"Morally gross Russian beg-packers" face hail of criticism from Thais and foreigners alike

webfact

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

any one else here walked in a park or shopping mall and had a old woman with one child sticking a hand out at them?

for me multiple times

I found that if I blow my nose on a tissue or find some rubbish in my pocket it helps to try and put it in the hand and then to wai

why do people get so angsty about begging, all you need to do is ignore or give money

30 minutes ago, cedel said:

the guy with the panel in English even seems to have 2 smartphones in his pocket...Not so poor as they pretend maybe then...;-)

Is that two iPhones in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I find people begging distasteful wherever it happens and whatever nationality they are. I don't know the circumstances of these two, though I am sure they have other options to get home without having to do this.

i agree for those that are healthy and young
BUT to lump all begging as distasteful?
how would you make it in life if you were homeless, no family, legless and 50 years old?

4 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

i agree for those that are healthy and young
BUT to lump all begging as distasteful?
how would you make it in life if you were homeless, no family, legless and 50 years old?

I was legless and homeless when in Bangkok in 1992. I turned myself around.

Thanks to the British guy having coffee at 7 am in Pat Pong, when I asked him for 50 baht for a bottle of Sang Thip, he took me to hospital, and paid the first night. I could be dead if it want for him.

I will never forget that, when I see a beggar.

2 hours ago, donim said:

So they did not get enough money for a ticket yet, as I did see the exact same duo six months ago in Rangsit. Begging with the same paper in thai and other in english, standing on the pedestrian bridge.

One guy shorthaired and the other long 'rasta a like' hair and wearing the same shoes from vans, although it looks new.

Ah.. that where the collected money went!

I'd beg to get out of Rangsit.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

It's a scam. IMO they are just trying to raise money to supplement their holiday. Let them ring their parents if they need money to get back home. Bludgers.

If I was the general, I would treat this as a form of busking, without the instruments.

Or correctly, a scum baggers scam, they have no morals this type of low life, they will be running guns and flesh in the future, lock then up and throw the key away until mummy comes to LOS and pays their fares. 

28 minutes ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

It's just a picture. Maybe the feds came and disappeared them after the pic was taken

"feds" refers to some authority in a federal style central government. What do you think it means in Thailand?  Do you think the US FBI polices the streets in Bangkok?

Well dressed, nicely groomed, look well fed, hmmmm, hard times must have come quick, like overnight,

As others have said, contact family, friends, embassy, etc, but lot of gulable people out there, if they want to throw their money away, as the saying goes a fool and his money are easily departed. Some said cute looking, maybe they can sell their butts on the street if they so desperate, compete with the ladyboys.

Without knowing the nature of 'their trouble', it's difficult to be supportive or critical, however seeking the assistance of their family and friends wild be a good initial strategy.

Earlier comment about not all farang are rich are true. If these guys could afford to travel away on holiday, then they should have planned travelling home (and their spending inbetween. (That includes having a 'Plan B' for unforseen trouble). It sounds like there will be more attention to 'begpackers' by Thai Authorities. 

Some peoples empathy only extends to those they percieve to be greatly similar to themselves.  There are frequent posts on TV from expats in financial strife, other expats often offer to help, why aren't they being referred to as begpats here?

As usual the rabid dogs of ThaiVisa can't wait to get stuck in, calling for all manner of extreme and ridiculous sanctions on these harmless kids, while they rest their fat bellies on the counter, wheeze and call for another beer. Cue more opprobrium from the idle expat brigade.

I'm afraid that too many posters here are too young to know how they ( the older Russians) grew up behind the Iron curtain without the chance of traveling.

The smarter ones use GoFundMY A-se, others are begging with fake signs that they ran out of money.

After the big-legged German fooled the whole nation and then showed photos on how he'd spent the "donations", it went viral and not in favor of tourists who ran out of money.

Don't they need a roundtrip ticket to make it to Thailand first place? Without one, they wouldn't even make it to Bangkok. So yes, these people are liars and beggars who only want to extend their holiday. 

2 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

As usual the rabid dogs of ThaiVisa can't wait to get stuck in, calling for all manner of extreme and ridiculous sanctions on these harmless kids, while they rest their fat bellies on the counter, wheeze and call for another beer. Cue more opprobrium from the idle expat brigade.

Have you read the overstayer's post two days ago, asking for advice on how to pay his overstay fine, which he had, who hadn't eaten for four days?

I got in touch with him, and it turned out that he's an honest guy who didn't ask anybody to help him out.

My point being is that those who'd deserve some financial help wouldn't go and beg for money to extend their holiday. These guys must have had a roundtrip ticket to get into Thailand, right?

I do not like liars, no matter what nationality they are. 

Thaivisa asks: What do you think?

Morally gross?

Bang them up? or 

Doing no harm leave them alone?

They are liars because they had to show a return ticket to get into Thailand. There are many others who'd deserve some financial help in this country, but they don't get it, because there's no social net. 

Archived