Before raid, 'seasteaders' planned floating resort off Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

Sorry, I left it out of the last post, .... "Rich" Criminals ... (That have probably ripped a lot of us just ordinary people off !!! ) .... So I am with the Thai Navy.

Edited by Mark mark

18 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

You are joking, right?

A bunch of alternative currency cowboys going to operate 'sea villages, undersea restaurants and hotels" ? Yeah right. With rigorous safety and well trained employees no doubt. And just pitch them wherever they fancy?

Been watching Kevin Costner's crap film Sea World, or whatever it was called, too much?

As for the ICJ - won't have the slightest interest. 

Well Bearboxer, I guess you will not be putting your name on the waiting list then for a sea house. I will! And lots of other TVForum members will. I'll wait for the price to fall a little first though. Oh yes! The bohemian lifestyle at sea in your own Republic. Can't wait.

And, I enjoyed Sea World (the movie). I didn't like it that the lady had shaved armpits. Spoilt it for me. Diminished its authenticity.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Why people want to avoid governments and live at sea.  Given Thailand's heavy handedness and lack of rule of law, it was a lousy place to start this sort of thing.

Or live????

Ankle+Bracelet.jpg

18 hours ago, owl sees all said:

What a great idea. Hope their plans are not diminished by all this nonsense.

If this ever gets to International court, Thailand will have to pay out a fortune, and lose big face.

At least and as a start they should be given a chance to either move it 200miles from shore or to tow it to shore during a pending clarification and not threaten with a death penalty, revoked visa and get the seasted confiscated ...

The Thai way seems to be all about Do it my way or Stay away ...

• Like 2

I think there is a bigger picture here that most are not seeing.  This is a revolutionary concept that is both threatening and disturbing to the established order WORLD WIDE!!

It is highly possible the U.S. or a consortium of national governments leaned on Thailand to put the kaibosh on this "mouse that roared".  The last thing any national government wants is a threat to their sovereignty, even if that threat is just a seemingly harmless buoy outside their juridiction.  So much for the sanctity of "International Waters".  Whatever this guy's intention, make no mistake about your supposed individual liberty.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, csmith said:

The police cannot find them? .… didn't they do their TM30?

RE TM30:

Who should act?

Officially and practically, the responsibility to report the stay of a foreigner rests with the host: the landlord of a property, the hotel or the service apartment. Untimely reporting of a foreigner can be penalized with THB 1,600 per person (normally the penalty does not exceed that amount , even if your landlord reports months too late).

With other words the forest it self is not required ... :thumbsup:

Edited by ttrd

19 hours ago, DrDave said:

“... maybe do some AirBNB style – SeaBNB – to bring in more tourists to see the natural beauty of Thailand,” he said.

Umm, how does one see the natural beauty of Thailand from 14 nautical miles offshore?

You can see the plastic garbage floating by and a whif of the diluted untreated waste

To clarify, the Kevin Costner movie was called WATERWORLD never "Sea World", and IMHO it was a fantastic movie which everyone who replies to this topic should be forced to watch before giving their (un)informed opinions.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Countries have always been touchy about threats to their claimed sovereignty, be it on land or sea.

There are regular squabbles about jurisdiction in the waters around Gibraltar.

We have all heard how China is turning their territorial claims into fact.

Some may remember how the UK claimed the island of Rockall by dropping a marine in a tent on it from a helicopter (thus massively expanding the UK's economic zone). 

Countries have gone to war with one another over a few rai of land (China and Russia did several times when the Amur river (used as a border) changed it's course.

No country is going to turn a blind eye to an upstart competitor on their borders. This seasteading is not a new idea, it has been around for decades. Just most  sensibly saw it as just another extension of nation states. But no-one will want to live in a 6 metre wide tin can. it starts to get interesting at 100 metres.

Sounds like s great idea but in reality a terrible idea....where ever man goes they pollute and contaminate that environment

we are already learning how the ocean has become one big disposal pit for garbage....

it would be the equivalent of letting people homestead in national parks....unfortunately thailand allows people to live and establish hotels in them....and Thai national parks are dirty and polluted

floating on the ocean means more garbage....send polluters to outer space via Musk....

Edited by cardinalblue

On 4/30/2019 at 8:36 AM, dotpoom said:

For the life of me I cannot see why people would enjoy living in a "buoy" in the water (3 mtrs. in dimension) compared to a nice hotel room, condo or house?

Perhaps for similar reasons of the many folks who spend time on boats? Many actually live on boats.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

To clarify, the Kevin Costner movie was called WATERWORLD never "Sea World", and IMHO it was a fantastic movie which everyone who replies to this topic should be forced to watch before giving their (un)informed opinions.

Waterworld was top 10 most boring movies in the last 40 years. 

What a waste of life time it was.