Anyone uses mini air compressor like this?

Poppadom

At that price you can't go far wrong, 90% of them come from the same factory in China anyway so branding really doesn't matter.

We have a bigger 2HP unit, 50L tank 200L/min, branded "Jet", it's not oil-less mind, it was about 3k Baht IIRC.

Probably one of the more useful tools we have. Car tyres, bicycle tyres, nail-gun (quickly tacking wood things, also does concrete), air duster (clean out your PC), footballs, inflatable toys / party balloons (use the air duster), it will handle a small spray-gun (enter new hobby of air-brush art).

Don't expect industrial performance or life, but for domestic use, go for it.

• Like 2

I use a MotoPumps Air Shot that I bought from Panda Rider. I don't remember the price but probably around 2k THB. I've used it for a range of bikes and it always performed well. It's nice that it comes with a little pouch to package everything nice and tidy. MotoPumps has a bigger one with built in gauge but that wasn't available at the time.

MotoPumps-Air-Shot-Kit-2.jpeg

Seems like Panda has now another brand, MotoPressor with a built in pressure gauge (LCD) for 2.5k THB:

http://pandarider.com/Panda/Product_Rocky.htm

The one from your Lazada link is way too big and cumbersome if all you want to do is inflate motorbike/car tires.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Poppadom said:

We've got one of those 12vDC ones already:

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.FJye

My problem with this is that you've got to start up the car to operate it. While the compressor I linked is indeed bigger, you can simply put it in a corner and use a 9-12m coiled air hose and reach any vehicle in that radius.

Fair enough tradeoff. I have a SEA extension cord on my adventure bike so I can plug the pump into that easily from the outside and can then inflate its own tires or another bikes by just parking it next to it. Not as flexible as a several meter long hose but its tiny enough to always take with me on longer trips.

There are a lot of these listed by different sellers but they all look like they come from the same factory.

Last year I restored a vintage car and wanted to do my own spray paint.

I bought a model that looks exactly the same as yours but the brand is ETOP.  I buy a lot of stuff on lazada and did a thorough search for the cheapest at the time but I recall I paid about 2300 baht for mine so it looks like the price has come down a bit.  There was certainly nothing under 2000 baht like the 1680 bargain you have found.

I used it to power a HVLP spray gun.

Pros

• Certainly large enough if you just want to inflate your car and bike tyres
  • It will also run a spray gun if you need to
  • Not too big, the tank is a bit over two foot long (I store mine under my computer desk)
  • Not very loud when running.  I did a lot of my paintwork after dark and no complaints from the neighbours
  • Can get hot and cut out (see cons below for more details)
  • Solid and low tech construction and design
  • Can buy replacement parts at most good mum and pop building and hardware stores out in the boondocks

Cons

• The outlet pipe has a tap on it but just a threaded end.  You will have to but a female socket and screw it on so that you can connect a air hose
  • The pressure switch is very poor quality and only has adjustment on the cut out.  Most quality compressors (in farang land) have adjustment on the cut out and cut in pressures.  
  • When it arrives from the factory they have the cut out pressure set quiet low (around 7kpa by memory). This is not enough to run even a LP gun
  • The pressure on the blow off valve is quite low.  I cranked the cut out pressure up as high as I could and adjusted it to cut out just as air started to leak from the blow off valve.  The maximum tank pressure I can get is just under 10kpa
  • There is a big (non adjustable) gap between cut in and cut out.  When using my gun the tank pressure would have to drop down to about 6.5 kpa before the compressor would cut back in. And because of the smaller tank volume sometime this would cause problems because my gun did not have enough pressure for effective atomisation
  • If you google around you will find a couple of (Indian?) youtube clips showing you how to adjust the pressure switch (cutout only, remember there is no cut in)
  • I wanted to replace the cut out switch with one that had both cut out and cut in adjustment but couldn't find one in any of the store close to my home.  If you are in Bangkok or another urban centre you may have better luck than me.  I did find that I could buy the same switch as the one already on the unit at my local store for about 150 baht
  • I don't know how long it will last before falling to bits.  I don't use mine much now that I have finished my car

Utility

• I sprayed three coats of undercoat and 5 top coats on my car.  Result was ok but running the little compressor at its maximum limits.  Because of the low price I viewed it as a disposable purchase anyway
  • But it is still running fine and now I use it to inflate tires and also the occasional pool toy
  • I hadn't run it for a month or so and just fired it up then to get the kpa reading I referred to above.  Seems to be still going strong

Hidden costs

• You will have to buy a female connector to screw on to the compressor so that you can connect your air hose
  • You will also want to get yourself a chuck (the thing you blow tyres up with), an air gun (for cleaning dust from your computer), air hose with stainless connectors, and a HVLP spray gun.
  • Make sure you check out the quality and prices of these items at your local shops first.  I found that I was able to buy better quality items, and at a cheaper price, from my local store rather than from lazada. I bought my first gun from lazada but it was dead on arrival (bent adjustment spindle).  I bought a great little gun at a local store for less than what I paid for the lazada item
  • Don't get a tyre chuck with a gauge on it.  They always break anyway and they are often too cumbersome to squeeze in to put air in a motorbike tyre.  The rear wheel on a honda click is a relevant example.
  • Just get a small stainless steel chuck that fits in your hand. They are bullet proof, child proof, and mooching Thai neighbour proof.  I wasn't able to find any listed on lazada but got a really good one from a local store for 90 baht.

