Android TV box but which one?

mrmicbkktxl

OP: I would like to buy an ANDROID TV BOX!

Replies: Get a Windows mini PC!

Awesome!
I quite agree. The cheap Android box is just something I use in the bedroom. My main box in the living room is a fanless miniPC running Windows which is a professional OS.
  • Like 1

Someone mentioned 'reviews' on Lazada. The OP wants to stream foreign TV. This is a demanding task. Most of the Lazada reviews are from people who won't be doing this, so they won't be a reliable point of reference when it comes to making your decision.

Why not buy a cheap box and after a couple of weeks chuck it away and do what you should have done in the first place?

(I'm pretty sure this is going to happen!) LOL

1 minute ago, trd said:
4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That is odd....  especially since Netflix is very much in the UK...heck, it's even officially in Thailand.

Is the app store on your device the real actual Google Play Store...and not some imitation???

It doesn't show up on the box, if I go to Google play on my phone or my tablet on the same account it shows up fine. Is obviously an issue with the processor on the Android box.

As I mentioned above, from what I understand, there are some Chinese-made streaming boxes that aren't specced to work well with Netflix (I think it's having a particular required version of DRM, but may be other stuff as well.)  So as a result, it's possible those models have a profile in the Google Play Store whereby incompatible apps are not shown....

I mentioned it earlier because the non-techie person planning to buy an Android streaming box might automatically assume that it's going to come loaded with the Google Play Store and be fine to play Netflix. But Google and Netflix aren't the same kings in China that they are in other parts of the world. So those aren't always safe presumptions to make, especially with devices built mainly for the Chinese domestic market.

• Thanks 1

I would recommend a Minix. They do both Android and Windows 10, but I would seriously recommend you go the windows route. Same price for a proper OS which is much more flexible and powerful than Android.

• Like 1

As I mentioned above, from what I understand, there are some Chinese-made streaming boxes that aren't specced to work well with Netflix (I think it's having a particular required version of DRM, but may be other stuff as well.)  So as a result, it's possible those models have a profile in the Google Play Store whereby incompatible apps are not shown....

I mentioned it earlier because the non-techie person planning to buy an Android streaming box might automatically assume that it's going to come loaded with the Google Play Store and be fine to play Netflix. But Google and Netflix aren't the same kings in China that they are in other parts of the world. So those aren't always safe presumptions to make, especially with devices built mainly for the Chinese domestic market.

The fact that it isn't preloaded with Netflix is the clue.

2 minutes ago, trd said:
3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The fact that it isn't preloaded with Netflix is the clue.

Be interesting to see what would happen if you tried to sideload a Netflix app onto your device...

BTW, that's one of the things about the NVidia and Mi Box international version devices... They both have their negatives -- NVidia's being a high price, and Mi Box being a history of buggy firmware...

But in both cases, at least, they're device built for the western world marketplace and you know they're going to fully work with all the western streaming apps any person would want to use....

With the Chinese devices, you've got to do a bit more due diligence to ensure you're going to end up with a device that's capable of doing what you want it to do.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

45 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Couple things about that box...

1. I see it has an Ethernet jack, which is good if the user can make an Ethernet connection for video streaming. But if relying on wifi, does the unit has wifi AC or only wifi N.  Obviously, for video streaming via wifi, AC is going to be preferred and faster.

2. Have you tried using the Netflix app with that particular unit, and does it play properly?  One problem with a lot of inexpensive Chinese boxes is they're not properly formatted for Netflix DRM.

3. Also, have their been any manufacturer firmware updates beyond the unit's out of the box Marshmallow 6.0 OS?

Netflix works well

Be interesting to see what would happen if you tried to sideload a Netflix app onto your device...
Well I'm not one to turn down a challenge so I'll go look for a Netflix apk.
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, warrima said:

Your Hisense TV has Anyview, so it can receive a screen cast from a windows or android device on the same network (similar to chromecast). If you already have a decent laptop or PC at home you can just install Kodi as a free download then just add a build such as 'no limits' or 'Titanium'. 

