Video: Death of a Thai biker - clocked at 264 kmph

webfact

16 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

Or just watch Channel 7 news in the morning to view the daily digest of lunatic driving / riding.  Guaranteed new material each and every day.

Today: planking on the bike ,  again...

Just now, ocddave said:

Driving 264 kph on a road used by locals with their families, puts him in the Attempted Murderer category, not the "Nice Guy" category. He was part of the problem on Thai Roads, not some type of martyr.

Agreed, he's not a Martyr - no one mentioned that he is, but they are paying respect to the deceased and reminding us of the human aspect at the receiving end of some of the poisonous comments. 

To be honest, given many of the comments I'd hazard a guess and suggest that the Deceased was a far nicer guy than some who've posted. 

I agree, that he was part of the problem on Thailands roads, but to be honest, the biggest part of the problem is the lack of enforcement. We don't stick to the laws so stringently in our home countries because we are 'good' we stick to them because we don't want to pay the high fines. 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2019 at 10:41 AM, californiabeachboy said:

Mixed feelings about this one. He knew what he was doing - chance he would die, and he still did it. Died having fun (as he defined fun, not me).

But what about the family? They will continue to suffer from his death even though he will not suffer.

Great, 1 idiot less in the world

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, donim said:
20 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

Or just watch Channel 7 news in the morning to view the daily digest of lunatic driving / riding.  Guaranteed new material each and every day.

And that's representative of the whole of Thai Society?.... 

I hope people aren't reading this and making the same assumption that you are representative of all ThaiVisa contributors.... 

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
9 minutes ago, donim said:
28 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

I hope people aren't reading this and making the same assumption that you are representative of all ThaiVisa contributors.... 

It actually was on the news this morning.

Young lunatics planking with speed on waves with the mufflers cuts in half.

Shalomming trough the traffic, nearly missing car mirrors and each other.

Nods.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The fact that its happening all the time, along with all the other dangerous driving habits, means its a "Thai Society" issue, NOBODY is doing anything about it.

Edited by ocddave
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Check the news that I was refering to with "Today: planking on the bike ,  again... " in reply to OneEyedPie comment.

https://www.posttoday.com/social/general/588004

or

https://www.tnews.co.th/contents/504690

Rgds,

1 hour ago, ocddave said:

I plan to post the whole trip, not 10 minutes, and I'll post it daily. You'll get a kick out of every morning when a long string of idiots barrels into the Highway onramp to pass everyone on the left, I assume to try an kill people coming up the onramp, then fly down the Emergency Lane (shoulder) at triple digit speeds.

You're bordering on ridiculous now Richard, I won't count myself in the 90%, which is what I quoted. 

I wouldn't bother posting a video - you would be opening yourself up to some rather moronic comments and ridicule regardless of how excellent your driving is.

I would argue that in the video you will post, even if you selected the worst of the driving around you, 9 out of 10 cars are not being driven poorly, dangerously or stupidly. I'd guess that 1 out of 9 cars is doing something like changing lanes without an indictor etc.... and yes, the screaming up the inside on the Expressway on ramp is fairly common, as is amber and red light jumping - but not everyone is doing that, not 90% of people (perhaps closer to 1 in 50).

Regarding the Emergency lane: As much as I disagree with it - the left hand most lane while marked with a fixed white line, which in the West indicates the hard shoulder) here in Thailand it is another traffic lane. During busy periods the Police are actively channeling drivers down this lane to make 4 Expressway traffic lanes instead of 3. 

We are in agreement that we see idiots all the time on Thailands roads, we are just in disagreement with the amount of idiots we see... I don't think 90% of people around me on Thai roads are brainless idiots driving dangerously. If I had to pick a figure would guess that about 1% of Thailands drivers drive stupidly, the rest drive quite normally (in Bangkok).

In Pattaya and Chiang Mia it is often argued that it is the foreigners who drive dangerously and stupidly. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, ocddave said:

The fact that its happening all the time, along with all the other dangerous driving habits, means its a "Thai Society" issue, NOBODY is doing anything about it.