I think you should grab one.

PM me if you want any more info.

Edited by Khaeng Mak
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Khaeng Mak said:

Ridden bikes my whole life.  Never seen this gadget.  Great idea. Have you used one.

dad had an equivalent one back on the farm, decades ago...

ther only time it is useless, is if you were out with a Diesel

hmmm be booggered if one has a diesel motorbike eh! heh heh...

Edited by tifino

I have one, "Etop Oil free" use it in my workshop with nailgun (upto 30mm) for tacking small timber. Also used for spraying garden furniture etc. Nice easy little tool never let me down yet. Only used occasionally and light use which what I think the intended purpose was.

At the price paid its ideal for my use and makes things much easier.

ImageCorp_20190428115010.jpg

• Like 1

Years ago I had one of those 12V mini-air compressors, but it didn't really provide enough air flow for using an air-brush. for anything other than very fine art-work.

So I took an old spare wheel and tyre from a car, and drilled a 2nd valve hole in the rim to fit a 2nd valve (with no internals).

I could then use the compressor to "pump up the tyre" to around 40-45 psi, and then use the 2nd (empty) valve to supply the air-brush so it could give me a bit more flow & smooth out the pressure fluctuations.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, steve73 said:

Years ago I had one of those 12V mini-air compressors, but it didn't really provide enough air flow for using an air-brush. for anything other than very fine art-work.

So I took an old spare wheel and tyre from a car, and drilled a 2nd valve hole in the rim to fit a 2nd valve (with no internals).

I could then use the compressor to "pump up the tyre" to around 40-45 psi, and then use the 2nd (empty) valve to supply the air-brush so it could give me a bit more flow & smooth out the pressure fluctuations.

Clever idea.  You basically created your own holding tank.  

57 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I have one, "Etop Oil free" use it in my workshop with nailgun (upto 30mm) for tacking small timber. Also used for spraying garden furniture etc. Nice easy little tool never let me down yet. Only used occasionally and light use which what I think the intended purpose was.

At the price paid its ideal for my use and makes things much easier.

ImageCorp_20190428115010.jpg

That is the same as mine and a good bit cheaper than what I paid.

• Like 1

We had a Chinese oil less compressor on our packaging machine for almost two years and it slowly started to self destruct from the heads down to the start capacitors. I would recommend these very quiet machines for light DIY work though. We now have a custom setup using similar Chinese oil free compressor.

The Old Wong Hing Foo Etop special now sits in the office as a standby.

oldcomp.jpg.fdb16b2464f2d13a9223c9953afc90c8.jpg

@Khaeng Mak thank you for the elaborate and informative post, much appreciated.

Intended use is mainly inflating tires and other inflatables ???? As well as blowing air out of air con internals after cleaning, so mainly light use it had been meant for.

Planning to get a compressor unit, a female connector, a hose and a tire inflator (the Chinese one with digital display) and an air blow gun with male quick release fitting for starters.

I really like this kind of tire inflator (displays to 0.1 PSI accuracy), because all the other ones I saw with analogue gauges, the scaling goes up to 100-160 PSI and the maximum I'd be using is 42 so accurate reading is difficult.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/high-precision-digital-tire-pressure-gauge-for-car-motorcycle-suv-and-small-and-medium-sized-van-inflated-pumps-deflated-tire-repair-tools-pressure-g-u-n-with-lock-on-nozzle-i165169810-s201027782.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.5.76df64447AvuKV&search=1

1 minute ago, Poppadom said:

Intended use is mainly inflating tires and other inflatables ???? As well as blowing air out of air con internals after cleaning, so mainly light use it had been meant for.

Oh and most importantly, I will need it for the more frequent chain cleaning in the rainy season. ????

2 hours ago, Poppadom said:

Planning to get a compressor unit, a female connector, a hose and a tire inflator (the Chinese one with digital display) and an air blow gun with male quick release fitting for starters.

I really like this kind of tire inflator (displays to 0.1 PSI accuracy), because all the other ones I saw with analogue gauges, the scaling goes up to 100-160 PSI and the maximum I'd be using is 42 so accurate reading is difficult.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/high-precision-digital-tire-pressure-gauge-for-car-motorcycle-suv-and-small-and-medium-sized-van-inflated-pumps-deflated-tire-repair-tools-pressure-g-u-n-with-lock-on-nozzle-i165169810-s201027782.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.5.76df64447AvuKV&search=1

My advice is do not get a hi tech tire chuck.  Low tech is always best here in the third world.  Just get one of the small stainless chucks like I described in my post.  And then if you want a tyre pressure gauge buy a separate one.  Also consider getting a spray gun as well.  As Charlie H has already suggested the unit is good for spraying furniture, gates or other such household items is you have a little spray gun in your quiver also.

There is a drain on the bottom of the tank.  Make sure you regularly drain the condensation that will accumulate over time in the tank.

At my local household items shop I got a cast aluminum air gun with a trigger and a number of fittings including a short and long needle nose and also a fitting to blow up footballs.  The whole shebang was less than 80 baht and works a treat.

Ridden bikes my whole life.  Never seen this gadget.  Great idea. Have you used one.

During the compression stroke wouldn’t the air fuel mixture be pumped into your tire? That doesn’t seem right. Is it April fools?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk