consecutive contracts

Hi,
I was hired for a year and then received a consecutive contract for another year.
Now I heard that this is technically illegal and in fact any continuous employment over one year makes one a permanent employee.

I was told that upon the end of my 2nd contract, should the company not extend the contract, I would thus technically be fired and as a result would have to be compensated.

From what I could read so far this is not true.

However I've gathered that should the company choose to terminate the contract prematurely I should be eligible for a severence pay of 90 days instead of the 30 days that the one year contract period might suggest.

Any insights are very welcome ????
cheers!

Edited by rideride

Not knowing the particular circumstances, I'd go to the labor department and ask them. If they decide that there's something wrong, you can go to an office located in the city hall ( sorry forgot the name in Thai) where they'll help you out and even give you a free lawyer. A friend of mine in a similar situation did that twice and finally received more than he thought.  

Unfortunately, are many contracts not worth the paper they are written on, so go for it!