I have a win 10 laptop and chromecast.I bought a smart tv because I thought  can download some apps,turn on tv click on an app and watch what I like to watch,mostly news and sport.Series I watch in Netflix.

13 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Netflix works well

Re the MXQ Pro box, how do you know???

(I'm just asking because, you're the one who started this thread because you were trying to figure out what Android TV device to buy.....)  So I kinda presumed you didn't have one.

14 minutes ago, killerbeez said:

Someone mentioned 'reviews' on Lazada. The OP wants to stream foreign TV. This is a demanding task. Most of the Lazada reviews are from people who won't be doing this, so they won't be a reliable point of reference when it comes to making your decision.

Why not buy a cheap box and after a couple of weeks chuck it away and do what you should have done in the first place?

I don't care about the price as long the price is reasonable and gives me what I'm looking for.I have a laptop with vpn,I have chromecast,but I don't want to turn on my computer all the time when I want to watch some news or some sport.That why I bought a smart tv,but the Hisense tv sucks in relation to downloading apps

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Re the MXQ Pro box, how do you know???

(I'm just asking because, you're the one who started this thread because you were trying to figure out what Android TV device to buy.....)  So I kinda presumed you didn't have one.

It's not about Netflix,I like to watch sports and news from around the world(USA,UK,Germany,Japan,Australia,Spain,etc.)thought an Android box will make that easier 

BTW, that's one of the things about the NVidia and Mi Box international version devices... They both have their negatives -- NVidia's being a high price, and Mi Box being a history of buggy firmware...

But in both cases, at least, they're device built for the western world marketplace and you know they're going to fully work with all the western streaming apps any person would want to use....

With the Chinese devices, you've got to do a bit more due diligence to ensure you're going to end up with a device that's capable of doing what you want it to do.

Well I'm happy to report that I installed Netflix with an APK file which installed without any problems so I decided to sign up for a month trial which I was considering anyway and I just signed up and I'm watching something now on Netflix with this cheap Chinese box and it's playing perfectly.
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, killerbeez said:

why is streaming foreign tv any different than domestic?  720 is 720 and 1080 is 1080... the only real factor is the internet connection and this does not depend on the box in fact the current govt throttles all international incoming connections so you are limited by this regardless of the box...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trd said:

I would recommend a Minix. They do both Android and Windows 10, but I would seriously recommend you go the windows route. Same price for a proper OS which is much more flexible and powerful than Android.

l would question going the windows route as so many apps are apks for viewing.... you will lose access to many with a windows box...

• Confused 1

l would question going the windows route as so many apps are apks for viewing.... you will lose access to many with a windows box...

I have Kodi which I use to play torrent downloads, Chrome browser which displays any website including, Netflix TVMucho and YouTube. Apart from that I can run thousands of PC software programs many of which are crucial to me and which don't have an Android equivalent. So thanks but no thanks.

36 minutes ago, trd said:

I have Kodi which I use to play torrent downloads, Chrome browser which displays any website including, Netflix TVMucho and YouTube. Apart from that I can run thousands of PC software programs many of which are crucial to me and which don't have an Android equivalent. So thanks but no thanks.

I have and use Windows PCs for everything, including streaming at times. But the one thing I've never really gotten the hang of with a Windows PC is gaining a "lean back" experience for TV viewing that doesn't depend on using a traditional PC keyboard or Bluetooth keyboard or similar.

When I want to watch TV on the big screen, I like to be able to execute my commands and browse, select via the use of a simple remote control clicker device like comes with my Android TV Mi Box or Fire TVs or Rokus, etc. For web browsing, no... But for TV selecting and viewing, definitely yes.

So for the folks here who are recommending using Windows PCs as a TV streaming platform, what are you using to control them???

• Like 1

I have and use Windows PCs for everything, including streaming at times. But the one thing I've never really gotten the hang of with a Windows PC is gaining a "lean back" experience for TV viewing that doesn't depend on using a traditional PC keyboard or Bluetooth keyboard or similar.

When I want to watch TV on the big screen, I like to be able to execute my commands and browse, select via the use of a simple remote control clicker device like comes with my Android TV Mi Box or Fire TVs or Rokus, etc. For web browsing, no... But for TV selecting and viewing, definitely yes.

