Depressed taxi driver climbs phone tower for 7 hours

Rimmer

image.png

PATTAYA:--It took seven hours, but a depressed motorcycle taxi driver who climbed a 10-story cellphone tower in Nong Plalai climbed down safely.

Athid Suanok, 35, scaled the tower early April 25, claiming he was scared of being shot. Neither pleading by his father, Sangim Suanok, 72, nor cajoling by relatives could convince him to come down.

Authorities arrived with an aerial truck and brought Sangim up to talk to his son and give him water and cigarettes. Still no luck.

Sangim said his son has been depressed and had gone out that morning to collect mangoes. Next thing he heard, Athid had climbed the tower.

Read more: https://www.pattayamail.com/news/depressed-taxi-driver-climbs-phone-tower-for-7-hours-253454

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-04-28--

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, legend49 said:

Who cares?

I do! And Rimmer (OP) obviously does, to post these human/humane stories.

Reminds me a bit of that 'fad' a few years back when people would spends weeks on end up a pole (pole squatting). The world record is astounding; something like 11 years on top of a pole. Near where I used to live in London, an Irishman was buried alive for about 6 months. I went along to see what all the fuss was about, but the queue to get into the buriel ground was massive. I went to the pub instead.

Got interested in these records a few years back. The one that intrigued me the most was the lady who would eat razor blades.

Edited by owl sees all
inserted 'human'
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Sangim said his son has been depressed and had gone out that morning to collect mangoes. Next thing he heard, Athid had climbed the tower.

Bet it made him more depressed when he realised that mangoes don't grow on pylons & the view was cr@p!

The title misled me.  I was under the misapprehension that the person concerned was climbing the tallest phone tower in the world.  However, before reading the text I checked with the Guinness Book of Records and could not find a phone tower anywhere in the world that would take that long to scale.

'nuf sed.

2 hours ago, essox essox said:

this is vital NEWS for all of us !!!

Is "vital news"  (whatever that means) the only reporting that should be published, then? 

If you don't like it (and the title gives you a pretty good idea of what the content is likely to be) don't read it and certainly don't assume that you speak for "all of us"!

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

This is a way of screaming for help, there's nothing particularly "Thai" about it.

Normally I would agree, but this is the only country I know about reporting about similar incidents,  climbing a tower and being a depressed Thai male.
Search for it , must have happened a dozen of times. Maybe because of easy access to phone towers? Who knows. 

On 4/28/2019 at 8:52 PM, Rimmer said:

taxi driver climbs phone tower for 7 hours

I heard that cellphone signal in Nong Plalai has been pretty weak lately but obviously it's pretty strong if you climb on top of a network tower. I get that!

What I don't get is the 7-hour phone call!

Edited by pattayadude