I definitely agree with that.... It is an issue for Thai Society, nothing is being done about it. Those in positions of decision making power seem not to care. 

But, a very small stupid and idiotic minority are not representative of Thai society - that generalisation just cannot be made with any degree of accuracy. 

40 minutes ago, donim said:

Check the news that I was refering to with "Today: planking on the bike ,  again... " in reply to OneEyedPie comment.

https://www.posttoday.com/social/general/588004

or

https://www.tnews.co.th/contents/504690

Rgds,

Absolute idiocy...  These are the examples of the small minority of Thai population who could be accused of being brainless. The reason I have a dash-cam is because of idiots like this and the other idiots who may pull out without looking etc (I have a dash-cam in the UK for the same reasons). 

But, these idiots represent a very small minority of Thai Population - I can't judge the Intelligence of my Wife, In Laws & extended family and all of my Thai friends and colleagues past and present based on the actions of these idiots.

That said, in the interest of balance, a lot of my Thai Male friends do drink and drive - I hate it, I give them grief about it, but they still do it. So did many of my parents generation in the UK 40 years ago. A cultural shift is required, as was required in the UK, this must be instigated by adequate law enforcement and strict penalties.

55.3 million people die each year in the world

151,600 people die each day

6,316 people die each hour

for one reason or another....

100 people died since I started typing this 1 minute ago

and 225,000 since this biker met his maker yesterday

next topic!  
Edited by pattayadude
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You've quoted a small portion of my post, in doing so taken it out of context to suit your bias. 

My post was in response to someone to claim 'Thai's had no brains'...  a flawed sweeping, bitter and poisonous generalization...   Some of the responses only highlight how some of our forum members are severely lacking in the grey matter.... 

well   bugger  me

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Absolute idiocy...  These are the examples of the small minority of Thai population who could be accused of being brainless. The reason I have a dash-cam is because of idiots like this and the other idiots who may pull out without looking etc (I have a dash-cam in the UK for the same reasons). 

But, these idiots represent a very small minority of Thai Population - I can't judge the Intelligence of my Wife, In Laws & extended family and all of my Thai friends and colleagues past and present based on the actions of these idiots.

That said, in the interest of balance, a lot of my Thai Male friends do drink and drive - I hate it, I give them grief about it, but they still do it. So did many of my parents generation in the UK 40 years ago. A cultural shift is required, as was required in the UK, this must be instigated by adequate law enforcement and strict penalties.

So you have this  small  minority on one hand then on the other  a lot of   your Thai male friends drink and drive......youre  making no sense and contradicting yourself, oh  but Im sure I  took it  all out of context.

Edited by gunderhill
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I wouldn't bother posting a video - you would be opening yourself up to some rather moronic comments and ridicule regardless of how excellent your driving is.

I would argue that in the video you will post, even if you selected the worst of the driving around you, 9 out of 10 cars are not being driven poorly, dangerously or stupidly. I'd guess that 1 out of 9 cars is doing something like changing lanes without an indictor etc.... and yes, the screaming up the inside on the Expressway on ramp is fairly common, as is amber and red light jumping - but not everyone is doing that, not 90% of people (perhaps closer to 1 in 50).

Regarding the Emergency lane: As much as I disagree with it - the left hand most lane while marked with a fixed white line, which in the West indicates the hard shoulder) here in Thailand it is another traffic lane. During busy periods the Police are actively channeling drivers down this lane to make 4 Expressway traffic lanes instead of 3. 

We are in agreement that we see idiots all the time on Thailands roads, we are just in disagreement with the amount of idiots we see... I don't think 90% of people around me on Thai roads are brainless idiots driving dangerously. If I had to pick a figure would guess that about 1% of Thailands drivers drive stupidly, the rest drive quite normally (in Bangkok).

In Pattaya and Chiang Mia it is often argued that it is the foreigners who drive dangerously and stupidly. 