So for the folks here who are recommending using Windows PCs as a TV streaming platform, what are you using to control them???

I use a wireless mouse and the windows on-screen soft keyboard. For Kodi which I use most of the time I use the Kodi remote control app which turns my phone into a remote with many functions. The Android box and the phone just have to be on the same Wi-Fi network.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, trd said:

I use a wireless mouse and the windows on-screen soft keyboard. For Kodi which I use most of the time I use the Kodi remote control app which turns my phone into a remote with many functions. The Android box and the phone just have to be on the same Wi-Fi network.

I can get using the Kodi phone remote control app to navigate Kodi running on a Windows PC...

But trying to use a wireless mouse to navigate the Windows OS from afar seems like an exercise in pain to me...  Ahhh....for the good ole' days of Windows Media Center...

6 hours ago, fertilizer said:

Fully agree - SD Ram 1GB and Rom 8GB too low for most users. I would not go for any box with less than SD Ram 4GB and Rom 16GB.  

5 hours ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Agree with Fertilizer and Mooner on spec required. I've just replaced my outdated Minix with X96 Max after a lot of research because as the OP says, so much choice.

4GB, DDR4 (most are DDR3), 32GB ROM and Android 8.1, and just under 2,000 Baht. Hard to beat that spec for that price.

Just to clear up a small misconception, what you guys (and some product sheets) mean is internal storage and not ROM. ROM means Read Only Memory where you can't store your own data. ROMs are sometimes used for bootloader, firmware etc and are never several gigabytes big.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I can get using the Kodi phone remote control app to navigate Kodi running on a Windows PC...

But trying to use a wireless mouse to navigate the Windows OS from afar seems like an exercise in pain to me...  Ahhh....for the good ole' days of Windows Media Center...

I use a W10 Gyro as the sit back remote for Win10 HTPC with full size keyboard and mouse on standby. Wireless mouse and keyboard work perfectly from the sofa.

W10 Giro

gyro.jpg.14e32f9e57c1261bb36a5e09c09acd5e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, losworld said:

only real factor is the internet connection and this does not depend on the box in fact 

I'm sorry to inform you that internet connection reliability and speed varies wildly from box to box. I'm on my sixth box and they all perform differently when connected to the same high speed network.

Also, your streaming capabilities and buffering variances are determined by other factors, such as size and type of RAM, the CPU and even the CAT cables you choose.

But, hey, do what you want. There's a lot of good advice on this thread. It's up to you if you're going to make it work for you.

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I have an HP laptop with an I-7 processor, 12 GB of ram, and Seagate Hybrid drive. It is connected by HDMI to a 42" Samsung TV.  Using the TV as my monitor, the Windows 10 onscreen keyboard and using a wireless mouse as the remote and to type, I can sit in my favorite chair, surf the internet, type and stream video. I have links to Netflix, VUDU, US TV networks, BBC I-Player, AUS TV and others on my Chrome browser. I also use a proxy for geographically restricted content and Netflix US. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, killerbeez said:

The first pic shows the X99 box on the laptop cooler and the UPS to protect it even more.

The WD 8TB drive I posted about before is on the left.
The second pic shows a customized launcher that features just the stuff I use.

hometheatre_1.jpg.e67f74b18d3c2d0c9a5d6170f1fbea2e.jpghometheatre_2.jpg.092964c9544529238f17ee8e8a240878.jpg

Why do you need  an 8TB disc? To save downloaded data on? I thought the whole idea of a 'streaming box on demand catch-up' was so that you do not need to save anything

18 hours ago, trd said:

This is the one I got. It works extremely well.

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.vJt8

Got one of these, bought a few years ago when they 1st came out.....  paid well over double that price...... It is and always has been a bit hit and miss. + gets very hot even on a laptop fan base [used the base for many years even on the old Android 4 box

Downloaded 'BlueStacks' on my PC so can download all the Android TV sites [Android on PC] so when the box keeps stopping of freezing go to PC, almost always runs perfect on the PC.... guess it is the box ?