Bangkok: How has it changed in 10 years?

I arrived in Bangkok in 2009. Oh the nostagia.

Lived there for half a decade, been up country for the last half.

I recently visited again. I still really like it, but it feels changed.

● It seems "cleaner".

▪Sukhumvit seems to be more about "legitimate business"

▪Particularly the lower sois seem to have been cleaned up a bit, even Soi 4 is quieter.

▪The the Villamart walkway between Soi 11 and 13 looks post-apocalyptic, just desolate. End of an era.

▪Soi 22 is vibeless

▪Patpong is not the same on an afternoon. SOL was depressing. Never thought I would say that.

● It is more expensive

▪ 140 baht a (small) bottle of beer after 8pm on Soi 4. What planet are they on?

▪150 baht for a fried rice in a restaurant or cafe. Seriously? I'd be better off eating some novelty international cuisine.

▪Food court food is damn pricey, for a bloody food court.

▪ 3000 a ST......hang on.....I need a moment to laugh out loud.

▪Property prices

● Development development development (this ain't a bad thing)

▪ The MRT and BTS development blew my mind. I have only been gone 5 years.

▪The quality of building is getting better

▪Do we really need another mall though?

▪Development of particular areas, On Nut, for example.

●People

▪Better English, civilized, more polite, starting to look like global citizens

▪ the democraphic of foreigners has changed: since when did Lad Prao have so many farang student-looking types??

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Like 1

Bangkok is being cleaned up especially between Asoke and Nana. complete sois ripped up (13 and 15 so far) and massive drain pipes installed and new concrete rd. Street bars and the filth they bring with them (Lady boys and Nigerians) thankfully banned, Street stalls 90% gone and a new footpath just laid down from soi 4 to T21

No doubt about it Bangkok is developing as it should which suits its citizens but not so much the expat that misses 3rd world charm

Real estate has exploded in price and rents along with it so not the place to be for poorer pensioner expats

Edited by madmen

I remember driving my car along Rachadamri Road and getting it bogged in a pot hole quite close to where Isetan Central World Shopping mall is today back in the floods of 83. Then you couldn't see the holes in the road for the flood water. I just left the car there as no one would help, and got a taxi home. GF of the time none too impressed, but she was soon gone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Depends. If it's your first few months and years, you don't have any basis for comparison, so there's still the rush that being new to a place and all its forbidden fruits can bring. For those of us with a longer perspective? Not so much, but then if we're wise we move away from the overpriced bars and the bad attitudes into other lives.

how does poor=wise? I would have thought the exact opposite. If you cant afford a measly 150 bhat/pint of beer then clearly there was some poor planning the last 40 years.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

down hill for fun in Bangkok since 2014.

too many self-obsessed poser coyote girls. :cheesy:

Captain

I have no idea what a coyote girl is? Same as a Klingon? 

I’m not really into girls - but a Klingon might be interesting.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, peterb17 said:

Captain

I have no idea what a coyote girl is? Same as a Klingon? 

I’m not really into girls - but a Klingon might be interesting.

well they have cute tails and ears and big brown eyes.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, madmen said:

Bangkok is being cleaned up especially between Asoke and Nana. complete sois ripped up (13 and 15 so far) and massive drain pipes installed and new concrete rd. Street bars and the filth they bring with them (Lady boys and Nigerians) thankfully banned, Street stalls 90% gone and a new footpath just laid down from soi 4 to T21

No doubt about it Bangkok is developing as it should which suits its citizens but not so much the expat that misses 3rd world charm

Real estate has exploded in price and rents along with it so not the place to be for poorer pensioner expats

Completely agree. Glad you added the bit about property prices for the benefit of the ill-informed "never buy in Thailand brigade". Soi 11 is also half gone with new developments opening up, and God Bless them, Hemingways reappearing (although not close to the old place in terms of character and atmosphere). 10 years time you will not recognise this part of Suk. Lots of places in the world for the "old-charm" old-boys to find with, as they like to remind everyone, very flexible and generous visa requirements. Just a few more crap-oles like Beer Garden to demolish and it is onwards and upwards....!

Anyone know whats happening at the top end of Soi 7?

RtS

1 hour ago, madmen said:

how does poor=wise? I would have thought the exact opposite. If you cant afford a measly 150 bhat/pint of beer then clearly there was some poor planning the last 40 years.

Do ordinary Thai blokes pay 150bht for a beer, or just the hi-so ones...?

15 hours ago, CGW said:

I lived in Bangkok from 89-97, have worked there since and still visit often. Bangkok has changed into a capital city! just like a lot of other cities around the world where life seems to be centred around Malls and shopping, lots of decent mainstream bars now & a lot of decent places to eat - at a price. The night-life is nothing compared to what it used to be, but then neither am I - if you knew Bangkok in the early nineties it was the best place in the world for night-life (the early eighties my award went to Manilla!) now - lots of comparable places, its lost the heart and soul it used to have for sure - for me! 

So, any details about the nightlife in the early 90s?

I was just starting primary school then, haha

All the places I used to eat are gone, I think. The open-air seafood place on Soi 7, similar one on Soi 33/1 and another down the far end of Soi 26 or 24.

The butch waitress in Suzy Wong’s was still there last time I went.