Report - Retirement "extension of stay" at C.W.

You were unlucky about the lack of senior officers.  Maybe they are attending the coronation. Like you, I was not asked for a TM 30 but did need to sign the two new forms and draw a rudimentary map of the location of my apartment.  Last month when everyone was onboard, my application was processed very quickly.  I asked a clerk at the re-entry desk if he could expedite my permit and he did!  No money involved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, MikeN said:

...the only thing different from before was a couple of new forms to sign acknowledging the new money in the bank rules and penalties for overstay...

I remember reading that some applicants for an extension of stay were given these forms in Thai language to sign. Were yours in Emglish? Were you given a copy to keep for yourself?

19 minutes ago, Maestro said:

I remember reading that some applicants for an extension of stay were given these forms in Thai language to sign. Were yours in Emglish? Were you given a copy to keep for yourself?

I got a copy of the new money rules to keep, all in english. ( not Emglish, LOL) The overstay form was in english, the one about what happens if your visa conditions change was in Thai and English, perhaps that is also for marriage visas ? And the other one, about applying for an extension (NOT the TM7 itself) was in Thai and english. Those 3 were kept on file by Immigration, plus the acknowledgement copy of the money rules that I signed.

2 hours ago, MikeN said:

Then the paperwork went over to the senior officer for signature and double checking, and that's when things really slowed down. It took her nearly 2 hours to get through to my file, they really needed another senior officer on checking duty. Finally at around 4pm the other intern ( a ladyboy or a big butch girl?) came out with my passport. Luckily I've got a distinctive sticker on the cover of mine, because there is no way anybody could understand "her" attempts at foreign names !

Yeah, it happened to me too this year. The draw-a-map interview happened rather quickly after lunch, but then an almost 2-hour wait till the butch-kathoey intern emerged from behind the wings with my passport in her manly hands. In years past, I never had to wait for more than 45 min. And it wasn't for the lack of IOs going to the coronation. It appeared that those on duty were excessively more burdened by their main (I was going to say "side") business of taking care of the agents and their charges and lone farangs were put aside until that were done!

• Like 1

Your experience sounds very similar to mine. Everything going smoothly, and then a huge delay for the final sign off.

Since writing my extension report above, I have wondered about the map. Not sure whether it's to prove you know where you live, or whether IMM intend to visit.

3 minutes ago, samtam said:

I have wondered about the map. Not sure whether it's to prove you know where you live, or whether IMM intend to visit.

I got the map treatment at CW in Sep. 2018. Was required to hand-draw it on the spot, not really an issue but then I wasn't looking for the "best map of the day" award. I assume they want to get a general feel about whether you really live where you say you live. Or maybe they want to make sure us older chaps can find our way home?

I bring along a Google Maps printout, a Streetmaps "photo" of my street/building, and a photo of myself standing in front of the building, with the street number(s) and building name visible. Haven't been asked for these, yet.

I think they can find you if they want to visit?

45 minutes ago, samtam said:

Your experience sounds very similar to mine. Everything going smoothly, and then a huge delay for the final sign off.

Since writing my extension report above, I have wondered about the map. Not sure whether it's to prove you know where you live, or whether IMM intend to visit.

I wondered about that. I have one on my phone, and the co-ordinates in there somewhere too. But this 'draw me a map of your house, you have 30 seconds' sounds like a test.

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I wondered about that. I have one on my phone, and the co-ordinates in there somewhere too. But this 'draw me a map of your house, you have 30 seconds' sounds like a test.

Mine was already done, sitting in my folder just in case it was needed ....which it was.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MikeN said:

Mine was already done, sitting in my folder just in case it was needed ....which it was.

Oh I did one years ago, the idea being to hand a print of it out or forward it to someone to find my place. Delivery people were the main reason, but I soon learned they were pretty useless at reading maps and I might as well have given them a blancmange. Works with the younger guys now but using google share or the Grab app. 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Oh I did one years ago, the idea being to hand a print of it out or forward it to someone to find my place. Delivery people were the main reason, but I soon learned they were pretty useless at reading maps and I might as well have given them a blancmange. Works with the younger guys now but using google share or the Grab app. 

