How Thais test their luck – twice a month

webfact

How Thais test their luck – twice a month

Lottery.png

At least twice a month –- on the first and sixteenth days – millions of Thais hope and pray that their fortune will change.

They are glued to their TV set or mobile phones, anxiously waiting for lottery results praying for a miracle.

Thais are increasingly addicted to lottery. The National Statistical Office of Thailand reveals that 47 percent of Thai families played lottery and lotto in 2017, up from 11 percent in 2009.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/how-thais-test-their-luck-twice-a-month/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-04-29

Very true I have often wondered about the structure of the underground lottery. SIL ran it upcountry for years never bothered in fact once when an attempted scam was pulled she called in the army, no questions raised about the lottery itself.

• Like 2

A very timely post for me ???? today.

Been with my gf 3 years in her village, all good so far. In that time we have only bought about 3 x 80 Baht tickets between us in the national lottery with no success. 

However a month or so ago she staked 150 Baht in the local one with a neighbour and won 5400 Baht, and her friend with a lower stake won 600 Baht. The owner of the scheme barred her from playing again but there are many others running the same in the village. 

Now they are obsessed. The following fortnight she staked less, 50 Baht, but still won 1200 Baht while her friend staked 1200 and won 10,000 Baht. Now they are convinced they can win every time, and are now buying the national lottery tickets in the hope of winning millions as well as a stake in the local one.

While it would be great if she won (apparently she will gift me 1 million ???? ) I am pretty sure they won't and I personally hope they don't win so the winning streak can be viewed as just that. 

It doesn't help that 2 years ago her brother who lives with us now, left the local temple after being head monk for 15 years, bought his first ticket ever and won 500k Baht off the bat!

All she is talking about today is how she will spend the winnings. I wait with baited breath!

Another downside is she is now viewed as 'lucky' and several people are asking her to pick their numbers, this may not end well!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The other day a Thai friend called and said that he had a dream about me, and now he wished to know my car registration number, and buy a lottery ticket with that number. A few days later he showed up with two magnum bottles of red wine – he had won a price of several thousand bath – so choosing number by superstitious luck works, also for me, even I don't spend a dime, or rather a satang, on Thai lottery tickets...????

Anyone that wish to "rent" my car registration number are welcome send a PM, preferably with two bottles of red wine attached...????????

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

I'm not allowed to partake in the UK lottery as I live in Thailand; same with the state pension punishment.

You can if you set up a Direct Debit while you are in UK, or on a UK based PC.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

I'm not allowed to partake in the UK lottery as I live in Thailand; same with the state pension punishment.

You're not allowed similarly to participate in the UK's state pension?  Maybe you should have paid some contributions?

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Thais are increasingly addicted to lottery. The National Statistical Office of Thailand reveals that 47 percent of Thai families played lottery and lotto in 2017,

6 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Far higher than 47% as the statistics do not include the widespread illegal lottery, run on saner lines as you can pick your numbers instead of hunting for them.

Read the link, the stats do include the underground "lotto"!

13 hours ago, PatOngo said:

On the other hand, how many test their luck everyday getting behind the wheel of a vehicle or riding a motocy?

Well you do also if you live here. Everyday. 

Or are you different?

12 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Far higher than 47% as the statistics do not include the widespread illegal lottery, run on saner lines as you can pick your numbers instead of hunting for them.

The “Huay” illegal lottery is a bigger problem than the official lottery. It causes more problems as people bet more on it. No one just bets 80-100 baht. More people seem to chase the losses also.

A good friend of mine was selling it, and with the massive house advantage made a lot of money every two weeks for years. Paid off the local coppers 4000 per month. (From what I could figure out the house advantage is 30%.)

They play with two or three number combos. There is no “1st division”

She bought a new car, was living it up but she didn’t lay off always and come massively unstuck one week and couldn’t pay out. She took too much on the winning numbers.

Normally with the high house advantage it didn’t matter but was completely wiped out in one go, ended up borrowing money to pay out, couldn’t cover bets the following week and went broke, lost the car etc 

I assume some people who do it would lay off properly and would be making a fortune.

if I was thai I would sell it for sure.

I'm pretty sure that the underground lottery operators are inluential enough to ensure that a modern lottery system hasn't been introduced.

And I'm sure many TV readers have watched the Thai lottery on TV? If there's one programme that might actually benefit from some slapstick accompanied by whistles and boings this is it!

Edited by madmitch
  • Haha 1

an absolute rip off.same cost as uk but can't win nowhere near the uk prize and by the sounds of it more people play in Thailand than the uk.someone somewhere is on a good one.i would rather put my money on shergar winning next years Derby.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Just Weird said:

You're not allowed similarly to participate in the UK's state pension?  Maybe you should have paid some contributions?

I don't understand what you're talking about.  I worked as a UK teacher for 39 years naturally paying my monthly dues.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

But when I win will they confiscate my millions?

No, read the rules. It says specifically that you are eligible.

I do it but have never won YET!

Under £50k they will pay out automatically to your NL account. Over that, it is by hand.

21 hours ago, wgdanson said:

No, read the rules. It says specifically that you are eligible.

I do it but have never won YET!

Under £50k they will pay out automatically to your NL account. Over that, it is by hand.

But I haven't got a NL account?  So if I win over £4,000,000 they are going to count it into my hand?  I think somebody needs to read the rules again.

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

But I haven't got a NL account?  So if I win over £4,000,000 they are going to count it into my hand?  I think somebody needs to read the rules again.

You cannot do the lottery online via a Direct Debit without an account, and of course, you cannot go to the local shop to buy a ticket if you are not in UK.

I DID read the rules before I participated, and posted here.

Edited by wgdanson

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 6:47 AM, mikebell said:

I don't understand what you're talking about.  I worked as a UK teacher for 39 years naturally paying my monthly dues.

You categorically stated that you are "not allowed to partake in the UK lottery as I live in Thailand; same with the state pension"...  

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 6:24 AM, mikebell said:

Because you said that you were not allowed to participate in the state pension, same as the UK lottery, I assumed that you hadn't paid contributions because not paying contributions is the only way that would not allow you "to participate in the state pension". 

Perhaps you shouldn't have said that you're not allowed to partake in the state pension when you actually are.

Edited by Just Weird

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 12:46 PM, wgdanson said:

You can if you set up a Direct Debit while you are in UK, or on a UK based PC.

If it's found that you're not physically located in the UK, and don't think that checks won't be made, you will not be eligible for a prize. 

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 1:41 AM, happy chappie said:

an absolute rip off.same cost as uk but can't win nowhere near the uk prize and by the sounds of it more people play in Thailand than the uk.someone somewhere is on a good one.i would rather put my money on shergar winning next years Derby.

"an absolute rip off"

A potential B3,000,000 for an B80 stake?  What sort of "rip-off" do you see there?

"someone somewhere is on a good one"

Well, you right there, the government and the charities! But, then, that's the idea of a national lottery, to make a profit!

"i would rather put my money on shergar winning next years Derby".

You've got a strange understanding of odds, you'd prefer to have no chance of winning as opposed to a some chance?  Brilliant.

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 6:49 AM, mikebell said:

But when I win will they confiscate my millions?

No, they won't confiscate "your winnings" because until your eligibility has been confirmed the money is not yours, they will just keep their own money.  You won't be paid, though, if they know your not in the UK.