Android TV box but which one?

mrmicbkktxl

Hi I would like to buy an Android TV box for my smart tv (Hisense n3000 not to smart)mainly to watch TV from around the world.I had a look in Lazada but there are just to many.

So does anyone can recommend one,reasonable priced?

X99  (About 5,000 baht.)
(If you can't see the point of spending all that extra on an NVidia Shield - which actually is the very best.)

Don't skimp on these boxes, because you'll be frustrated by the performance and annoyed when you want to replace or upgrade it.

I've bought several boxes over the past few years ranging from the cheapest to (nearly) the most expensive.

This box is awesome and I've had it as my main box for about four months.

TIPS...
1 - It runs hot, so use a laptop cooler.

(I've never had an issue with it before I started using the cooler,
but it's better to be sure and take care of your investment, right?)

2 - The remote dongle for the air mouse and voice functions ONLY WORKS in the USB 2 port on the box.
(So, the dongle won't work correctly in a USB hub or the onboard USB 3 port.)

3 - You can install a customized launcher that runs at startup.

4 - If you suffer those annoying split-second power cuts (like I do) then get a UPS to protect the box.

Here's a great review of this box...

• Haha 1

The first pic shows the X99 box on the laptop cooler and the UPS to protect it even more.

The WD 8TB drive I posted about before is on the left.
The second pic shows a customized launcher that features just the stuff I use.

hometheatre_1.jpg.e67f74b18d3c2d0c9a5d6170f1fbea2e.jpghometheatre_2.jpg.092964c9544529238f17ee8e8a240878.jpg

• Like 1

Save all the hassle just buy a Win10 mini-PC.

I gave up on Android boxes and bought a Asus VivoMini - not the cheapest option but cheaper in the long run.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Save all the hassle just buy a Win10 mini-PC.

I gave up on Android boxes and bought a Asus VivoMini - not the cheapest option but cheaper in the long run.

Totally agree. I have Intel NUC i5 connected to 60@ Samsung telly, Windows 10 and Express VPN. 200Mb/s 3BB internet. Nothing I cannot watch or download.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, killerbeez said:

The WD 8TB drive I posted about before is on the left.

I would  lay that hard drive down flat on the table...if it falls over while its running (disk spinning)

it could be ruined..I know from bitter experience.

• Thanks 1

Agree with Fertilizer and Mooner on spec required. I've just replaced my outdated Minix with X96 Max after a lot of research because as the OP says, so much choice.

4GB, DDR4 (most are DDR3), 32GB ROM and Android 8.1, and just under 2,000 Baht. Hard to beat that spec for that price.

4 minutes ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Agree with Fertilizer and Mooner on spec required. I've just replaced my outdated Minix with X96 Max after a lot of research because as the OP says, so much choice.

4GB, DDR4 (most are DDR3), 32GB ROM and Android 8.1, and just under 2,000 Baht. Hard to beat that spec for that price.

Check the spec first, cheaper X96 Max are only 2 GB and 7.1.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/x96-max-android-81-amlogic-s905x2-4-32-quad-core-dual-wifi-bt4x-1000-h265-4-60pfs-i271925883-s428685068.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.37.63c02adeplv0Vb&search=1

There you go, 1,750 Baht, hard to beat that.

They are all pretty good now.  My advice is to go for a box with 2 gig memory and 905 or rockchip processors are fine.  Try to get the newest or one generation old android operating system.  You will likely pay 1500 or so for a decent box.  Avoid the cheapest on the market as many are being dumped at the lowest price due to software issues, etc.  Just get one from lazada with a lot of buys and good ratings.  You can also take the model and google search reviews.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trd said:

This is the one I got. It works extremely well.

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.vJt8

Couple things about that box...

1. I see it has an Ethernet jack, which is good if the user can make an Ethernet connection for video streaming. But if relying on wifi, does the unit has wifi AC or only wifi N.  Obviously, for video streaming via wifi, AC is going to be preferred and faster.

