Pheu Thai candidate dismisses allegations, demands review of ‘orange card’

snoop1130

Pheu Thai candidate dismisses allegations, demands review of ‘orange card’

By The Nation

93797a6463cbdf2eae1e7091abf8e5e0.jpeg

File photo : Surapon Kietchaiyakorn

A Pheu Thai candidate, suspended by the Election Commission (EC) on Friday for allegedly buying votes during the March 24 election campaign, dismissed the allegations and demanded that his case be reviewed. 

Surapon Kietchaiyakorn, who led in Chiang Mai’s Constituency 8 with 52,165 votes, insisted that he did not break any election laws by donating money to a monk in Chiang Mai during the campaign period. 

“I met the monk at a temple and made the donation from my personal money. I have met this monk many times before and have revered him for a long time. How can I buy votes anyway, when according to the Constitution, monks cannot vote?” Suraphon queried. 

He asked the EC to review the case in detail for the sake of justice and fairness.

The EC on Wednesday slapped Surapon with an “orange card”, stripping him of his electoral rights for a year for allegedly violating election laws.

The poll agency also ordered a re-election in his constituency. This is the first card issued by the EC since the election. 

The decision to have him suspended was the result of a report from the Chiang Mai branch of the EC, which claimed he was campaigning for votes while talking to the monk, Surapon said. 

“I want to reiterate that when I spoke to the monk and gave him money on that day, I did it on a personal basis and it had nothing to do with the election campaign,” he said. 

He added that he had gone to the temple with his driver, did not distribute any election pamphlets, did not use a loud speaker and did not even wear the election jersey. 

“I did not discuss the election at all. We only spoke about merit making,” he said, adding that the allegations were untrue and that the EC headquarters should review the decision and ensure justice. 

The politician added that the people who voted for him can confirm about his hard work in the past and that he has never abused power, adding that he will file a motion with the EC to review the orange card.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30368419

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-26

A lot of politicians getting caught up for some petty issues. It seems the ones that received a lot of votes and are popular with the people.

Are there any cases of Prayuts party members having any issues or are they all above board?

Anyone hear the result of the investigation of his brothers wife having all that military money that she said she was just “ minding” for the army four years back?

22 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

He added that he had gone to the temple with his driver, did not distribute any election pamphlets, did not use a loud speaker and did not even wear the election jersey. 

That is irrelevant, you WON the most votes.

That is against Junta (a.k.a EC) rules.

10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“I want to reiterate that when I spoke to the monk and gave him money on that day, I did it on a personal basis and it had nothing to do with the election campaign,

And it was not in any way that the monk would "spread the news" when his victims visited the temple to  pass on the "who to vote for news"

1 hour ago, gunderhill said:

And it was not in any way that the monk would "spread the news" when his victims visited the temple to  pass on the "who to vote for news"

Come on now. The EC have got this guy dead to rights. It's well known that monks are huge influence peddlers in the community or else why would millions of misguided Thai womenfolk be traipsing to their local temple twice a month to get their 'lucky' number from the saffron-robed one?

"Try 666... and make sure you vote for [insert Thaksin proxy here]. Next..."

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Come on now. The EC have got this guy dead to rights. It's well known that monks are huge influence peddlers in the community or else why would millions of misguided Thai womenfolk be traipsing to their local temple twice a month to get their 'lucky' number from the saffron-robed one?

Among the thousands of candidates, how many made merit during the month preceding elections and gave money and presents to monks? My guess would be all of them.

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Well known? Then it should primarily be illegal. But I don’t think so in this case. 

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Wow! To regularly criticize other members for generalizing Thais and then to do so yourself.

That’s special. 

16 hours ago, RobMuir said:

A lot of politicians getting caught up for some petty issues. It seems the ones that received a lot of votes and are popular with the people.

Are there any cases of Prayuts party members having any issues or are they all above board?

Anyone hear the result of the investigation of his brothers wife having all that military money that she said she was just “ minding” for the army four years back?

Why are they not investigating the army giving out money for votes at 1000's of election stations?? Everybody knows it went on. Could not be more blatant!!

Was this a private personal donation to a revered monk or was the donation made with great fanfare and publicized widely amongst his constituents? It makes a difference as far as I am concerned. 

9 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Tut, tut. Didn't you know all PTP politicians are honest, ethical, deeply religious and only in politics to selflessly serve the people?

The Shin fan boys will be along to reprimand you for such an outrageous idea.

2 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

Why are they not investigating the army giving out money for votes at 1000's of election stations?? Everybody knows it went on. Could not be more blatant!!

Because this case isn't about the army, or other who were allegedly trying to buy votes. It about one person in one constituency who admits he did what he's been accused of but says it isn't wrong.

20 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Because this case isn't about the army, or other who were allegedly trying to buy votes. It about one person in one constituency who admits he did what he's been accused of but says it isn't wrong.

Can monks vote? 

Anyway, if I were a monk, and if I were the sort of person who could be bought, I’d want a lot more than 2000 baht and a clock to to promote a candidate in an election. A hell of a lot more. 

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

Can monks vote? 

Anyway, if I were a monk, and if I were the sort of person who could be bought, I’d want a lot more than 2000 baht and a clock to to promote a candidate in an election. A hell of a lot more. 

Right. Not even enough to change his iPhone for a newest version.

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

and... in any country with a normal independent justice system, he indeed would have done absolutely nothing wrong. The EC is beyond any doubt trying to tip the scale so that the coalition that was formed after the elections will loose it majority. Nothing more and nothing less.

Independent justice system, law, and rule of law, concepts foreign to the junta fanboys. 

19 minutes ago, chama said:

So it is alright to use the tax payers money to buy votes but not your own?

Yes, obviously because the tax payers money is owned and controlled by the good people and thus they don't need to buy votes (or anything else) with their "own money". Anybody doing so clearly doesn't have access to the proper crowdsourced funding of the good people, making them bad people. And bad people do bad things.

Now, I wonder... Since Lil' P isn't superstitious at all and doesn't even carry a shitload of gold trinkets around his neck all the time, I guess he hasn't spent any money during the whole farce election on merits to get himself a peace of mind and a sense of good luck.. right?

This country needs an enema.

Archived