"Morally gross Russian beg-packers" face hail of criticism from Thais and foreigners alike

webfact

36 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't give to beggars (I'm not proud of that) and many of them are indeed scammers, but honestly, how do people know for sure that these guys (one of them is quite cute which I'm sure isn't hurting the revenue) specifically are scammers? Probably doesn't cut it. 

"how do people know for sure that these guys specifically are scammers?"

Talk to them. Discuss their situation.

Then tell them you can get super cheap black market tickets but they must give you up front money.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, rabas said:

"how do people know for sure that these guys specifically are scammers?"

Talk to them. Discuss their situation.

Then tell them you can get super cheap black market tickets but they must give you up front money.

I assume you're joking. The last thing most people would want to do is to engage with such people, unless they're looking for a date with the cute one. 

A big difference with another foreign beggar I saw in Silom. He was sitting around the bank on the border, worn jacket and sunburn.

And yes I also remember him, as he looked like Tom Hanks when 'Forrest' reached the coast in the movie Forrest Gump.

1 minute ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Let's not forget that Russia is still Asia despite their white. Just go to Pai and work in one of the bars handing out flyers.

I stopped going to Pai in 2005 i thought it was bad> Khao San Road north now. Ruined

Don't care about race or nationality.
As long as they are doing something eg. play music or sell something, I might donate some money.
But just standing around is lame and stupid.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Perhaps a more honest sign would be OK?

We love Thailand. We don't want to go home to the hellscape that is Moscow. Have you tasted our food? No spice.  Help us finance our continued stay in Thailand. When we go home we'll tell more people like us what suckers you are. 

Better to beg than to steal anyway. Difficult to comment on a picture or on a post without knowing what caused them to beg. What can you really do when you lose your bag with wallet, phone, and passport faraway from home...

So let's consider a couple of possibilities.

1) These two guys, who don't look particularly shabby, have both run our of moment in Thailand due to genuinely getting in trouble. Neither of them has a single family or friend who is able to help them, so they ask/bed for money.

2)These two guys, who don't look particularly shabby, have both run out of money in Thailand due to underestimating how much they would spend on having a good time (a good time they perhaps want to extend?). Neither of them has a single family or friend who is prepared to sponsor their continued partying, so they ask/beg for money.

Hmmmmmmmm ????

This style of travel is promoted in a TV series called ''the kindness diaries''where a spiritual man travels around the world ''on the kindness of strangers''.....I call it freeloading

maybe they should talk to that russian prossie, who was "raising money" in front of the soi 7 Subway for ten years+.  Might even still be there..almost as much of a fixture as "The slug."

1 hour ago, webfact said:

"Real time, Skywalk from Siam BTS to Central World, these f**kin young trash traveling scamming people who mostly don't even have the privilege to get out of the country. Some stupid Thai people are giving some tho this act in general isn't just illegal but is morally gross. "

I don't know what fool said this.

Usually English TEFL types, or sexpats with a batgirl on their seem trying to increase their low self esteem, by self righteous idignation.

Beggars are welcome in Thai/Asian culture.

They give the opportunity for one to show compassion or gain merit.

One can give or not give, but don't judge, what have they done to you.

Another thing, there are genuine cases. Anyone reading this could fall prey to alcoholism, drug addiction or another mental disorder and find themselves down and out, behoove me I've seen the almighty fall.

31 minutes ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Let's not forget that Russia is still Asia despite their white. Just go to Pai and work in one of the bars handing out flyers.

Let's not forget that Russia is still Asia despite their white.

Please can you explain this nice sounding statement?

(lovely train of thought, your entire post)

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

Some foreigners even suggested "jail time" or "removal of testicles"?

Well possibly going to far, but there again the later might spare us further generations of spungers... 

loitering is not a right.  Being indigent in a foreign country could easily be a deportable offense.  They have a consulate or embassy...Of course I do not do business with the very dark skinned, but the russians are a classic case of dont trust people that are too white.

3 minutes ago, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

In Europe there are lots of foreign beggers. 

I’m not saying what these Russians are doing is okay! 

But why is it okay in Europe and if we said similiar things to what is being said in BKK we would be branded racist. 

Pipe  down RACIST????

I spent years "on the road" and when finances got short I would look for work or move to a country where work was allowed.  They are actually some of my best experiences looking back.  I would never dream of begging or even trying to borrow from friends/family.

I do however realise that sometimes all your best plans sometimes go pear shaped and you need to ask for help.  Problem is sometimes some people take advantage and then make it hard on those who really do need help.  Example is a guy I know who has lived off borrowed money from month to month for years.  But it hasnt been just to survive.  Its so he can be seen on Facebook staying in 5 star hotels in popular tourist spots on weekends and holidays.  All about show.  Not long ago his Thai wife got sick and needed an operation.  Even though he already owed money to most of his friends he went around crying to borrow more so his wife could get better.  At the same time his family back home set up a GoFundMe supported by the same sad story.  However what most didnt realise is he was still driving around in his new "sports" car that he refuses to sell!!

2 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Some foreigners even suggested "jail time" or "removal of testicles"?

Seems like the patrons of Thai Visa have been actively contributing to the Facebook discussion? 

Yes, civilized farang beg on GoFundMe or run up uninsured medical bills and expect everyone from family to friends back home or in Thailand to raise money for them. Or they hire visa agents to conceal their lack of money to meet immigration requirements. 

This sitting on the pavement with homemade posters nonsense is besmirching the (delusional) farang brand name.

9 minutes ago, geisha said:

The police take Asian beggars away, I saw them once load a very old lady beggar into the back of a police truck .So why not the western ones ? 

It's just a picture. Maybe the feds came and disappeared them after the pic was taken

Archived