2. Have you tried using the Netflix app with that particular unit, and does it play properly?  One problem with a lot of inexpensive Chinese boxes is they're not properly formatted for Netflix DRM.

3. Also, have their been any manufacturer firmware updates beyond the unit's out of the box Marshmallow 6.0 OS?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

1. I see it has an Ethernet jack, which is good if the user can make an Ethernet connection for video streaming. But if relying on wifi, does the unit has wifi AC or only wifi N.  Obviously, for video streaming via wifi, AC is going to be preferred and faster.

2. Have you tried using the Netflix app with that particular unit, and does it play properly?  One problem with a lot of inexpensive Chinese boxes is they're not properly formatted for Netflix DRM.

3. Also, have their been any manufacturer firmware updates beyond the unit's out of the box Marshmallow 6.0 OS?

I thought the whole idea of an android box was to avoid paid services like netfilx lol

2 hours ago, killerbeez said:

This box is awesome and I've had it as my main box for about four months.

TIPS...

If it works well for you and meets your needs, that's great...

But I'm not sure I'd call "awesome" a unit that runs so hot that it has to be used with an add-on laptop cooler.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I don't use Netflix and I'm not sure about the Wi-Fi, but it streams video from YouTube and TV Mucho perfectly without any buffering at all with the router on the other side of 2 concrete walls. The already installed Kodi app plays 1080p video perfectly. I don't bother with firmware updates on a cheap device like that.

2 minutes ago, losworld said:

I thought the whole idea of an android box was to avoid paid services like netfilx lol

That's not MY idea... I use my Android TV for a mixture of both paid and free streaming services...

And considering that Netflix is one of the most widely used video streaming sources in the world, it's one that reasonably might be of interest to the typical person planning to buy a streaming device.

• Like 1

Your Hisense TV has Anyview, so it can receive a screen cast from a windows or android device on the same network (similar to chromecast). If you already have a decent laptop or PC at home you can just install Kodi as a free download then just add a build such as 'no limits' or 'Titanium'. 

Here's the things I'd look for in any Android TV device purchase (in no order of priority):

--has Google Play Store installed

--support for 4K / UHD video

--at least 16 GB internal storage

--at least 2 GB of RAM memory

--Ethernet jack and/or AC wifi

--USB3 port or internal microSD card slot (for playing local files)

--later Android OS version is preferred, most recent being 8.X

That's not MY idea... I use my Android TV for a mixture of both paid and free streaming services...

And considering that Netflix is one of the most widely used video streaming sources in the world, it's one that reasonably might be of interest to the typical person planning to buy a streaming device.

That's very weird. I just did a search for Netflix in the Google store on this box and it's not showing up. My account is registered with the UK store.

23 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But I'm not sure I'd call "awesome" a unit that runs so hot that it has to be used with an add-on laptop cooler.

Read my post. It doesn't have to be used with a cooler. It works fine without one... as I said in the post.

But for an extra 120 baht, all these boxes should have additional cooling... and it gives me peace of mind, too.

1 minute ago, trd said:
25 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's very weird. I just did a search for Netflix in the Google store on this box and it's not showing up. My account is registered with the UK store.

That is odd....  especially since Netflix is very much in the UK...heck, it's even officially in Thailand.

Is the app store on your device the real actual Google Play Store...and not some imitation???

That is odd....  especially since Netflix is very much in the UK...heck, it's even officially in Thailand.

Is the app store on your device the real actual Google Play Store...and not some imitation???

It doesn't show up on the box, if I go to Google play on my phone or my tablet on the same account it shows up fine. Is obviously an issue with the processor on the Android box.

2 hours ago, killerbeez said:

TIPS...

(I've never had an issue with it before I started using the cooler,
but it's better to be sure and take care of your investment, right?)

My Mi Box doesn't run hot, and doesn't need a cooler.

My Fire TV devices don't run hot, and don't need a cooler.

My Roku boxes don't run hot, and don't need a cooler....

Just sayin....