Trump pulling U.S. out of U.N. arms treaty, heeding NRA

rooster59

1 hour ago, atyclb said:

when i was growing up it did mean something.

Yep. Back on the late 60s early 70s it stood for freedom and civil rights and one could forgive it for its panegyrics to Stalin. Now it stands for Stalinism.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Yep. Back on the late 60s early 70s it stood for freedom and civil rights and one could forgive it for its panegyrics to Stalin. Now it stands for Stalinism.

Back up your claim, is it not a nonsensical inflammatory falsehood

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

What panegyrics to Stalin? I don't recall the left being thrilled about the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia, for example. And yet Stalin was praised? Utter nonsense and a glaring lie.

What makes your comment even more ridiculous was back then even the Soviet Union held Stalin in disrepute. It's under Putin, Trump's good friend, that Stalin's reputation is being rehabilitated.

Edited by bristolboy
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

What? You are telling me that the #Metoo movement as pushed by the Times insnt Stalinist? As well as their positions on such things as global warming....

Sorry dude, but the left has been as bad as the right in terms of things like freedom and liberty.

Clearly someone who has an extremely hysterical understanding of Stalinism.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

My word means nothing until history reads this topic in a hundred years. History is history. The Times is opinion.

The opinion piece is based on fact.  It is still opinion, yes.

As far as your reply, it’s completely open ended, after all,  anyone can interpret anything in any way, and everyone has their own reality.  So this answer can basically be a rebuttal  to almost any argument ???? there are large groups of conspiracy theorists, but that doesn’t make their historical views practical or plausible-research and reason are involved in intellectual conclusions.  You might want study the backgrounds of the founders of the country, and get a context of the intent of the US Constitution, and those involved in the amendments-that is historical context.  History is history?  History will read?  I know you’re tired

10 hours ago, bristolboy said:

What panegyrics to Stalin? I don't recall the left being thrilled about the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia, for example. And yet Stalin was praised? Utter nonsense and a glaring lie.

What makes your comment even more ridiculous was back then even the Soviet Union held Stalin in disrepute. It's under Putin, Trump's good friend, that Stalin's reputation is being rehabilitated.

i had lunch today with a russian friend i had not seen for a couple of years. now on holiday in thailand. i asked him what russian people think about the claimed . trump-putin connection/collusion/whatever.  he said russian people laugh about it and think it is idiotic furthermore they don't understand how any american people can actually believe it.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, atyclb said:

i had lunch today with a russian friend i had not seen for a couple of years. now on holiday in thailand. i asked him what russian people think about the claimed . trump-putin connection/collusion/whatever.  he said russian people laugh about it and think it is idiotic furthermore they don't understand how any american people can actually believe it.

It's a good thing the Russian people have access to free and open news media and that being a journalist who displeases Putin means you are safe from being harassed, imprisoned, and even murdered. 

Edited by bristolboy

55 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

It's a good thing the Russian people have access to free and open news media and that being a journalist who displeases Putin means you are safe from being harassed, imprisoned, and even murdered. 

yes, too bad russians cannot enjoy  "obama like champion of free press", freedoms

"Obama, whose administration prosecuted and spied on reporters, claims Trump is very bad for criticizing newsrooms

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/obama-whose-administration-prosecuted-and-spied-on-reporters-claims-trump-is-very-bad-for-criticizing-newsrooms

Edited by atyclb
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, atyclb said:

yes, too bad russians cannot enjoy  "obama like champion of free press", freedoms

"Obama, whose administration prosecuted and spied on reporters, claims Trump is very bad for criticizing newsrooms

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/obama-whose-administration-prosecuted-and-spied-on-reporters-claims-trump-is-very-bad-for-criticizing-newsrooms

Yes, there was a huge shortage of criticism of Obama during his administration. Now if only the USA had something like fox news. And then there was the murder of reporters hostile to the government and the shutting down of independent news organizations. Horrific what went on in the Obama administration. 

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Well, if the USA had something like Fox News then your argument about the lack of press freedom in the USA would be rendered ridiculous. But since that apparently is not the case...

Claiming that Fox is a news channel is somewhat ludicrous. They are an opinion channel, with a bit of insignificant reality thrown in at times.

No serious news channel would employ Megan Kelly, IMO.

• Like 2

On 4/28/2019 at 7:22 AM, bluesofa said:

From just googling that now, yes it seems that 64% of US gun deaths are suicide, I had no idea.

There's still a significant percentage left of presumably mostly innocent people murdered. Even though I accept that some of those could be self-defence, there must be a lot lives lost through the easy availability of weapons.

300,000 to 3 million violent crimes PREVENTED each year in USA by armed citizens.

Do the math.

7 hours ago, papa al said:

300,000 to 3 million violent crimes PREVENTED each year in USA by armed citizens.

Do the math.

An interesting case of network effect in the old economy. The more criminals having access to guns, the more citizen will buy them to defend themselves.  The more citizen owning guns, the more guns/more powerful arms criminals will buy. 

Jeff Bezos must be jealous!

13 minutes ago, candide said:

An interesting case of network effect in the old economy. The more criminals having access to guns, the more citizen will buy them to defend themselves.  The more citizen owning guns, the more guns/more powerful arms criminals will buy. 

Jeff Bezos must be jealous!

Do you think if we disarmed the criminals first that would be a good idea?