UK PM May under fire after Huawei leak sacking

webfact

UK PM May under fire after Huawei leak sacking

By William James

2019-05-02T154304Z_1_LYNXNPEF4111O_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-POLITICS-WILLIAMSON.JPG

Britain's Secretary of State for Defence Gavin Williamson is seen outside Downing Street in London, Britain, April 2, 2019. REUTERS/Alkis Konstantinidis/Files

LONDON (Reuters) - Theresa May hoped firing her defence secretary over a leak would put her latest government scandal to rest. But it seems only to have unleashed yet another political storm for the British prime minister, with members of her own party questioning her judgment and opponents demanding the police be called in.

May, who is clinging to her job despite failing to persuade parliament to accept her plans for Britain's exit from the EU, fired Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson on Wednesday.

She blamed him for a leak about Chinese telecoms firm Huawei from a meeting of the cabinet's National Security Council (NSC) which discusses intelligence and defence strategy.

Williamson has continued to deny responsibility, saying he had been judged by a "kangaroo court". May has said she considers the matter closed. Others have refused to let it rest.

"In what world is it acceptable that the prime minister should be the arbiter of whether a politician she believes guilty of criminal conduct in office should face a criminal investigation?" said Tom Watson, Deputy Leader of the opposition Labour Party.

The leak, first reported in the Telegraph newspaper, said Britain would allow Huawei a role in building parts of its 5G network, setting London at odds with Washington, which wants allies to ban the Chinese firm from the next generation of communications technology.

Williamson, previously in charge of party discipline, was an important political ally for May as she struggled to steer Britain through Brexit, its biggest upheaval in decades, without a majority in parliament and no clear consensus about the best way to leave the European Union.

She announced in March she would step down if parliament accepted her Brexit deal, effectively launching a party leadership contest to choose her successor.

The Huawei leak has crystallised doubts about May's ability to keep her ministers in check and govern effectively. Meetings of the NSC are attended by senior cabinet ministers, several of whom are top candidates to replace May. It was widely assumed that the leak was intended to give rivals a chance to portray themselves as stronger than May on security.

"NATURAL JUSTICE"

May's own fate and that of her project to extricate Britain from the European Union are now in limbo after parliament rejected the Brexit agreement, forcing May to ask the EU for an extension. Brexit is now set for October, but what form it will take or whether it will happen at all are in doubt.

The delay means Britain must hold elections for the European parliament later this month at which May's Conservatives are expected to be trounced.

They are also forecast to lose hundreds of seats on local councils in elections on Thursday.

In firing Williamson on Wednesday, May said an investigation had left no other credible explanation for the leak except that Williamson was responsible.

Cabinet office Minister David Lidington, who fielded questions at an urgent parliamentary hearing on the affair on Thursday, said that May had nevertheless not accused Williamson of breaking the law. It was for police, not ministers, to decide whether a criminal offence had been committed and the government did not intend to refer the matter to prosecutors, he said.

Lawmakers, including Conservatives, called for all the evidence against Williamson to be made public.

"Natural justice demands that the evidence be produced so his reputation can be salvaged or utterly destroyed," said Desmond Swayne, a Conservative lawmaker.

Sky News reported that Williamson also wanted a criminal probe to clear his name.

(Reporting by William James and Elizabeth Piper; Editing by Peter Graff)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-03

11 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

Wish the police WOULD investigate things as I am convinced that there's more to this that meets the eye.
Imo..G Wlliamson has been " stitched up " for some unknown reason
No doubt the truth would come out if an investigative journalist could " follow the money trail ".

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I get the impression that T May is simply an idiot, who knows why he was sacked but I believe him when he says he had nothing to do with the leak, if he was to take it further it could destroy T May - as if that was something new - how she still remains in No10 is quite frankly shocking

• Like 2

Is GW’s recent dismissal, also for leaking information, an attempt to make it 'easier' for the UK to extradite Assange? Like a juxtapositioning of events designed to soften the impact among the public?

I should add that this is a bit of a wild guess but keep in mind that people like Assange are the greatest danger to government's that 'lie cheat and steal'.

Edited by Topdoc
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, smedly said:

we spend millions in the west to prevent technological infiltration spying and espionage and May wants to invite them right in to install and integrate their equipment as part of our main future communications infrastructure backbone - seriously  

we also enabled China these last 20 years by sharing all our technology designs blueprints and secrets in exchange for cheap labour - they reverse engineered pretty much all of it 

It is not the UK against China here - our own ruling class are firmly in bed with them:

Lord Browne of Madingley (former head of BP) is the Chairman of Huawei UK

Sir Anthony Cahn, David Cameron's head of UK T&I, is a board member of Huawei UK

John Suffolk, Cameron's Chief Information Officer, is a Huawei Senior VP

• Like 2

3 hours ago, smedly said:

I get the impression that T May is simply an idiot, who knows why he was sacked but I believe him when he says he had nothing to do with the leak, if he was to take it further it could destroy T May - as if that was something new - how she still remains in No10 is quite frankly shocking

Same kind of people. Here in Thailand and over there in UK. Both, Prayuth and May clinging to power. 

6 hours ago, malagateddy said:

Wish the police WOULD investigate things as I am convinced that there's more to this that meets the eye.
Imo..G Wlliamson has been " stitched up " for some unknown reason
No doubt the truth would come out if an investigative journalist could " follow the money trail ".

May does not want to refer it to the police, I wonder if when the Tories lose control of Government the next administration could ask the police to investigate? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, smedly said:

we spend millions in the west to prevent technological infiltration spying and espionage and May wants to invite them right in to install and integrate their equipment as part of our main future communications infrastructure backbone - seriously  

we also enabled China these last 20 years by sharing all our technology designs blueprints and secrets in exchange for cheap labour - they reverse engineered pretty much all of it 

I think this is more about not letting the Americans push us about, let Huawei contract to make antennas and other parts that can not be used to spy on us.

• Like 1

Just reading that G.W. probably will be making a speech that will finish terreeesa the apppeeesa off.
Should be fun.
Have a lovely evening.

And do not forget that he knows where " all the bodies are buried "
Don't watch alone if he makes his speech.[emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]