Robbed in Bangkok in Broad Daylight

NightSky

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:33 PM, NightSky said:

No I asked how much the fine was for doing nothing wrong and they replied 500baht, interpret that how you may, but what would you have done?

"...he took my licence back to the police box to write out a ticket and left us in the car. I thought I didn’t want official points or whatever on my licence so after about a minute I took 500 baht into the police box and after a final futile attempt at stating my inocence I asked how much..."

He went away to issue a legal ticket.  You then approached him with B500 cash.  Why?  You bribed him. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

after 20 years driving here you'd know that traffic fines are paid after you've been issued a ticket and left and you will get a receipt, they are not paid in the police box! 

I always pay mine through the car window. What's a ticket?

Edited by Spidey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 12:55 AM, NightSky said:

I can say that In the uk I have never been framed by police. 

Based on what you wrote in the OP alone, you have not been "framed" here either.  You committed a traffic offence, then committed the further offence of bribery .  Seems to me that the police were doing it right until you appeared in their box with cash to avoid points!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

Based on what you wrote in the OP alone, you have not been "framed" here either.  You committed a traffic offence, then committed the further offence of bribery .  Seems to me that the police were doing it right until you appeared in their box with cash to avoid points!

I was framed by the police in the UK and they attempted to frame me a second time (saved by CCTV).

Never been framed in Thailand. Just a wave of my wallet and all my problems disappear. RTP = top cops.

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 9:05 AM, NightSky said:

I’m not lying, thanks for your input though.

if you’re  adamant that the police were in their right please elaborate when you think I will receive the receipt for my fine payment and the official reason for the fine being issued, which you know will never arrive because it was a robbery.

Since when do you get a receipt for offering and paying a bribe to avoid points? 

If you'd stayed in your car and accepted the ticket he'd gone to write, you'd have had the reason and when you paid at the police station, or wherever, you'd have been given a receipt.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Since when do you get a receipt for offering and paying a bribe to avoid points? 

If you'd stayed in your car and accepted the ticket he'd gone to write, you'd have had the reason and when you paid at the police station, or wherever, you'd have been given a receipt.

All seems a bit of a hassle to me. Easier to bung the guy a few sovs, smiles all round and drive on.

Cheaper too.

Edited by Spidey
  • Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 9:13 AM, NightSky said:

Onnut road runs for tens of km from past suvarnabhumi airport to Sukhumvit road with police boxes dotted at many intersections so I’m unsure how you can recognise the same intersection. 

You described driving down Onnut towards Sukhumvit and stopping at the lights at the T-junction to turn right where there is a police box.  If it wasn't the Onnut/Suk junction which one was it?

You described driving down Onnut towards Sukhumvit and stopping at the lights at the T-junction to turn right where there is a police box.  If it wasn't the Onnut/Suk junction which one was it?

He was probably too pissed to remember. TiT.

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

There's enough holes in it already, he doesn't need to gratuitously add any more.

We need more holes. Holes are what I came to Thailand for. And cheap motoring fines, of course.

On 4/27/2019 at 9:07 AM, asiaexpat said:
On 4/26/2019 at 9:13 AM, NightSky said:

If there was a solid white line on the road which my wife just also agreed there wasn’t and I’ve never noticed one in the decade I’ve been driving down that road then it wasn’t visible, although I am 100% sure there isn’t a line there.

Onnut road runs for tens of km from past suvarnabhumi airport to Sukhumvit road with police boxes dotted at many intersections so I’m unsure how you can recognise the same intersection. 

Well, on the inbound to Suk side of Onnut there is only one Police box between Lat Krabang and Suk, so it was easy to figure out. Your statement is incorrect but I do understand the frustration of paying at the Police Box, should have gone to the Police Station. Also, every intersection with a traffic light except Srinakarin and Onnut has this same solid white line. Better luck next time.

@ NightSky.... you still haven't posted the exact location (i.e. screen print of google maps?)... Why is this?...   You've obviously had time to come back on ThaiVisa.com and continue this interesting debate, yet you have not presented the one single piece of evidence which would back up your claims... (i.e. A screen print of the junctions from google Maps, where the Police Box is also present)....  

Could it be that the you changed lanes across a line and Google Maps shows this?

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:08 PM, NightSky said:

Ahem please read the op again, I’m not complaining I was asking a question and I confirm no money was ever waved in front of anyone’s face as you suggest.

"id actually broken no laws and done nothing wrong at all and I was basically robbed by the police in broad daylight. I thought these are the very people who are meant to protect us from thieves and it reminded me just how little protection we have here at all".

From your OP, that sounds just like a complaint.

Edited by Just Weird

5 minutes ago, NightSky said:

Don't worry I wont be sharing any other life experiences with you thats for sure.

So you won't be sharing the story about the ladyboy and the bottle of coconut oil? Pity, would have made a much more interesting thread.

Edited by Spidey

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 5:08 PM, NightSky said:

Although those images are not the junctions in question and do not have the bumper to bumper traffic obscuring all road markings either.

Bumper to bumper traffic obscuring all road markings does not mean that they can be ignored!

Bumper to bumper traffic obscuring all road markings does not mean that they can be ignored!

Can someone picking holes in someone else's story, ad nauseum, for no apparent reason, be ignored?

• Thanks 1

Who are you to decide what the law is or isnt ? This is Thailand and the laws are NOT the same as they are back in Gunther land . Get over it 500 b now and again is far better than the crap we have to put up with driving in the UK . Those MOTs are literally THEFT . 

• Like 2

Its been an interesting thread... 

But to put this one to bed properly the Op needs to show a Google Maps photo of the specific junction to prove he did not make a traffic infraction. 

The Op says he wasn't paying full attention (hence he ended up in the wrong lane) - No biggie

The Op Says he definitely didn't break any traffic laws and didn't cross an unbroken white line

The Op has also said it was bumper to bumper traffic and didn't see the lines on the road

There is a lack of consistency... Op - Just post a picture of the junction... Its not that hard.

This has been a good thread, lots of opinions, plenty to learn from that we can all get caught out so easily by poor markings etc and the Police like to pounce on people etc.. 

On 4/25/2019 at 7:07 PM, KhaoYai said:

If you know you've done nothing wrong, stand your ground and call their bluff - always works for me.  I've 'paid' once and on that occasion I was in the wrong - my Mrs didn't have her seat belt on.  The usual one when you resist is "Oh, we go see big boss then" - I say fine and lock up the car - not failed yet.

I had this changing lanes crap years ago up in Ubon - changing lanes?? The cop had to be joking, the bloody traffic was chaos and all over the place. In any case, I was in the right hand lane which had a straight on arrow painted on the tarmac. As I approached the next set of lights, the arrow changed to a right turn one so I indicated and moved over to the left.  I told him he should get a job on TV as a joker - he waved me on.

Ah the good old farang logic argument in the face of Thai bureaucratic corruption -mai pben rai jai yen jai yen.......

Pay them like I pay all the bar girls...Big brown envelopes for everyone fixed all my problems like they never happened. PERFECT solution. Everyone leaves with a happy ending.  YOU win- I win

• Like 1