Android TV box but which one?

mrmicbkktxl

9 hours ago, killerbeez said:

I'm sorry to inform you that internet connection reliability and speed varies wildly from box to box. I'm on my sixth box and they all perform differently when connected to the same high speed network.

Also, your streaming capabilities and buffering variances are determined by other factors, such as size and type of RAM, the CPU and even the CAT cables you choose.

But, hey, do what you want. There's a lot of good advice on this thread. It's up to you if you're going to make it work for you.

The reason the boxes perform differently has little or nothing to do with the internet.  Like mentioned it is the ram, processor, gpu that will affect your viewing. One box cannot magically pull down more internet data than another particularly when we are generally talking data throttled to 5 mps no 200 mps.

Edited by tlandtday
  • Like 1

The reason the boxes perform differently has little or nothing to do with the internet.  Like mentioned it is the ram, processor, gpu that will affect your viewing. One box cannot magically pull down more internet data than another particularly when we are generally talking data throttled to 5 mps no 200 mps.

My internet speed has never being throttled. And I've never heard of it being throttled, you need to check your equipment or software setup. I get around 60mbps on international downloads.
  • Thanks 1

I started with a Minix Neo U1 as first android box. That was the only box available at the time in the shop I was. Work very well. I was using it mainly for Netflix, Iflix, Youtube and watch some movies downloaded in an external drive.
When I saw that Minix has also a windows box version too, I bought one. But I felt that android OS was more convenient than windows. I believe each person has his preferences.
When I saw about the Nvidia Shield and especially that included the gaming part, I bought one. I am regular gamer and have a Playstation for years. But it was a mistake as playing game on android box is nothing to compare with Playstation...But anyway, I have 4 TV's at home so I put it one of them.
One thing happen is that I subscribed to AIS play (as I am AIS mobile customer) and installed the app easily on the Minix Android. However, no way to instal AIS play on the Shield (as it is Google TV even sideload is not working).
So I concluded that the Minix android was the best for me, fitting all my needs: Netflix, Youtube, AIS Play, external drive, even watching directly my photos with Google Photos.
So I bought another 3 Minix Android box to have one with each TV. There was no more Neo U1, so I bought the Neo U9 (apparently the same model but can't see the difference).
I gave the Minix Windows to my sister and the Nvidia Shield to my son.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So for the folks here who are recommending using Windows PCs as a TV streaming platform, what are you using to control them???

I'm happy using a Rapoo wireless keyboard with touchpad, means I can get the most out of my mini-PC both as TV and PC. I was using an air-mouse before that but prefer the larger format keyboard.

5 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Why do you need  an 8TB disc? To save downloaded data on? I thought the whole idea of a 'streaming box on demand catch-up' was so that you do not need to save anything

I use the KODI app as a 'media center', not just for streaming.

The only thing I stream through KODI is NFL football.

Owning and storing content locally is preferable to me, because...

It means I don't have to rely on the speed and availability of the internet.

It means I don't have any surprises when channels/sources move, delete content or just disappear.

It means I can search and find the content I want to watch immediately and much more easily.

It means I can easily move my content wherever I go if I want to.

It means I can watch content that is not available to stream. (Usually old stuff.)

My way isn't for everyone, but it's better for me.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, killerbeez said:

He won't. He's already decided to buy a cheap box.

You can lead a horse...

There is nothing wrong with the boxes if running a version of android.  I have two boxes running here both with 2 gig ram and I have ran before with 1 gig ram but they are not as good.  I have three windows computers here but no need to load them with a secondary system like blue s stacks.  I can also throw my box in the bag and take it to hotels when i travel as well as cast from my phone to them if I wish.  Why use windows at all?

• Like 1

Just personal preference. Having tried both I prefer the Windows option - and you don't need BlueStacks or any other Android emulator, I can access everything I need through Kodi or a browser.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, killerbeez said:

Exactly.

Why use an Android Box? An Android Box, Roku, Firestick or another device will not provide any more content from the internet than I can stream with my Windows laptop.  Plus, I don't have to put up with issues of updating firmware, streaming quality, their apparent unreliability as you've bought several over the last few years or having to pay around 5,000 baht for one that works great.  Six months from now the OP's topic might be: "I need help.  Android Box issue". 

