High speeds to blame for ambulance crashes

webfact

I have to wonder why no-one has brought this up but maybe I am just crazy.   I've lived here in Cha-Am/Hua Hin since 2006.  I have Never seen an Ambulance speeding.  Most of the time they are crawling along with traffic that won't get out of their way.  Last week I tried like hell to get an ambulance to pass me, giving way as far to the left as I could go.......they eventually found their gas pedal and passed me at a snail's pace.....

I know a Thai Guy that is a Mini Bus driver; mad as hell and in his spare time he volunteers to work for Emergency Services driving Ambulances for free.  Very commendable one might think to give his time free for others but he told me he likes driving Ambulances with lights and sirens because he can go faster !

Until the Government runs it's own State Ambulance Service using properly trained drivers the accident figures will continue to rise.

Edited by trainman34014
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

It does not happen often that a car going slower than you crashes into you from behind as they are going slower and therefore not coming closer by to be able to crash into you. Its quite logic when you think about it...

You don't seriously want to tell us something about logic in Thailand, do you ...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, a977 said:

Of course it would have nothing to do with the other drivers Thai mentality of me first! 

Exactly right. I was driving down Ratchadapisek Road a few weekends ago. Two ambulances with their sirens on were maybe 4 - 5 cars behind and trying to get through the traffic so I pulled over on the left to try and allow them to pass.

I was met with a number of cars behind beeping and trying to then overtake me even though it was plainly obvious as to what I was doing. 

Peanut brains. 

• Like 1

"high speed" is an excellent narrative.  and it works to explain every "accident" and... as something you shouldn't do... as well as a great excuse.  "I couldn't stop in time".  not my fault.

as a foreigner my simple rule is "always have an out", and have it in mind for quick reaction.  sometimes it means slowing down sometimes "speeding" faster and sometimes a lane change or escape route left or right etc.  speed is only relative.  

well, I'm a foreigner.  I have a different way of thinking.  

Edited by WeekendRaider
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyL said:

Exactly right. I was driving down Ratchadapisek Road a few weekends ago. Two ambulances with their sirens on were maybe 4 - 5 cars behind and trying to get through the traffic so I pulled over on the left to try and allow them to pass.

I was met with a number of cars behind beeping and trying to then overtake me even though it was plainly obvious as to what I was doing. 

Peanut brains. 

All part of Thailand's SS on the roads,   

(SS =  Selfish Somchai's ). 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

The first thing they teach you in UK police response car driving courses is to treat all other road users as idiots. This is easy in Thailand as over 95% of them are including most of the police drivers I have seen.

Thats wrong, i demand a recount.

you have an error of 5%.

If they are allowed to drive at speeds in excess of the limit as said, surely they should be accredited by advanced driving instructors?

And have vehicles roadworthy enough for the purpose. 

Same with the flashing lights and sirens.

The dispatcher normally classifies the code one.

Lights and sirens..

Code three lights only.

Here, it's used to go and get the coffee.. 

Or if they are running late for tea.

10 hours ago, Peterbkk99 said:

I gave priority to a speeding ambulance with flashing lights last week.

A few hundred meters later the ambulance slowed down to park. Apparently there was no patient inside and they were not going to pick up one either. 

As said in another response. 

Going for tea or coffee or som tam.

They are cowboys. 

Don't really care,  and don't know any better. 

Normally it's the dispatcher who makes the lights and sirens call.

Not the driver of the meat wagon. 

The police normally share the same radio channel and should be able to ascertain if it's a lights and sirens call. 

Edited by dallen52

7 hours ago, connda said:

Most Thai drivers don't know how to drive nor do they understand the bare minimum, basic driving skills that it takes to drive defensively and safely.  It's just "push the pedal to the metal" and "ignore the lines in the road and drive like a maniac."  So, driving an ambulance doesn't impart special skills to the driver; the driver needs to have developed driving skill before getting behind the wheel.  So the high number of accidents simply are a symptom of the inability to drive in the first place.  The drivers are driving beyond their ability to control the vehicle - as most Thais do.

AMEN!!! Speed isn't the problem, poor driving skills is the problem, this country is focusing on the wrong thing. Start working on driver training, actual driver testing on the streets, and written tests that cover proper driving knowledge. Then for GOD's (or Buddha's) sake, please start enforcing road rules on the streets, before more die needlessly.