Do you trust Mobile Banking apps here?

2 hours ago, Caine said:

I do 6 months about in Thailand, as soon as I try to access my Santander U.K. mobile account. Santander immediately block any approach from  Thailand. Just goes to show how worldwide banks view Thailand they know it’s just full of thieves. Including the banking system 

I can access Barclays, Nationwide, First Direct, Transferwise, and other financial institutions from Thailand, no VPN, no problems at all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Caine said:

I do 6 months about in Thailand, as soon as I try to access my Santander U.K. mobile account. Santander immediately block any approach from  Thailand. Just goes to show how worldwide banks view Thailand they know it’s just full of thieves. Including the banking system 

Never have a problem and access regularly from Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, The Theory said:

Apps that you have in your phone could cause problem. Not all apps are safe. Some made for stealing phone dada. 

Example ? There are some VPN apps. 

Please explain.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Please explain.

Some apps and some free apps are just made for stealing data from phones. Even some VPN apps could steal your information while you believe that you are using a secure coded line. Some people have a bad habit of installing any app that could become useful  someday. Just make sure all other apps are closed while you check your account. That would be helpful. And never keep your bank app open while you are not using it.

Edited by The Theory
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Theory said:

Mans never keep your bank app open while you are not using it.

A banking app session will promptly close when not in use, i.e. within a minute or two on default setting.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

A banking app session will promptly close when not in use, i.e. within a minute or two on default setting.

The session expires, but the app remains open in your phone.

Edited by The Theory
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, csmith said:

If you want a paper trail .... then anything you see on a screen can be printed on to a dead tree ... or just take screen shots to put in a folder.

Thanks.. but, if everything dies - all info gone - how would the bank know if my 12 noon screen shot was valid 10 minutes later? They could say I withdrew it all... right? 

I don't really worry this but have wondered what would happen if the entire net was compromised and goes black one day.... 

31 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

Erm, yeah.  Not sure what your point is, though.

Need more ? 

The passcode that bank had sent you + your password will let you access your account. 

The passcode that bank sent you at the time of opening online banking is always in (stored) your phone bank app. 

Edited by The Theory
  • Confused 1

You're hard work, my friend.  My login details aren't stored on my smartphone as they've been constant for years.

Anyway, up to you as they say in LOS.  If you don't want to keep up with technology then stick to your existing routine.  I really don't have the time or inclination to convert you.  

• Like 1

A lot of posts. Basically most apps are safe here at this moment. Not so much a couple of years ago. 

Anyway, you should never keep big amounts of money in the account that you use the most for transferring money. 

Banking apps are tied to the phone, so even if you give your login credentials and other codes to someone, that should not work. Unless a hacker cloned your phone.

For the people who say: I will always use cash. That will change. In my home country already some shops do not accept cash anymore! Of course Thailand is quite far from being a cashless society 555

20 hours ago, moana said:

There's absolutely no problem using them on public WiFi. They all use TLS encryption with hardened cipher suites, so no one eavesdropping between you and the bank can gather anything useful. 

Someone eavesdropping can gather log in information 

I have one bank account for living and one for online / mobile use. I deposit into the online / mobile account as need an there is never a balance over 3-4000 BHT. As far as using this account on my mobile I have it tied to Grab only. I do not have Bangkok Bank or SCB apps loaded. No Line pay etc etc. I use cash in daily life. My lifestyle doesn't dictate that I know exactly what is happening with my bank account 24/7. I can wait until I get home and check if need be.

Opps. Forgot to mention that often times the security breach is not in the app you are using like SCB mobile banking but in another app that has been installed on your phone that has permission to do nasty things that might compromise your banking security. Example: if you install a 3rd party keyboard does this send your password to a remote server that in turn logs into your account gleaned from your phone?

I haven't seen a lot of evidence in the media of this happening but there has been some.

Edited by jmd8800

5 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

Someone eavesdropping can gather log in informatio

They absolutely cannot. Login information is encrypted, just like everything else.

Edited by moana
  • Like 1