• Thanks 1

do you need to have a subscription to use it or it's open to watch live tv  including EPL, sorry if it sounds stupid but have no idea how this boxes work,
I don't know what kind of subscription you're talking about. The box is just a computer using my big screen TV as a monitor. I don't use it with any kind of subscription. I just play videos with it and look at YouTube.

On 5/3/2019 at 8:05 AM, trd said:

My internet speed has never being throttled. And I've never heard of it being throttled, you need to check your equipment or software setup. I get around 60mbps on international downloads.

All incoming international lines are throttled.  You don't know what you are talking about.  Also don't use speedtest it's all cached local data use testmy.net then you can tell me if you get 60.

All incoming international lines are throttled.  You don't know what you are talking about.  Also don't use speedtest it's all cached local data use testmy.net then you can tell me if you get 60.

You don't know what you're talking about. It's not throttled, it's just that the international gateway bandwidth is lower than local bandwidths. Do you appreciate the difference between a lower bandwidth and deliberate throttling? I'm not measuring 60 through a bandwidth testing site but directly to a server with files I can assure you are not cached.

6 minutes ago, trd said:

You don't know what you're talking about. It's not throttled, it's just that the international gateway bandwidth is lower than local bandwidths. Do you appreciate the difference between a lower bandwidth and deliberate throttling? I'm not measuring 60 through a bandwidth testing site but directly to a server with files I can assure you are not cached.

In essence it is throttled as all data now goes through a central government feed where all information can be examined for what the government has indicated is "security' reasons.  I think we are merely differing on the definition of throttling it need not be from your carrier but it does happen with this process.  However, many carriers do throttle as well as sophon used to offer an "international" plan which increased the speed of the international feed.  I doknow what I am talking about lol.  You should do the testmy site as speedtest is a joke preferred by the providers for inaccurate results.

Edited by losworld

In essence it is throttled as all data now goes through a central government feed where all information can be examined for what the government has indicated is "security' reasons.  I think we are merely differing on the definition of throttling it need not be from your carrier but it does happen with this process.  However, many carriers do throttle as well as sophon used to offer an "international" plan which increased the speed of the international feed.  I doknow what I am talking about lol.  You should do the testmy site as speedtest is a joke preferred by the providers for inaccurate results.

I just did. London 32, New York 26, Singapore 69. It's usually slow in the evenings.

1 minute ago, trd said:

I just did. London 32, New York 26, Singapore 69. It's usually slow in the evenings.

okay great but if you compare it to speedtest a few times you will see the difference.... testmy is pretty accurate.... you have a good connection for thailand hopefully your upload is good too. i notice much poorer results early evenings in high season i am guessing it is all the chinese tourists loading up on data packages to see things on youtube etc that are blocked in china.

Edited by losworld

okay great but if you compare it to speedtest a few times you will see the difference.... testmy is pretty accurate.... you have a good connection for thailand hopefully your upload is good too. i notice much poorer results early evenings in high season i am guessing it is all the chinese tourists loading up on data packages to see things on youtube etc that are blocked in china.
I think you'll find the central government gateway idea never actually materialized.

1 minute ago, trd said:
7 minutes ago, losworld said:

I think you'll find the central government gateway idea never actually materialized.

i would like to see more info on this i have seen nothing to the contrary but maybe i missed something?  this was talked in great depth by the govt and the current internet legislation would be rather futile without this system...

On 5/5/2019 at 6:31 PM, trd said:
On 5/5/2019 at 6:12 PM, Mavideol said:
do you need to have a subscription to use it or it's open to watch live tv  including EPL, sorry if it sounds stupid but have no idea how this boxes work,

I don't know what kind of subscription you're talking about. The box is just a computer using my big screen TV as a monitor. I don't use it with any kind of subscription. I just play videos with it and look at YouTube.

thks, now understand the principle

On 5/5/2019 at 6:35 PM, killerbeez said:

https://www.wirelesshack.org/a-beginners-guide-to-using-an-android-tv-box-and-kodi.html

As you are stubbornly refusing to listen to any of the awesome advice on this long thread, maybe the above link will help get you started.

The box in the link you posted is... SHIT!

are you having a bad day.... I didn't post any link to anything, I asked a simple question about the work about of the box.... understand you don;t like the box, maybe had bad deal with the seller or maybe trying to promote something else, you and only you will know

• Haha 1