Do You Need A Degree To Get A Non B Visa

...Unless you're a visiting professor from Oxbridge, and your maid's cousin's tuk-tuk driver's hairdresser's boyfriend heard that the rumour of the week requires a master's degree in linguistics and a top secret clearance just to teach conversational english to prathom kids in Outer Isaan.....No.

...Unless you're a visiting professor from Oxbridge, and your maid's cousin's tuk-tuk driver's hairdresser's boyfriend heard that the rumour of the week requires a master's degree in linguistics and a top secret clearance just to teach conversational english to prathom kids in Outer Isaan.....No.

:o

Joking aside, you don't need one for a WP.

But if you are thinking about teaching, (which you probably are not) then one is required for the teachers licence which is neededto get the WP.

My apologies to Moonhunter for his post that was about him as a teacher, because the topic got put where folks didn't realize he was a teacher. My flippant remark didn't clarify that, either.

Moonhunter, I think you previously mentioned that a visit to your Regional MoE office said they'd give you some document if you sent off to England for your GCSE. Did that work?

If you leave the country to get an O visa, your school's statement that they will hire you should be needed. Some of these confused consulates (even Hull, for example) may require you to get a criminal clearance as well, or maybe a rabies shot; who knows?

PeaceBlondie no need for apologies, i have a sense of humor. :o

But yes you are right i submitted my teachers license renewal with no degree for the 4th year running and only confirmation from my school in the UK that i had passed GCSE level in English language, English Lit and so on......

So i thought i could then renew my non b visa before going to the UK next week so i didn't have to do it when i came back but now i find out that you need to have a police report for renewing your visa also. Well i didn't have one and will have to obtain it in the UK which is not a problem but my visa expires on the 30th April and i return to Thailand on the 7th May.

So this is the reason for my question, do i need a degree to obtain a non imm b visa in the UK or will my contract from my school and my new teacher license be enough?

Thanks all

Moonhunter, I think you are one of the early test cases for this- in the past, it has NOT been absolutely necessary to have a degree to be a fully legal teacher with work permit in a government school in Thailand. Does all the hysteria about "crackdowns" mean this has changed? No one knows. Since it isn't against the law to work as a conversational English teacher in a government school that has sponsored you for a work permit, I don't know how you would "crackdown" on this legal activity, but if they want to they'll find a way. You'll just have to find out by finding out- hope it goes well.

The info above about the teacher's license & degree is correct, but a teacher's license is not necessary in government schools to get the work permit- the school can vouch for you instead- at least under the "normal" law.

"Steven"

If you leave the country to get an O visa, your school's statement that they will hire you should be needed. Some of these confused consulates (even Hull, for example) may require you to get a criminal clearance as well, or maybe a rabies shot; who knows?

55555555555! :o

Actually, I got the rabies shot after the dog on the Hua Hin beach bit me, and broke the skin on my leg! :D

Moonhunter, I'm confused. There's a big difference between having the Thai Immigration Police (which are not part of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs) extending an existing B visa for the 4th year or the 14 year; and going to an embassy or consulate of the Thai MoFA for a new visa. I think you should just get your existing B visa re-re-extended by the friendly folks in your local moobahn or province.

There are no laws in Thailand, in the sense we pedantic Yanks, Pommies, Brits, Irish, et al, think of laws and regulations. Thai officials don't act the way our officials back home act. If they ask for a rabies shot, they cost about 1,800 baht for the series, and are given in the arm, not the stomach. :o If they ask for a statement in Gaelic from your local constabulary or guarda, with a red embossed stamp of a gargoyle, give them the closest possible thing to that, and when you do, Khun Achasasapachakalanapa will have forgotten why they wanted it.

Just to keep everyone up to date, teacher license and visa have been renewed for another year without degree and without police check and just as another point of interest my school is private, didn't actually realize as at the front of our school is a primary government school with the same name but i have been informed by my director this is a private school and has nothing to do with the other school.

Whats it all about.

Well I'm off to the UK on Tuesday with my son for his first visit renewed visa ad re entry visa i feel like the world has been lifted off my shoulders.

STELLA ARTOIS here i come.

Mike :o

happy holidays to all and good luck

PB...........................

Rabies shots cost about 50quid in the UK, and you get them in your ARSE!!

You were lucky!

I thought you didn't have rabies in the UK? Or are they given as a precaution after particularly violent football matches!

PeaceBlondie no need for apologies, i have a sense of humor. :o

But yes you are right i submitted my teachers license renewal with no degree for the 4th year running and only confirmation from my school in the UK that i had passed GCSE level in English language, English Lit and so on......

So i thought i could then renew my non b visa before going to the UK next week so i didn't have to do it when i came back but now i find out that you need to have a police report for renewing your visa also. Well i didn't have one and will have to obtain it in the UK which is not a problem but my visa expires on the 30th April and i return to Thailand on the 7th May.

So this is the reason for my question, do i need a degree to obtain a non imm b visa in the UK or will my contract from my school and my new teacher license be enough?

Thanks all

Just had a letter from my local constabulary, ( Suffolk) for police check should be here by the 7th of april.

But it took 2 weeks to get that reply here.

Soit has taken over 2 months to get this.

So if you need one quick forget it.

Paul

SEE's TEFL recently interviewed the MoE in Chiang Mai. A link to the interview can be found on ajarn dot com's home page.

In Chiang Mai at least schools decide their minimum hiring qualifications. However, to register a teacher with the MoE as part of the conventional wp process evidence of a degree is required. It's always been this and schools have registered their degree teachers with the MoE before they obtain wps from the MoL and the non-degree teachers are presented as 'language consultants' to the MoL only and so can bypass the MoE. It has been all sabai sabai until the Jon Mark Carr guy left Thailand. The MoE had to be seen to be doing something so it sent letters to schools telling them rules could not be ignored anymore and schools that went around them could be in trouble. But, if you read the interview and read between the lines, I believe that 'real' changes are going to be slow in coming.

In short, in Chiang Mai at least, wps are being issued to teachers without degrees. Over half of the 7 main private schools here are doing it.

You need to show you are better qualified than Thai applicants for the job,

so a degree helps, but is not essential.

But be careful that you're not more qualified than the person(Thai) hiring you.

Astral said that when this topic was in the Visas-Work Permit forum, and they couldn't tell that MoonHunter UK was talking about being a teacher. It is assumed that native speakers are not stealing jobs from Thais, to teach English.

I would amend your last sentence, Neeranaam, to "Be careful that you don't show that you're more qualified than the person (Thai) hiring you." Your qualifications and your interview, and your demo lesson, might make it obvious that you can do better than the last 14 people who failed at the same job, and that your spoken English is superior to the Ed. D. on the staff. That's how I got hired, but I surely didn't make it so obvious that anybody lost face.

There are no rules. Sometimes (not being able to read Thai) I doubt there are any laws here. It's up to Khun Somchai and Ajarn Pasachacha.