Proof is in the pudding my dear, obviously we disagree on almost everything, and you obviously have blinders on, soldier on my friend.....keep living in denial if it makes you feel better....Done. Just for your knowledge, there is an article in the Bangkok Post (we're not allowed to post a link from this site), specifically from a high-ranking RTP Officer stating that using the Breakdown lane is illegal...PERIOD! I also left at 3pm to head into Bangkok to pickup the wife and daughter, plenty of idiots on that trip, but 3 of them were noteworthy, death-defying stupidity, 2 of them on Rama VI road.

Edited by ocddave

On 5/1/2019 at 3:31 PM, Assurancetourix said:

With your little green yoghurt pot :cheesy:

The size of the car is of minor importance - if the road is completely blocked in front of you - more important is fast reaction time - good brakes and tires with right pressure. 

By the way - I drive now a different car in red - small model too - but enough for my needs - and like to drive my Honda CB 650 F on curvy roads. 

1 minute ago, ALFREDO said:

I drive now a different car in red

Thais consider red as an unlucky colour of car, hence why there's so few about.  Hope you have your amulets handy. 

• Haha 2

On 5/1/2019 at 2:37 PM, Deli said:

Try it with 260kph, I tell you, it's even more fun. Missus likes it ????

Have to change to a different bigger bike to reach 260 ????

On 5/1/2019 at 5:40 PM, Phredd said:

With 30,000+ dead on the Thai Roads each year. One wouldn't want to have too many friends here in Thailand, as you would be constantly at a Funeral. ????

As far as I know - 36 road death per 100.000 Thais per year 65.000.000 : 100.000 = 650 x 36 = 23.400 

On 5/1/2019 at 5:40 PM, Phredd said:

With 30,000+ dead on the Thai Roads each year. One wouldn't want to have too many friends here in Thailand, as you would be constantly at a Funeral. ????

As far as I know - 36 road death per 100.000 Thais per year 65.000.000 : 100.000 = 650 x 36 = 23.400 

6 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

In memory of a nice guy who only wanted to enjoy to ride his bike with his mates. 

RIP, bro.png

I had and have always the opinion that the 400 cc 4 Cylinder Sport Bikes from 20+ years ago are Sporty enough for Thai road and traffic conditions - today that part can now be played by Bikes same Honda CB or CBR 650 and her rivals - more is to fast and to fast accelerating and to dangerous - 

49 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

Thais consider red as an unlucky colour of car, hence why there's so few about.  Hope you have your amulets handy. 

I like red - I am not a Buddhist or Ghost believer and I not care what Thais like or not like or think ????

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ALFREDO said:

I had and have always the opinion that the 400 cc 4 Cylinder Sport Bikes from 20+ years ago are Sporty enough for Thai road and traffic conditions - today that part can now be played by Bikes same Honda CB or CBR 650 and her rivals - more is to fast and to fast accelerating and to dangerous - 

I would agree, but I have a hard time finding bikes in the smaller CC groups that fit my 6'1" medium framed 210lb body.....just not a lot to pick from, settled on the Suzuki SV650X.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ocddave said:

I would agree, but I have a hard time finding bikes in the smaller CC groups that fit my 6'1" medium framed 210lb body.....just not a lot to pick from, settled on the Suzuki SV650X.

I only 1,72 m and have more problems with high seat position - the weight is a different thing - I much to fat and used in my Yamaha R1 from 1998 and use my present bike Honda CB 650 F - fork spring and shock from -Hyper Pro- available for order in Thailand - even in heavy biker version - makes the driving so much better. ???? 

10 minutes ago, ALFREDO said:

I like red - I am not a Buddhist or Ghost believer and I not care what Thais like or not like or think ????

That's unfortunate for you.  I hope you survive.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, XBroker said:

Video seems to have been taken down or is blocked here in US.

You didn't miss much.  A lot of dialogue between three bikers at a standstill then off they went.  The victim was behind for the first minute then decided to put his foot down and shot past his friends in seconds once he hit 200+.  The death throes was an anticlimax as the victim sort of gently veered left to the grass verge and stacked it.  I suspect body parts were spread over a wide area at that speed and impact but that wasn't obvious on the helmet cam.