Hymns no longer most popular funeral song, as people favour of Frank Sinatra and Ed Sheeran

snoop1130

Hymns no longer most popular funeral song, as people favour of Frank Sinatra and Ed Sheeran

by Sarah Young

bfghfg.jpg

Traditional hymns are no longer being regularly requested at funerals as new research reveals not a single one made this year’s top 10 most popular list.

When it was first compiled in 2016, the list featured hymns such as "The Lord Is My Shepar", "All Things Bright and Beautiful", and "Abide With Me".

However, for 2019 all three were replaced with modern day pop songs like Ed Sheeran’s "Supermarket Flowers" and "You Raise Me Up" by Westlife which both made their debut. 

The top three funeral songs this year have remained in the same spot since 2016, with "My Way" by Frank Sinatra at number one, followed by "Time to Say Goodbye" by Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman, and "Somewhere over the Rainbow" by Eva Cassidy.

Full Story: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/funeral-songs-popular-music-frank-sinatra-ed-sheeran-hymns-songs-coop-a8896156.html

Once I found out who Frank Sinatra really was, I could no longer enjoy his music. I have heard from multiple sources, including one who knew him, that he was a total creep, an extremely violent man, and one who liked to inflict pain on others. 

He was a singer of sweet and gentle love songs, but Frank Sinatra, the man, was one tough customer. He mingled with mobsters, denounced reporters as ``bums and parasites,″ slugged a writer outside Ciro’s nightclub and traveled with a squad of protectors often called his ``goons.″ All the complexities that go into a human being were played out in him in the darkest and brightest colors,″ said his unauthorized biographer Kitty Kelley. I spent more than four years studying this man’s life, and I found a man who would give a check to friends in trouble, would give to charity and threw a woman through a plate-glass window, nearly severing her arm.″

https://www.apnews.com/0af017c34de3fc1f5363445a0e7fb2e6

In addition, the man just had no taste in music. He was quoted as saying 

“My only deep sorrow,” he said, “is the unrelenting insistence of recording and motion picture companies upon purveying the most brutal, ugly, degenerate, vicious form of expression it has been my displeasure to hear—naturally I refer to the bulk of rock ‘n’ roll.

“It fosters almost totally negative and destructive reactions in young people. It smells phony and false. It is sung, played and written for the most part by cretinous goons and by means of its almost imbecilic reiterations and sly, lewd—in plain fact dirty—lyrics, and as I said before, it manages to be the martial music of every sideburned delinquent on the face of the earth.

“This rancid smelling aphrodisiac I deplore. But, in spite of it, the contribution of American music to the world could be said to have one of the healthiest effects of all our contributions.”

What a non visionary idiot. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 9:08 AM, spidermike007 said:

Once I found out who Frank Sinatra really was, I could no longer enjoy his music. I have heard from multiple sources, including one who knew him, that he was a total creep, an extremely violent man, and one who liked to inflict pain on others. 

He was a singer of sweet and gentle love songs, but Frank Sinatra, the man, was one tough customer. He mingled with mobsters, denounced reporters as ``bums and parasites,″ slugged a writer outside Ciro’s nightclub and traveled with a squad of protectors often called his ``goons.″ All the complexities that go into a human being were played out in him in the darkest and brightest colors,″ said his unauthorized biographer Kitty Kelley. I spent more than four years studying this man’s life, and I found a man who would give a check to friends in trouble, would give to charity and threw a woman through a plate-glass window, nearly severing her arm.″

https://www.apnews.com/0af017c34de3fc1f5363445a0e7fb2e6

In addition, the man just had no taste in music. He was quoted as saying 

“My only deep sorrow,” he said, “is the unrelenting insistence of recording and motion picture companies upon purveying the most brutal, ugly, degenerate, vicious form of expression it has been my displeasure to hear—naturally I refer to the bulk of rock ‘n’ roll.

“It fosters almost totally negative and destructive reactions in young people. It smells phony and false. It is sung, played and written for the most part by cretinous goons and by means of its almost imbecilic reiterations and sly, lewd—in plain fact dirty—lyrics, and as I said before, it manages to be the martial music of every sideburned delinquent on the face of the earth.

“This rancid smelling aphrodisiac I deplore. But, in spite of it, the contribution of American music to the world could be said to have one of the healthiest effects of all our contributions.”

What a non visionary idiot. 

I'm not sure moral deficiencies are that relevant when considering great writers, musicians or artists.I am less judgemental than you and more importantly Sinatra was a very great artist.

As to his denunciation of rock "n' roll, perhaps it was just fear of the new and as in the clip below perhaps an awareness he had come up someone from a rock "n" roll background who was at least as great an artist and in my opinion an even greater one.

Edited by jayboy