That seems very true about people here not understanding maps. Basically due to not learning anything useful at school to do with geography.

After a few years of refining a map to my house, I feel I have it sorted now and can send it to anyone. It's in Thai and English on the same map, and also has the address and GPS co-ordinates on it.

Edited by bluesofa
grammar
  • Like 1

(Long) Report: Extension of stay, retirement, bank method.

Report from May 3rd.

Took bus 29 from BTS Mochit to Laksi (only 25 min, traffic is mostly towards central BKK in the morning), then taxi to Govt. Complex. Arrived just after 8 am, too late for the early que numbers (which seemed to go up to 400 or so). Place seemed very busy today. Was first customer at one of the banks in the basement at 08.30 to get a passbook update and the 'account conformation letter'. Off to one of the two copy shops (these will also make pictures for 100B) past the CPfood (clearly marked). Got to the front desk at 

08.45, brief look at passport only and handed a number in the high forties for the L-section.  Que moved rather quickly (this time counter 41, just around the corner was alsoopen) with a few people not turning up. The already mentioned dragon started handing out three forms to people seated in front of L, stating (in Thai only, seemed unable to speak English?) that these were important. These were 1) a form (think it is called 'statement 3') in which you swear that you still live at ................., 2) overstay rules and 3) a brief one saying something like you can only use the ex-tension of stay/visa whatever for the specific category stated (i.e. cannot work with a retirement extension, etc).

My turn came at ca. 10.30. Handed in:

Passport (plus copy front page, last 18 months worth of stamps)

Bank book (plus copy)

TM.6 (plus copy)

Bank letter

TM.7 with one pic on the back (add your phone number)

IO had a brief look at the documents, asked to sign every page and stamped some of thepages. She then asked me to draw a map (basically the only thing different from last year) and seemed quite pleased that I had one (and yes, I did use a ruler) but barely glanced at it. Took a pic, collected the fee (1,900 B) and stamped the extension in my passport. Then gave me a form with the new seasoning rules.

At this point most people are send to the supervisor (?) who sits at the back, left-hand side of each cubicle. Not this time, IO told me to wait outside while one of the assistantsdisappeared with my passport/bank book. So I settled down (now 10.40) and prepared fora potentially long wait.  However, about 15 min later an assistant appeared with a basket containing ten passports or so (maybe some senior IO does the signing batch-wise. First held up four US passport and called out the names. She then came over to me (I think she  could not pronounce my name) and handed me my passport/bank book ('ribroy').

No mention of TM.30 (though I think it is wise to get it done) or having to show that the balance over the next three months is >800,000B (guess that they might/will check it du-ring the next extension). 

Walked out just before 11 am and took of my necktie five seconds later (yes, the outward appearance is very important here!).

Edited by cormanr7
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, cormanr7 said:

Walked out just before 11 am and took of my necktie five seconds later (yes, the outward appearance is very important here!).

Thanks for the report.

A few interesting nuggets, esp. the TM-30 observation. Perhaps one has been filed for you?

2:15 seems quite reasonable, a bit like total time in years past. Would be easy to fold on a reentry permit and 90-day report, if necessary.

Well there was a potential snag in the TM.30 stuff: I had just come back from abroad and found that the old desk staff in my apartment had all left (disagreement with the owner) and replaced by three girls who had never heard of a TM.30. Pointed them in the right direction but they still seemed confused but would 'try' to file one (so I do not know if this actually was performed, not sure how you can know this anyway if they do it online?). So took my chances. However, I am 100% sure the IO typed my address (which was the same as last year) in the computer using the information on the back of the TM.7 (there is nothing else there). Nevertheless I would suggest to get the TM.30 stuff done, I guess they will start checking in the (near?) future or maybe they were just lenient because of the festivities, whatever.