with a bucket that photo is rigged ????

21 hours ago, AlexRich said:

We have plenty of bigots and racists in Scotland, who bend their knee to the English Queen. We always have had. 

But the point stands ... Brexit is simply little England in the voting booth ... insular and narrow minded. 

The "English Queen", not the British or UK Queen? You are totally oblivious to the fact that your post shows more bigotry, insular and narrow minded thinking than those you disagree with.

And those who bow the knee and show obeisance to a foreign "monarch" are they not racist and bigoted? Perish the thought.

20 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

You may be onto something - small man syndrome!

EDIT: yes, it's true, Josh is a short-arse...

MAIN-Josh-Parsons.jpg

What a nasty, smug and offensive post.

If it is illegal to insult somebody on the basis of race, religion, colour etc why not based on their height. It is another form of disability.

If it is illegal to insult somebody on the basis of race, religion, colour etc why not based on their height. It is another form of disability.

Height is a disability? Are you sure? We all exhibit some form of height so, according to your rather weak attempt to defend the honour of a convicted racist, we are all disabled?

What is the term used so often on TV by certain contributors - snowflake libtards? Oh wait - I see a flaw in that.

That said, you are perfectly entitled to take offence at my post, just as I am entitled to arch an eyebrow at your response. But if that is the most offensive thing you have seen in Brexit this week, you clearly haven't been paying attention.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, rott said:

This was nothing more than light-hearted banter from RR in reply to a similar post from me.

22 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Seriously RR, have you any evidence to prove that Parsons is a "friend" of Nigel Farage, or is he just an opportunist who wanted his photo taken with Nigel Farage. I have looked on the internet and cannot find any indication that they are indeed friends.

Seriously RR, have you any evidence to prove that Parsons is a "friend" of Nigel Farage, or is he just an opportunist who wanted his photo taken with Nigel Farage. I have looked on the internet and cannot find any indication that they are indeed friends.
None Vogie, and you are right to point out that my use of 'friend' was incorrect. As you say, he could easily just be a star struck passerby. In fact, the point I was, perhaps clumsily, trying to make was that a few bad apples are inevitable, and cannot be considered to be representative of an entire movement.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived