Local elections deliver Brexit bashing for Britain's May and opposition

rooster59

52 minutes ago, tebee said:

I rather suspect Bojo will proclaim himself the saviour of brexit, run on a no deal ticket for the leaders job, then get in as pm and revoke article 50.

He's never been one to let his principals get in the way of his ambitions ...

A bit like the EU Commission then!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, malagateddy said:

B of E..one of the biggest liars re project fear b4 the ref.
No doubt once again trying to look after their finsncially well healed friends.
Cairney is ex gkodman sachs I believe

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

So you are ignoring the election results , which are pretty illuminating , and just blaming a bogeyman....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nausea said:

Yeah, the big question is was this a protest vote or a vote for remain. Should we get to the European Elections I guess we'll find out the answer. 

Agreed the European elections are arguably more important than the recent one.

For one thing, it will see the debut of two new political parties:  Change UK and the Brexit Party.  Neither of these were on the ballot in the local elections.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

So you are ignoring the election results , which are pretty illuminating , and just blaming a bogeyman....

Why illuminating?

I knew from friends my business and pub visits the electorate were unhappy before the council elections. Beyond that what was your take.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Yea Right ,keep on dreaming . May lost 1000 seats because she did not give us Brexit .

Correction: May did not (and could not possibly) deliver the *fantasy* brexit the brexiters had dreamily voted for. Her duplicitousness is that she has not been honest about this.

The vote swung massively away from the Conservatives, no surprises there then, and from Labour to a far lesser degree, UKIP also lost but then they have been such a shambles of disagreeing members that we all know they are finished.

I think it was a one-finger salute to the main parties, especially the Conservatives but none of them of the big two parties, and UKIP can be trusted, and the LibDems have always been a joke and a recipient of the protest vote this time.   But consider one salient fact - the Brexit Party are disinterested in local elections, BUT they are going to fight tooth and nail for the Euro-Election seats and I would not be surprised if that didn't lead on to fielding candidates in any general election that is bound to come.

I hope they can find 650 candidates because Brexit will happen very swiftly after such an election if Nigel has his way. I can see the 17.4 million putting Nigel and the Brexit Party into the "cat-bird seat" in Westminster in a landslide not seen for millennia. Given the despair Theresa May has created across the nation I don't think it is a wild dream to see them win a GE.
Wonderful post..excellent

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Yea Right ,keep on dreaming . May lost 1000 seats because she did not give us Brexit .

And they gave them to the Liberals and the Greens because they will give you Brexit????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cliveshep said:

The vote swung massively away from the Conservatives, no surprises there then, and from Labour to a far lesser degree, UKIP also lost but then they have been such a shambles of disagreeing members that we all know they are finished.

I think it was a one-finger salute to the main parties, especially the Conservatives but none of them of the big two parties, and UKIP can be trusted, and the LibDems have always been a joke and a recipient of the protest vote this time.   But consider one salient fact - the Brexit Party are disinterested in local elections, BUT they are going to fight tooth and nail for the Euro-Election seats and I would not be surprised if that didn't lead on to fielding candidates in any general election that is bound to come.

I hope they can find 650 candidates because Brexit will happen very swiftly after such an election if Nigel has his way. I can see the 17.4 million putting Nigel and the Brexit Party into the "cat-bird seat" in Westminster in a landslide not seen for millennia. Given the despair Theresa May has created across the nation I don't think it is a wild dream to see them win a GE.

31 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

Wonderful post..excellent

Hard Brexiteer Dreamland

• Like 1

farage would never win a GE,Labour and the tories still have time to recover before the GE,they have to get off the fence and they will eventually as they have no option,10-15% of the vote at best,Labour and Tories would be in the low 20s with the Lib Dems somewhere in between,by time the next election comes there will of been 5 years of brexit carry on,people WILL tire of it.

"From Labour to a far lesser degree" this is factually inaccurate. Both Conservative and Labour share of the vote dropped by 7%, from 35% to 28%. The Tories lost far more SEATS because (As prof John Curtis explained) they had far more vulnerable seats to loose. In fact the Tories had already accepted that they would get a hammering. What was more surprising was the drubbing the LP received. I guess millions are now fed up with Corbyn's fence sitting Europhobia.

I don't think that the Brexit party should bother finding 650 candidates. In Scotland for a start they would be torn to shreds. Last time Farage was there he had to be rescued, because a large number of decent and noble citizens had the lying conman surrounded in a pub.  

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Hard Brexiteer Dreamland

the moderate brexiteers will tire of farage eventually,same as the NF who bore folks to death after 5-7 years of nonsense,folks will return to looking at income and standard of living/job prospects above patriotic waffle.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, transam said:

Well at least you have come clean and answers a few questions.

You think folk like me who live in Isaan live in a shed....Well, that's up to you...

You are going to exit the UK and cross the channel as planned and are now worried about your plans if Brexit happens...

I now understand your woe...But, good luck...

not worried about anything,Brits will still be welcome in portugal as the portuguese govt have already stated,i will be made a lot more welcome than you will by your thai masters ???? your choice of residence has been on a downward spiral for a good 5-10 years ????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nausea said:

Yeah, the big question is was this a protest vote or a vote for remain. Should we get to the European Elections I guess we'll find out the answer. 

impossible for the brexit party to do any worse than Ukip,just waiting now for tommy and the boys to jump on farages band wagon and give them lots of TV airtime ????

• Haha 1

"From Labour to a far lesser degree" this is factually inaccurate. Both Conservative and Labour share of the vote dropped by 7%, from 35% to 28%. The Tories lost far more SEATS because (As prof John Curtis explained) they had far more vulnerable seats to loose. In fact the Tories had already accepted that they would get a hammering. What was more surprising was the drubbing the LP received. I guess millions are now fed up with Corbyn's fence sitting Europhobia.
I don't think that the Brexit party should bother finding 650 candidates. In Scotland for a start they would be torn to shreds. Last time Farage was there he had to be rescued, because a large number of decent and noble citizens had the lying conman surrounded in a pub.  
I think you meant to say a shower of junkies..students full of buckfast and assorted oddities..lets face facts NG..edinburgh's full of them.tapatalk_1556504588916.jpegtapatalk_1556683992408.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

not worried about anything,Brits will still be welcome in portugal as the portuguese govt have already stated,i will be made a lot more welcome than you will by your thai masters [emoji38] your choice of residence has been on a downward spiral for a good 5-10 years [emoji1787]
Hows the youth unemployment in Portugal these days??
Mind you..the chicken piri piri is cheap..should go down well with you

10 minutes ago, bomber said:

not worried about anything,Brits will still be welcome in portugal as the portuguese govt have already stated,i will be made a lot more welcome than you will by your thai masters ???? your choice of residence has been on a downward spiral for a good 5-10 years ????

You will be able to meet up with Nadia Cann
For Brexiters abroad, this is another sticking point. Nadia Cann, 39, has lived in the Algarve for nine years and thinks Britain would be better off out of the EU.

Her brother-in-law is Portuguese, lives in the UK and claims benefits. She doesn’t agree with it.

https://www.ft.com/content/877e1c96-2cce-11e6-bf8d-26294ad519fc

• Like 2